• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Random Beers

ctenidae

Stopped by the Baltic Deli (a weekly stop, at least) in Andrews Square, Dorchester yesterday. They sell beer now, and it's all Polish, German, Ukranian, etc. THis is a very, very good thing, since I've never seen some of these beers anywhere else. Life is good.

I've tried two so far:

Obolon Beer's Krepkoe, from the Ukraine. Who knew they made beer in the Ukraine? Guess what- they don't. Not very well, anyway. It was beer, in that it was yellowish and carbonated, and had some hops in it. Very low quality, not very tasty. Worth a try, though, ust to have a Ukranian beer.

Neuzeller Klosterbrau's Golden Abbot, from Germany. The lable says "the taste of paradise". Not far wrong, there. Medium/light body, deep gold collor, low carbonation. Very malty, nice hoppy aftertaste. Good beer. Those German monks know what they're doing, I say.

As I have more, I'll post them. I got a Hevelius Kaper, which I know is good and got because I love it, and an Okocim Porter. The Okocim pilsner is quite good, so I wonder how they do with Porters.

NYDrew

I consider seeing the Otter Creek variety pack in Binghamton a random beer. Been stocking up on it cause I know such a great thing will have to come to an end sooner then I realize.

roark

marcski said:
I was out to dinner last night. The restaurant had Dogfish Head on tap. I've had it a few times before, but never ontap at a restaurant (as opposed to a bar). Tasty stuff. High alcohol content too!

The 90 minute? That's good stuff.

ctenidae

The Hevelius rocked, as I knew it would that's a session beer if ever there was one, except for the 8.7% ABV.

The Porter is actually Zywiecz, not Okocim, but that's going with ribs tonight.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
ctenidae said:
The Hevelius rocked, as I knew it would that's a session beer if ever there was one, except for the 8.7% ABV.

The Porter is actually Zywiecz, not Okocim, but that's going with ribs tonight.

Zywiecz is a good beer. Also, if they have it you may want to try EB, another good Polish beer.

ctenidae

EB is definitely a drinkable beer. In Poland, though, it's considered to be on par with Budweuser in the US. If only our mainstream beers were that good...

The Zywiecz Porter was quite tasty, though the ribs ran all over it, taste-wise. Not too malty, not too hoppy, not too carbonated. All good things. If you see it, it's worth picking up (even at $3 a bottle- 20 oz, though)

Re: Beer Advocate Festival- I always plan to go to them, then never do. One day, one day...

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
ctenidae said:
EB is definitely a drinkable beer. In Poland, though, it's considered to be on par with Budweuser in the US. If only our mainstream beers were that good...

The Zywiecz Porter was quite tasty, though the ribs ran all over it, taste-wise. Not too malty, not too hoppy, not too carbonated. All good things. If you see it, it's worth picking up (even at $3 a bottle- 20 oz, though)

Re: Beer Advocate Festival- I always plan to go to them, then never do. One day, one day...

Yeah, I prefer the Zywiecz myself, just throwing another good one out there.

BeanoNYC

I'm thinking about heading to a local specialty shop and picking up a growler or two of some good microbrew soon, any suggestions?

RISkier

It's so nice we can actually get good beer these days. Lots of imports and lots of high quality American craft beers. Life is good.

ctenidae

Caught the wife in a moment of charitable feelings the other day, and got her to let me spend $50 on 3 mix 12-packs (I didn't expect it to total that much, but I'll take what I can get...

So far, I've only dug into one from Boulder Brewing (Colorado's first microbrewery).
The results:

Never Summer Ale- really good winter ale. Nice weight, great color, strong malt and not too hoppy. Quite tasty, excellent winter beer.

Pass Time Pale Ale: thin, underhopped, a little too sweet for a pale ale. Not great.

Planet Porter: Good porter- nice roasted flavor, not too carbonated, deep, dark color. Good porter.

Sundance Amber: Thin, maybe a little too sweet. Not great, but not bad. A decent session beer, but nothing to write home about.

Overall Boulder Beer rating: So-so.

Further updates as events warrant (I can't remember what the other two packs are at the moment. Probably because of too much drinking of other bevereages)

SkiDog

Just brew your own.......not that hard..and if done correctly you WILL NOT FIND BETTER BEER........fresh..clean and oh sooo tasty...

M

thaller1

If you get up to the Acadia area of Maine, stop by Atlantic Brewing and try a Black and Blue..it's their Blueberry Ale and Porter ..mmmmmmmmmmmmm... and for those of you ho might think fruit beer sounds horrible..this one is not!

Atlantic's Scotish Ale is nice too..that will be out just in time for our camping vacation in September.

Additionally, Sunday River's brew "Black Bear Porter" is a gem.. it never disappoints me.

nelsapbm

Just tried a new one from a small craft brewer out of the StJ/Lyndonville industrial park called Hornpout. Pretty darn good.

roark

Highlight of the GABF a few weeks ago for me was the Ithica IPA. A big double IPA, all NY ingredients. IMHO perhaps the best example of the style I have ever tasted...

ctenidae

Cracked into another twelve pack- Ithaca Beer Co.
Apricot Wheat- surprisingly good for a fruit beer. Nice wheat base, not too fruity. Tasty beer when nice and cold. Not my favorite style, but pretty good.

Casca Zilla Red- nice red ale. It says it's highly hopped, but it really isn't. Sweet undertones, highly drinkable. Good session beer.

Nut Brown- nice.Very nice. roasty malt, nice medium body. Very drinkable. Good nutter, there. Nice beer for a short session, because after 5-6 it'll start to weigh on you.

Pale Ale- not a fantastic example of the style. Not quite hoppy enough, not quite malty enough. Maybe I'm prejudiced toward IPAs for my pale ale tastes, but Bass is, I think, a better representative of the style than Ithaca is.

Overall, very drinkable, good beers. Nothing over the top, nothing outstanding, but good, solid brews. I would imagine that, no matter which Ithaca beer you drink, if you know the styles, you'll know exactly what you're going to get.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
kegernator

If you guys are serious beer drinkers you need to have a kegernator in your place. My firend is a serious beer drinker and this thing is amazing. Luckily, I am not a serious beer drinker, if I was, I probably would not survive the month I will be staying here until my place is ready over in Waitsfield.

He gets it from the local brewery, you get the keg refridgerator for free with all the accessories and I think the keg holds 10 gal of beer. Tho I am not a big beer drinker, on a hot day, getting a frosty mug out of the freezer and pouring keg beer, it's pretty nice.

kegernator.jpg

Last edited: