• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Are private ski lessons worth the price?

gorgonzola

dunno if it's an option but see if there are any bump clinics around you can do. blue (pa) offers both race and bump clinics - basically focused group lessons. ive done the race clinic for 2 years now and its a ton of fun progressing with other people and theres been som real good folks in the class who just sign up as another night of gate running. i think tarponhead did the bump clinic last year ...i'd do it too but there just not enough days in the week

Creakyknees

Info

Hi, I am considering taking private ski lessons to improve my mogul skiing skills. I am wondering if its really worth it given that they are sooo expensive.
Would you recommend taking them or is there a better way to get the basics right for skiing moguls?

What ski area do you ski now. What state do you live in?

How many years have you been skiing?

catskillman

most mountains have day clinics for moguls - Hunter does this a few time a year and you will get good instructor - (Raul, Doug or Suzie). Well worth the price.

SKIQUATTRO

i believe they are worth it as long as you have the proper instructor for your needs....i took a 2hr private tele lesson 3 years ago and it fastforwarded my progress ten fold.....

RISkier

With group lessons you have absolutely no control over who you'll get and if there are any other students in the class you may not be able to focus on bumps. We've had very good instructors in groups and very poor ones. IMO, private lessons are too expensive to just walk up to the desk and sign up for a private. At minimum you should ask for a recently certified PSIA level III. I'd try to get recommendations for instructors. And there's no reason to not talk with the ski school director and ask for someone who is very good at teaching mogul skiing.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
From my perspective, a good instructor is quite cheap. In my case, a single mogul lesson opened up a dozen new trails at MRG that I'd either struggled with or avoided in the past. And it opened those trails every single time I go and at every mountain I ski. How much is that worth?

Charlie Schuessler

Private lessons are worth every penny!

Books written by professional instructors such as Warren Witherall and video’s produced by Al Hobart are very helpful, and combined with good instruction can help you develope skills fast.

However magazine articles are not…as I recall one of the larger ski magazine publishers hacked up Depio’s article to the point it was not close to what was stated in his book…

oakapple

There’s a conflation of a few issues here: what is worthwhile vs. what is affordable. A Mercedes is definitely a worthwhile car, but if you can’t afford one it’s academic.

If you can afford them, I think private lessons are absolutely worthwhile. You get the instructor’s undivided attention for the full hour (or whatever the length of the lesson). And you don’t have to worry about getting stuck in a group where the other students aren’t on your level.

The better you are at skiing, the greater your chances of getting an instructor who can’t help you — one who either isn’t good enough, or who can’t teach. But that hazard exists either in an individual or a group setting. The only advantage of the group lesson, in that respect, is that if the instructor isn’t very good, you haven’t wasted as much money!

I too have had the experience of signing up for a group lesson, and winding up with a semi-private one. That is certainly a very good deal, when you can get it.

gmcunni

Would you recommend taking them or is there a better way to get the basics right for skiing moguls?

if you are looking at "the basics" as you originally mentioned you may want to take a chance on the group lessons. its a small investment in time/effort and it could pay off for you.

I'm not insinuating that Okemo is THE place for ski lessons or that they are even on the map in terms of where to ski for good bumps but i got lucky there.

Okemo offers general black diamond group classes and even a bump specific class
Bump it Up - Whether you’re just getting started in the moguls or you’re looking to take your bump skiing to a new level, let Okemo’s pros provide the personalized coaching to get you there.

several years go i'd taken my kids to Okemo for lessons and to kill the morning i took the general advanced group lessons a couple of times. both times i did it i was the sole student. before starting out i was there with 3 or 4 instructors we talked about what i wanted to do and then they decided amongst themselves who would go with me (probably partially based on me and partially based on who felt like working).

during the 2nd lesson i told the guy i wanted to work on bumps so we spent about 1/2 the time doing that. i didn't come out of the lesson instantly a better bump skier but he gave me some great tips that i still think about today. For the price, those basic tips really paid off and got me to a point i was not a total spaz.

Trekchick

Hi, I am considering taking private ski lessons to improve my mogul skiing skills. I am wondering if its really worth it given that they are sooo expensive.
Sorry I haven't taken the time to read the thread, but I'll throw my 2 cents in, which is probably only worth 1 penny....
A private lesson is worth it depending on the instructor. Ask around and find out who is good and what they are good at teaching.

I've had a private lesson from Bob Barnes (formerly of Keystone and now at Copper).
Incredible!!!

My Brother In Law had a private lesson at our local hill with a guy who was fantastic considering that He(BIL) has some serious fear issues. It was worth every penny.

On the other hand, I've heard of people who have had bad lessons.......

All in all, do your homework, know who you're getting and go with a "good student" attitude. How much you learn depends a lot on YOU!

Black Phantom

Find someone that will video you skiing in bumps. Take turns with the camera. Capture yourselves on various grades of steepness.

Watch the video and be prepared. This is the best way to start to learn what the hell is going on or is not going on in many cases.

And don't hold your breath.

Black Phantom

not sure about that advice hoss.

hoss.jpg

abc

Is private worth the money?

- Yes if you get an instructor that can help you.

- A random instructor may or may not click or able to help you in the right way. It's a lot of money to throw away...

Skiing mogul is actually about skiing. Every little flaw in your skiing will amplify 10 times on moguls. There's so little room to cheat, fake, or catch your breath. You're either in balance, or not!

I've taken mogul specific lessons (group), which helps in knowing the tactics and applying them in the right place. But for the longest time, I couldn't quite apply some of the tactics I learned from the lesson. It was because there're some flaws in my basic skiing! :( When that got addressed to a degree (not fixed but considerably improved), moguls got a lot smaller. ;-)

eatskisleep

How about are private lessons worth the price for trying to teach a girlfriend or a friend to ski during a weekend/holiday period?

dropKickMurphy

....Skiing mogul is actually about skiing. Every little flaw in your skiing will amplify 10 times on moguls. There's so little room to cheat, fake, or catch your breath. You're either in balance, or not!...

Yeah, and bumps particularly unforgiving when they're firm.

A stiff, defensive posture will kill you in the bumps. But, if the bumps have always beaten you up, it's very difficult to assume tall, relaxed, balanced position that's essential for moguls.

If you can get a day where the snow is nice and soft, that's the best time to focus on bumps. It can be hard to find those conditions in the northeast in the winter. But in the spring it's a different story.
Soft, spring bumps are far more forgiving..and fun..for someone trying to learn mogul skiing. You can control your speed, which allows you to relax. Being relaxed allows you to absorb the terrain and start to develop a rhythm.

skiingrocks

Thanks a lot everyone for responding to my question regarding 'private lessons for mogul skiing'. This definitely the best skiing community online.