• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Random Beers

roark

smutty scotch is pretty good. Maybe you're just not a fan of the maltier ales.

McNeills Imperial IPA tonight,.... yum.

Greg

Staff member
smutty scotch is pretty good. Maybe you're just not a fan of the maltier ales.

I do like hoppier beers. The Sam Scotch has a distinct smoky flavor that I just can't be bothered with. Enjoying the Boston Ale much more...

Greg

Staff member
Try the Triple Bock. :razz:

I have. Don't really remember it though. I was in college when microbrews started to become the rage, and I tried many of them....

Paul

I have. Don't really remember it though. I was in college when microbrews started to become the rage, and I tried many of them....

Oh you can't forget this one. Its the one served in a snifter, pretty-much like drinking Port, or cough syrup. Same texture, at least.

Greg

Staff member
Oh you can't forget this one. Its the one served in a snifter, pretty-much like drinking Port, or cough syrup. Same texture, at least.

I remember it being strong and in a funky blue bottle, but that's about all I remember about it. Those days are a tad hazy... :lol:

Paul

I remember it being strong and in a funky blue bottle, but that's about all I remember about it. Those days are a tad hazy... :lol:

True dat!

Yeah, the bottle was pretty cool. I had a friend who we talked into chugging one of those. Hilarity ensued....:dunce:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
True dat!

Yeah, the bottle was pretty cool. I had a friend who we talked into chugging one of those. Hilarity ensued....:dunce:

Chugging Triple Bock? That's a bit of a sacrilege. I found Sam Scotch Ale to be one of my favorites. But as Roark pointed out, it is a malty brew and heavy. Last I looked actually, it was one of the highest rated SA beers on BA.

I tried the porter I made last night. Quite good, although mellow as far as porters go. Distinct chocolate and coffee flavors, very little hop... maybe could have used a bit more bite. We'll see how a tad more aging works out for it. I'm thinking a beer like porter I'm so used to have such complex flavor probably could have benefitted from a secondary fermentation before bottling.

ctenidae

I tried the porter I made last night. Quite good, although mellow as far as porters go. Distinct chocolate and coffee flavors, very little hop... maybe could have used a bit more bite. We'll see how a tad more aging works out for it. I'm thinking a beer like porter I'm so used to have such complex flavor probably could have benefitted from a secondary fermentation before bottling.

You could dry hop after racking, but for a porter, at least, you'll be running the risk of over-hopping pretty heavily. Of course, then you'd have something like a bitter, and there's nothing wrong with that, either.

I just realized that Modern Homebrew is only 2 T stops and 2 blocks from work. Huzzah!

Grassi21

Have you guys seen the Sam Adams Utopias? 25% ABV... They have a bottle of it on the counter of my local package store. Price tag, $160. :-o

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
You could dry hop after racking, but for a porter, at least, you'll be running the risk of over-hopping pretty heavily. Of course, then you'd have something like a bitter, and there's nothing wrong with that, either.

I just realized that Modern Homebrew is only 2 T stops and 2 blocks from work. Huzzah!

Yeah, I was thinking very small amount of dry hopping would have done the trick. I need to dedicate a notebook to this so I retain such knowledge rather than making it again the same exact way and then thinking the same exact thing the next time I drink it. Because that's something I'd probably do.

Grassi21

My friend that runs 2beerguys.com has Sam Utopia and allowed me a sip. Very nice tasting brew, tastes more like a scotch or bourbon than a beer.

When you buy a bottle there is a website and password in the hang tag. If you go to the Sam Adams site and enter the password they will send you a special glass for consuming Utopia free of charge. I think the glass makes up for the price. ;-)

ctenidae

Yeah, I was thinking very small amount of dry hopping would have done the trick. I need to dedicate a notebook to this so I retain such knowledge rather than making it again the same exact way and then thinking the same exact thing the next time I drink it. Because that's something I'd probably do.

I'd love to keep a notebook, tasting the beer at various stages, the wort, then at teh endof fermenting, then bottles every so often before they're ripe, to get a better idea of the flavor development.
I won't, but I should.

It also occured to me the other day that the back wall of my patio would make a pretty good place to grow hops.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Man, I can not even begin to imagine all the new beers I have had since this thread was last updated before today's bump. Stone's Arrogant Bastard last night which had an over powering alcoholic taste not to my liking (and I normally like strong beers). I can admit to not being man enough. S really enjoyed the Midas Touch from Dogfish Head. I thought it was okay, not into the fruity beers, but never had a fruity beer kicking it at +7% ABV :eek: Four pack for $12... the Midas Touch is certainly worthy of the price for the right person. Stone Pale Ale did not get much love from us. I know roark swears by the stuff but we have yet to find a Stone brew that is to our liking. Still working on it though!