• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Random Beers

ScottySkis

Ridiculous tap list at the Station Taproom on the 2nd floor of the base lodge at Mount Snow today!!!! Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout, Lawson's Double Dose, Lawson's Double Shot, 3 kinds of Hill Farmstead, a pumpkin sour from Hermit Thrush, Maine Beer Co Lunch, and 13 other quality beers!! I challenge any base area bar to beat that list!! Look up the full list on the taplister app, look for West Dover, CT - The Station Taproom!

So conditions were not fun today or good you ever write trip report .?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ridiculous tap list at the Station Taproom on the 2nd floor of the base lodge at Mount Snow today!!!! Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout, Lawson's Double Dose, Lawson's Double Shot, 3 kinds of Hill Farmstead, a pumpkin sour from Hermit Thrush, Maine Beer Co Lunch, and 13 other quality beers!! I challenge any base area bar to beat that list!! Look up the full list on the taplister app, look for West Dover, CT - The Station Taproom!

Impressive. Unlikely you'd see a list that good in Northern VT. Does Mountain Snow have someone driving up to pick up? To my knowledge neither Hill or Lawsons distributed in Southern Vermont.

ctenidae

Had a Maine Brewing Lunch last night. American Pale Ale, hoppy start, but really smooth mouthfeel, and clean finish. Really good.
Rogue Farms Mead this afternoon was thin, stronger musty flavor (common with meads) than I'd like.

drjeff

So I was on the fence about should I or shouldn't I make a run up to Monson, MA after work today until about 4PM when I saw that Treehouse was going to have King Julius available (the double IPA version of Julius)!

I rolled into the lot about 6PM and got one of the last parking spaces before they started parking people across the street in the overflow lot. The line was about 50 people out the door when I got into it. About 15 minutes later I was inside the brewery and 10 minutes later my VISA card was swiped and I was out the door with my full can allotment tonight of 6 Green, 6 Julius and 4 King Julius.

Got home, and had to show restraint for about an hour as my wife was interviewing prospective after school sitters for our kids, but finally got to open up my 1st King Julius!

It pours in typical cloudy Treehouse IPA fashion, but noticeably more orange in color than Julius or Green or Haze. The aroma is distinct citrus and mango. A nice velvety feel on the tongue with a great balance of strong mango, orange, pineapple flavors up front tapering to a moderately hoppy bitter finish. Everything about King J is bigger and more pronounced than Julius. It is delicious!

Literally within 5 minutes of posting a pic of my King Julius on a few Facebook beer pages, I had 5+ trade offers for some serious beers (Bourbon County Rare, Lawson's Double Sunshine, Russian River Pliny the Elder, Heady, Trillium, etc). Maybe if I had a dozen or so King J's i'd consider it, but with just 4 to start (3 left now), I'm not trading!!! :beer:

Attachments

• 1449203088321.jpg
    1449203088321.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 30

drjeff

Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout - gotta love this in any location, let alone a ski area base lodge bar!! Why I say that the Station Taproom at Mount Snow is one of the best ski area bars out there!

Attachments

• 1449343744434.jpg
    1449343744434.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 22

ScottySkis

Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout - gotta love this in any location, let alone a ski area base lodge bar!! Why I say that the Station Taproom at Mount Snow is one of the best ski area bars out there!

http://www.plattekill.com/images/stories/Jill-and-John-1116.jpg
http://www.plattekill.com/images/stories/Jill-and-John-1116.jpg

NEW! This winter, join the "PLATTY MUG CLUB"!

We're selling limited edition 2015-16 Collectible Plattekill Mugs AND we'll store them for you here all season long so they are ready when you arrive to pour your beer in all winter! They are yours to keep, so personalize them and make 'em yours! $25

drjeff

I don't know who is more the homer... Dr. Jeff or Scotty??

Since I just moved onto a Hill Farmstead Harlan, I'll gladly enjoy my "Homer" designation for the Station Taproom! ;)

Attachments

• 1449345460620.jpg
    1449345460620.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 40

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I like the Harlan. Very tasty. My local pub has a dedicated Hill Farmstead line.

I had one of these. Baxter Brewing Bootleg Fireworks 2nd Edition DIPA. Very tasty, hoppy yet well balanced.

23435797752_d951276b49.jpg

And now I am onto a Stone's new Enjoy By 12.25.15 in a 6 oz bottle.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Finally made it over to Tree House today.

They had Julius and "23" for sale - 8 can limit each.

Enjoying the Julius now. Very good brew, but I find a bit of "nail polish remover" taste in there. Kind of "chemically" taste. Not sure what specific hop or malt is producing that note, but I haven't experienced it prior. Can't say I'd rate it as highly as the Big Three from VT or even Be Hoppy for that matter. YMMV.

Even though it was can sales only today, the line was out to the Koi pond when I arrived at 1pm. It took a hair over 45 minutes to get through, which isn't something Im going to rush back for. Not terrible, but lots of great beer out there requiring less effort. They could employ a few more people and move things along faster, but apparently many folks don't mind the wait. Pretty much everyone I conversed with in line was a repeat customer. I wouldn't have minded the wait if I could have purchased a couple cases, but for 16 cans it was excessive for my liking. I think I'll wait until the hype calms down and availability increases before heading back.

Also of note was seeing the destruction from the tornados that hit a few years back. Way impressive display of nature's force.

Attachments

• 1449702537983.jpg
    1449702537983.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 1449702554518.jpg
    1449702554518.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 35

HD333

Finally made it over to Tree House today.

They had Julius and "23" for sale - 8 can limit each.

Enjoying the Julius now. Very good brew, but I find a bit of "nail polish remover" taste in there. Kind of "chemically" taste. Not sure what specific hop or malt is producing that note, but I haven't experienced it prior. Can't say I'd rate it as highly as the Big Three from VT or even Be Hoppy for that matter. YMMV.

Even though it was can sales only today, the line was out to the Koi pond when I arrived at 1pm. It took a hair over 45 minutes to get through, which isn't something Im going to rush back for. Not terrible, but lots of great beer out there requiring less effort. They could employ a few more people and move things along faster, but apparently many folks don't mind the wait. Pretty much everyone I conversed with in line was a repeat customer. I wouldn't have minded the wait if I could have purchased a couple cases, but for 16 cans it was excessive for my liking. I think I'll wait until the hype calms down and availability increases before heading back.

Also of note was seeing the destruction from the tornados that hit a few years back. Way impressive display of nature's force.

Give Julius a week. I find it a little green when it is super fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edd

Finally tried the Guinness Nitro IPA. Thumbs down. Needs more hops.

Tried Hardcore Chimera Imperial IPA. Thumbs up!

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1449757196.220218.jpg

drjeff

At the co-op tonight I saw a Ballast Point Habanero IPA - anyone ever tried it? Sounds seriously funky.

Yup.

I packs a surprising amount of heat, so if hot/"spicy" things aren't your preference, then its likely you won't like it. I've found that if you can mix BP's Habanero 50/50 with their Grapefruit Sculpin that the result is a really nice mix of tart and spicy!

The Habanero on it's own has me craving say some nacho chips and guacamole when I drink it! This id definitely one of those beers that you'll either like it, or hate it, it's got that distinct and different of a flavor profile! :beer:

wtcobb

I saw the Grapefruit Sculpin too - that one definitely intrigued me more. I like a bit of tartness with an IPA.

I wound up grabbing a pack of Foolproof Porter. Slightly chocolatey, medium-bodied porter. Not the best porter I've had, but definitely not bad either.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20151210_212319_658.jpg
    IMG_20151210_212319_658.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 44