• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Are private ski lessons worth the price?

skiingrocks

Hi, I am considering taking private ski lessons to improve my mogul skiing skills. I am wondering if its really worth it given that they are sooo expensive.
Would you recommend taking them or is there a better way to get the basics right for skiing moguls?

jfrenchu

Pick a quiet midweek day,take a group lesson.they are just about private.my nephew was by himself on a thurs late aft

SkiDork

the chances are in a group lesson you won't be working on mogul skiing. My opinion is you need to find someone who knows how to ski moguls well (duh!) and use them as an instructor. Any average PSIA instructor might not be the best option. There is a book by DanDiro that explains all this better:

Also www.mogulskiing.net is another pretty good resource for questions like this. Good luck.

Chris Sullivan

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
The advice above from jfrenchu is correct if you are simply looking to get a private or semi private lesson for the cost of a group lesson.
If you are looking to work on a particular aspect of skiing such as moguls, racing or terrain feature use. The instructor that you are assigned will make all the difference in the world. If you want to get the most out of your Private Lesson contact someone in Ski School Management at the ski area that you intend to visit. Tell them exactly what you are looking for and be as objective as you can be about your current skill level. Most Ski School’s have a few instructors that are bump freaks and passionate about teaching mogul skiing. You, want to make sure you get one of those people.
If you come away from the lesson a better skier for the rest of your life it will probably be worth it.

Stache

Website
WWW.SKIWITHSTACHE.COM
Funny thing is that what you need for bumps is not best taught in the bumps.

You need to be able to do a string of hop turns quickly using pole timing and vertical motion.

Take that skill into the bumps and you will do OK.

Of course there is more to it than just that.

Skimaine

Ditto exactly what Chris said and I have had the same experience as KingM. Find the right instructor. Arrange for a weekday. I have had 1 hour lessons last close to 2 hours. Sometimes you can find discounts on lessons with seasons pass. Then practice the skills.

Sky

The mid-week group lesson approach may get you that private lesson.

DiPiro's book may help.

There's also a good techniqe discussed in The All Mountain Skier. Yes, reading vs doing argument.

However, the approach in the second book may give you that beginner approach which transfers to an advanced approach technique that may help you get started.

I DON'T ski moguls...so take my advice FWIW. Whenever I "think" of trying moguls, I prefer the All Mt Skier approach to start with. DiPiro's book (again, in my non-mogul skiing opinion) seems to have some OK beginner gidance and appears to have better advanced guidance.

PM me if yo want to explore the AMS pages on the subject.

Your mileage may vary. :>

Good luck.

deadheadskier

Staff member
There are several mogul fanatics that are members of the Alpinezone Community. I'd recommend hooking up with some of them on their outings and asking for pointers.

If you're ever at Ragged, I'd be happy to give you some pointers.

This of course is if Ragged actually has moguls this season. :???:

WWF-VT

If you are looking to work on a particular aspect of skiing such as moguls, racing or terrain feature use. The instructor that you are assigned will make all the difference in the world. If you want to get the most out of your Private Lesson contact someone in Ski School Management at the ski area that you intend to visit. Tell them exactly what you are looking for and be as objective as you can be about your current skill level. Most Ski School’s have a few instructors that are bump freaks and passionate about teaching mogul skiing. You, want to make sure you get one of those people.
If you come away from the lesson a better skier for the rest of your life it will probably be worth it.

+1

jimmywilson69

QUOTE]

i've read this book and Its not bad. I agree with sky and I think it might be better for someone in the intermediate to advanced range. Then again I am stuck skiing the poor moguls that are either seeded or "appear" in PA. any good lines usually get trashed by the snowboarders who think that moguls are for them. :angry:

my local place seed's bumps on a green and my son and I take several laps through it when we are there. I actually found that has increased my ability to ski them. I'm no Dan Dipiro, but I have imporved on the steeper bumps. As long as they aren't frozen solid VW Bugs!

dmc

any good lines usually get trashed by the snowboarders who think that moguls are for them. :angry:

waaaaaaah.... :)

Bad moguls skiers do just as much if not more damage.
Good mogul skiers can ski any line..

mister moose

The advice above from jfrenchu is correct if you are simply looking to get a private or semi private lesson for the cost of a group lesson.

Good advice if you get matched with the right instructor, but if you're on a tight budget private lessons can add up quickly. You might not click with the first instructor or two. The bump freak(s) might be out that day or already busy. My advice would be to take a few group midweek lessons after having discussed with the ski school director exactly what you are looking for. Take a bump clinic, another way to maximize instruction received per dollar spent. After that you will have met several instructors, and from that pool you will know which person helped your skiing the most. Then take a private or two if you feel you need some one on one to focus in on something you want to conquer. Likely after you have a midweek lesson and a clinic you'll have enough to work on for the rest of this season, and a roster of instructors to choose from for privates later on next spring or next year.

You can learn from watching and skiing with other good skiers, but remember just because they are good skiers that does not mean they are good teachers. You will learn, but less efficiently. Also, not all instructors are very good bump skiers. They can ski the bumps in PSIA certification style, but that is not what you're likely looking for.

The most famous bump instructor in the east still might not be the person that helps your skiing the most. Individual teaching style as well as learning style varies. That's why I encourage you to get to know several advanced instructors. You need to have the "Aha" moment - and you need to find the instructor whose individual style and talent is able to take you there.

Lastly, start the process out knowing that learning to ski bumps well is not the same as learning to use a new cell phone. You won't master it in an afternoon, or even a week. You need to practice. A lot. You need to train your balance and muscle memory to do new things, and get rid of some bad habits as well. Your progress will come in several steps, not all at once.

The best bump skiers I know are long time skiers that ski a lot of days per year. There's a reason they are that good, and once your equipment isn't holding you back there are no shortcuts. Good bump skiers are almost always passionate about skiing. How committed are you to get better?

skimawk

Great advice! I am a 25 year veteran ski instructor. The more the guest can give me as far as their goals, background, learning style,and true skill level, the better the lesson/program I can give them.

Be picky about the instructor. Your the boss, NOT the instructor. Finding the right instructor will help your technique, put also bring more passion to skiing and enjoying the whole mountain experience. Don't forget to tip that great instructor. If you come out to Vail/Beaver Creek send me a PM. I will be more then happy to get you to ski to the level of your smile in the bumps.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Pick a quiet midweek day,take a group lesson.they are just about private.my nephew was by himself on a thurs late aft

Agreed,and as said mooseman said, picking the right instructor is key. No need to pay top buck at a brand-name resort. The instruction is only as good as the instructor. There are lots of damn fine instructors at small places, Many of the good instructors are there not for the pay but for the perqs.
A private at Black is 55, Sugarbush 90 to 105.

If your schedule won't permit midweek, consider a private. Here's my experience with privates to work on special things, having taking a couple and having taken at least a dozen group lesson.

What you won't get out of a book is what YOU are doing wrong, and the atta-boy's you need when you get it right. Everyone has bad habits that need breaking.

Second, with a private, you get his/her undivided attention, and that includes valuable time on the lift talking. I pumped my instructors brain for everything I could on the lift. No chit-chat.

Last, if not offered, ask your instructor to summarize a couple take-aways at the end - a) the most important things you should keep in mind and b) one or two things YOU should be working on.

ts01

YMMV but in my case it was well worth it. About five years ago, I contacted the ski school director at a smaller local hill a week in advance, said I wanted a private with a PSIA Level III instructor to focus on moguls, asked who he'd recommend. Not surprisingly - he recommended himself. I've been skiing ten years and on principle take one lesson or clinic a year, and this was the best return on combined time and money of anything to date. It seemed like a big expense at the time but that two hour session in early January stayed with me the rest of the season, and moguls became not just doable but a major attraction. I don't think there's anything magic about LIII certification except it pretty much guarantees you'll get someone experienced and committed.

bigbog

Yes, ditto Chris's....think you could get some fanatical mogul instructor "names" from most top notch group instructors.
Found Dan's book = good stuff(for me anyways..)
Worshipped Nelson Carmichael VHSes...can't imagine someone not converting them to DVDs...and any other skiers...
Quite a lot of video stuff online, maybe mediocre technique..y/n?

Last edited: