• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ever Forget Something When You've gone Skiing?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
After reading on SkiVT-L about skiers getting on the gondi having forgotten to put their boots on, I thought of this.

It usually happens to me at the end of the day. Put my poles in the snowbank when loading the car and drive off. Come back 15 minutes later and they are gone.

But the worst, was when we used external racks and neither of us thought to close them down before driving off. We got on I-89, get up to speed and in the rear view mirror see two pair of skis (in bags) sailing down the highway. One pair skidded to the side. The second landed perfectly in the travel lane, but smack in the path of an 18-wheeler. Miracle from heaven, the truck straddled the skis. We went back to get them and the bags were torn to hell, but the skis were fine.

Yours?

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Oh yes.

A few years ago we were spending the weekend in Windham. We fight rush hour traffic (4 hours worth) and get up there right around 8pm when I realize I forgot our lift vouchers at home. So I went home to get them and drove back again. I had a company car at the time so I figured what the heck. I was super tired by the time I got back to the inn. Fell right asleep and was good to go the next morning.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I have never left anything at the mountain. I am not OCD except when it comes to leaving stuff in the lodge. I am the guy you might have remembered seeing looking under tables very thoroughly even though I already have my bag and boots on my shoulders and am walking towards the door.

I have very rarely forgotten socks. I now carry a bag of odds and ends in my car... spare socks, spare gloves, spare goggle, etc. Paying full resort price for a pair of socks that don't fit sucks.

And I have occasionally forgotten to pack touring gear and had the lifts on wind hold. That really sucks. But again, that is forgetting stuff at home, not at the mountain.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Once left our old place, which was b/w Mt. Snow and Flatton, to head to Killington for the day.....used to get up there in about an hour, right up 100.

I pulled into probably Bear Mt. lot and start unloading my gear....and realize I left my ski pants at home. DOH! So, hop back in the car and head to the access road and ran into one of the stores near the bottom...(It was large and I think used to be green back then) and found a pair of Columbia powder pants for $49. Cheapest pants in the place. I still have them.....(with a few duct tape patches).

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
On a sunny, late winter day taking my littlest to Crotched, I forgot my jacket at home. All I had was a fleece jacket. Not so bad till the sun went over the hill. My daughter skied veeeeeryyyy slooooooowly and it took everything I had to stay warm. Not the end of the world and I sure wasn't going to buy a jacket. I remember a couple places that actually rent pants and jackets - Pats Peak I think.

jaja111

Pants at least three times, poles at least two, gloves at least two. I'm the guy seen in the lot walking around his car saying out loud "are you serious?" or "you gotta be f#$%ing kidding me!". I always make do - no pants = wear shells, no poles = ski with no poles (quite recommended once in a while), gloves = multiple cheapo gloves found stashed in car or purchase.

crank

Forgot my boots - twice! You'd Think once would be enough. First time I was skiing with a bunch of guys and we had been staying in Waitsfield and skiing Sugarbush then went to Stowe for out last day and I left my boots in the lobby back in Waitsfield. about an hour and a half round trip . Sucked.

Second time was a trip to Jackson Hole. we had to people in a condo about 5 miles from the hill. It was the first powder morning in weeks and a bunch of us went to get on line for the tram probably an hour before opening. I left my boots back at the condo and didn't get up the hill for hours. Sucked but still got a great day in!

Clarkl23

Website
www.linehan-photography.com
Back in my college days I had a Fiat convertible (which my father nick named the red peril). The ski rack sat on the trunk and because the car was so low to the ground the ski tips were actually behind the car. Back then I was skiing on a pair of 207 Kneissl White Stars. I managed to somehow put them in the rack wrong and the skis slid down and I managed to grind off almost the whole tip on both skis on the ground. I actually skied on them once as a joke, but the edge on the side that had been ground way back pointed forward kind of like a snake fang.

I manged to have a ski shop do something similar when the guy doing a belt sand obviously got distracted, left the tip on the belt too long and both edges sprang straight forward like fangs. Yes, the shop gave me another pair of skis.

Clark

P.S. One space for a woman left for the Jay Peak 3-1/2 day trip. 110 headed to Jay Peak in about a month.

wa-loaf

I've had plenty of dreams where I'm on the lift when I realize I'm missing something important like skis or boots. Though I've never really forgot anything more important than gloves or goggles.

gmcunni

forgot my son's skis/poles/boots once. we'd driven about an hour before we realized it. since it was a day trip we just kept going and we got him rentals.

Warp Daddy

Left nice Reush Leather gloves in the lodge once -- i always carry multiple prs of gloves , socks , tech layers etc .

Last yr i had a zipper break on a Jacket on a cold day in January == Luckily i went to the Ski School staff and they let me BORROW a Nice Karbon Instructors Jacket for the day -- that is awesome customer service at a small place like Titus where "everybody knows your name"

I liked that jacket SOOO much i actually bought one last weekend :D-- as my inner "Jacket Whore" came out to play and couldn't be denied

deadheadskier

Staff member
rarely forget anything, but certainly over the years have forgotten my season pass, ski socks or goggles at home.

zinger3000

I forgot my poles once.

I had to bring my car to the mechanic for routine maintenance and took my skis, boots and poles out of the car beforehand. When I loaded it back up, I forgot my poles, which I didn't discover until I got to the mountain.

Rented a pair for $5.

Mildcat

Ive never forgot anything..

I may have forgotten something but I can't remember. :dunce:

I did lean my poles up against my quarter panel at Sugarloaf once and drove off without them. I didn't realize it until I went to Sunday River the next weekend. Double :dunce: :dunce:

dmc

The checklist for a day of in bounds skiing is pretty basic..

midd

I've forgotten poles a few times. I've then hit up the lost and found to borrow a pair for the day.

4aprice

The friendly skys of america have forgot to send my/our equipment several times. Arrived in Europe to no ski's one time. Once flew to Denver only to find out my ski's flew to Indianapolis. Forgot my boots on the way to Magic/Stratton last year but only got to 287 before I realized and only added an hour to my trip.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ