• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Random Beers

Scruffy

I know this beer has been mentioned here before. Just adding to the love. Just enjoyed a couple of bottles of it. Good stuff.

beers-sculpin-can.png

Last edited:

drjeff

Had a Duclvay Brewing's out of Maryland, Sweet Baby Jesus Chocolate peanut butter Porter tonight! A beer I had heard plenty of GOOD things about! It lived up to its hype, especially if you like Reese's peanut butter cups!! Smooth chocolate and peanut butter flavor and the start and middle with a mild, bitter chocolate finish! So good that my wife "made" me order a 2nd bottle at the restaurant we were at! ;-) :beer:

drjeff

Yup, this doesn't suck! I'm lucky enough to have a local package store that gets Sip of Sunshine quite regularly, and having its owner as one of my neighbors helps ensure that there's usually a 4 pack waiting for me in the "special" section of their cooler where they keep the good stuff that isn't often for sale to the general public! :beer:

Attachments

• 1439334674849.jpg
    1439334674849.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 34

drjeff

Not quite as big and citrusy/hoppy goodness ladened as Sip of Sunshine, but Wormtown's Be Hoppy is a far above average New England IPA (And that says plenty these days!) :beer:

Attachments

• 1439342148318.jpg
    1439342148318.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 33

prsboogie

Not quite as big and citrusy/hoppy goodness ladened as Sip of Sunshine, but Wormtown's Be Hoppy is a far above average New England IPA (And that says plenty these days!) :beer:

Love that stuff, can't get my hands on cans though. Place near me has it on tap, will have to do for now.

prsboogie

Had a Sculpin Grapefruit, decent! I read many reviews saying it had a heavy juice flavor and I couldn't disagree more. Very subtle flavor, nothing like a Big Squeeze from Harpoon!

deadheadskier

Staff member
IMO the Stoneface IPA is the best IPA being produced in NH right now IF you enjoy it fresh. I live near and buy direct from the brewery. The one time I bought it elsewhere it was clearly old and all of the hop character had dropped right out of it. Tasted like a Long Trail Ale, which is an okay beer, just not a world class IPA like Stoneface is when fresh.

Agree completely on the Grapefruit Sculpin.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Stoneface's Moz DIPA is exceptional, but it also has longevity issues just like their standard IPA. Fresh, yeah it's a top tier DIPA. Maybe not Heady / Sunshine level, but damn good.

Prs (btw Paul Reid Smith??). Stoneface brewery is in an industrial park just off exit 3 on the Spaulding Turnpike in Newington. They don't date their beers unfortunately, so at the source is the only place I trust it to be fresh.

BenedictGomez

Dogfish Head is one of my favorite craft brewers, so on the way back from vacation I stopped at their brewpub in DE where everything's on tap and they experiment with some stuff.

Now DH is renowned for brewing some strange things and taking some risks, but they have this limited release now called Choc Lobster, which is a beer brewed with chocolate, basil, and......wait for it..... live lobsters.

I didn't like it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've heard of a couple of breweries using Lobsters up in Maine. Haven't tried them. Maybe it might work in a Gose style, but it doesn't sound to appealing to me.

ctenidae

Lobster beer doesn't sound good, even from DH.

In Montréal all week. New Unibroue Blonde de Chambly is very tasty. Sample pack from BDT (Brasserie du Temps, I think) that's decent, a little sweet and malty for my taste, but the witte was good.

prsboogie

Stoneface's Moz DIPA is exceptional, but it also has longevity issues just like their standard IPA. Fresh, yeah it's a top tier DIPA. Maybe not Heady / Sunshine level, but damn good.

Prs (btw Paul Reid Smith??). Stoneface brewery is in an industrial park just off exit 3 on the Spaulding Turnpike in Newington. They don't date their beers unfortunately, so at the source is the only place I trust it to be fresh.

Picked up a growler of Stoneface IPA today and one pint of the APA. VERY SOLID BREWS!!! Definitely worth the stop. Will be getting a case (or two) for the ride home!!