• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Random Beers

gorgonzola

beach weekend consisted of slammin a few miller lite 7oz ponies and landshark lagers (jimmy buffets margeritaville brewery) to keep cool in the sun and sand, water temps around 65-70 or so helped a bit too! followed up with alternating evenings of dogfish head head 60 min ipa and rogue dead guy ales at the crest tavern to wash down the mussels = some happy taste buds!

ctenidae

I'm a big fan of the SA Double Bock. I like it because it tastes really good and also gets me drunk pretty fast.

You're right though, HUGE malt, no hop. But from what I understand that's more or less the doppelbock style in a nutshell.

Holy Crappola, Batman! Marc's back! Should have known a beer thread would bring him out.

And yeah, that is the dopplebock style. Better, I think, than a Scottish, which sometimes has mud as a major ingredient.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I'm a big fan of the SA Double Bock. I like it because it tastes really good and also gets me drunk pretty fast.

You're right though, HUGE malt, no hop. But from what I understand that's more or less the doppelbock style in a nutshell.
I was really into the Sam Double Bock back in MA. Used to stock up because it was seasonal back then. Not sure if that is still the case if I am reading about someone drinking it in June. Then again, when it was a seasonal, I would buy a half dozen six packs and milk them for months at a time. I think I pushed one eight months and it still tasted great.

Then I discovered Long Trail Double Bag which has a very similar taste but the Double Bag is way way smoother with slightly less edge, same ABV just about though.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
BLLime6pack.png

drjeff

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little...

Nope, my guess is you probably just drank some of the water from that scout camp in your town that had the little ol' contaminated well problem last week ;)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Nope, my guess is you probably just drank some of the water from that scout camp in your town that had the little ol' contaminated well problem last week ;)

Crap, I forgot, I gotta change my location.... one of the reasons for my short disappearance...

drjeff

Crap, I forgot, I gotta change my location.... one of the reasons for my short disappearance...

Tell me it's not so, you left our wonderful, albeit quirky part of the world up in the corner of CT?? :(

drjeff

Put down a couple of these tonight

wildblue.jpg

Okay, before the anheiser busch bashing starts, this is actually a pretty darn good beer IMHO, especially if you like blueberries! Almost tastes like blueberry juice, and upon pouring into a glass, it looks like your pouring blueberry juice!

Plus with 8% ABV, the buzz factor starts a little earlier ;)

drjeff

I also sampled one of Dogfish Head's latest brewings, Palo Santo Marron, which is actually listed as a "Malt Beverage" on the label. With 12% ABV, this most definately isn't a light beer! Per the label, this brown ale is aged in 10,000 gallon wooden brewing vessel.

This brew poors very smooth with just a minimal head ontop of the deep carmel/chocolate color. There is definately an aroma that reminded me more of a wooden cask aged bourbon thanks to the wooden brewing vessel. Drinking wise, its starts off smooth and then the bitterness of the hops kicks in on the finish with somewhat of an earthy undertone too. Along the way, I definately noticed some nutty flavor too. All in all another fine product from Dogfish Head.

For me though since I typically enjoy the darker, "heavier" beers in colder weather, I think I'll put the other 3 down in the beer fridge for a couple of months and return to these around Halloween.

Dr Skimeister

I stumbled upon a new (to me) beer recently. Wailua Wheat, brewed by Kona Brewery of Hawaii is my latest favorite summer beer. Like so many other "summer" beers brewed with a touch of fruit flavoring, this is brewed with passion fruit. A very refreshing summer brew.

wailua-wheat-ale.jpg

Drinking Sam Adams summer right now..the local trendy bar has a blueberry wheat on tap I want to try..In my fridge are a few cans of BitBurger beer which is a skunky beer that I bought for Gaper Day at Blue mountain..I have to be really desperate to drink those..

I stumbled upon a new (to me) beer recently. Wailua Wheat, brewed by Kona Brewery of Hawaii is my latest favorite summer beer. Like so many other "summer" beers brewed with a touch of fruit flavoring, this is brewed with passion fruit. A very refreshing summer brew.

wailua-wheat-ale.jpg

Steezy,,,I think I had that two summers ago when I was in Waikiki..but it was after a bunch of Mai Tais and Kona weed so my memory is fuzzy

ctenidae

On the cheap beer front:

Trader Jose Mexican Dark- decent, drinkable beer. Def sessionable.
Trader Joe's Oktoberfest: Not so much.