• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Random Beers

roark

Grapefruit Sculpin is excellent. Have not had habenero. Loved the couple bottles of Trillium I picked up on my last visit.

Does Mass still have weird laws around Sundays? Flying in later in the day tomorrow and headed out to Newton/Weston... can't seem to find any stores that would still be open.

chuckstah

Grapefruit Sculpin is excellent. Have not had habenero. Loved the couple bottles of Trillium I picked up on my last visit.

Does Mass still have weird laws around Sundays? Flying in later in the day tomorrow and headed out to Newton/Weston... can't seem to find any stores that would still be open.

Ma stores can be open 10am to 11pm on Sundays, but not too many stores actually stay open that late.

prsboogie

Finally got my hands on some Worm town to take home. First time with Bottle Rocket, very good APA, love Be Hoppy!!

Attachments

• 1450048234153.jpg
    1450048234153.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 40

deadheadskier

Staff member
Had this before, but been awhile. Fairly easy to find in Northern VT. A very good IPA. Not world class, but solid. Worth picking up if you're up in the area and gathering some of the more famous beers up there.

Attachments

• 1450050581017.jpg
    1450050581017.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 38

Scruffy

images

Had a few of these on tap at the shusi place in K-ton this weekend, nice!

prsboogie

I went a couple weeks ago around 545 on a Wednesday and walked in and out. Pretty good time to go

prsboogie

I think Wednesday evening is the best day/time to go, everyone seems to go at opening rather than take a chance with getting there late

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've heard the same regarding Hill Farmstead.

I just wish if I'm going to truck all the way out there that I can buy at least a case. Wonder if they have any plans of upping capacity. Clearly the demand is much greater than what they produce. Same could be said for a lot of places obviously.

prsboogie

I don't know. They sell out every week and I don't know if they would want to change that. From the website it looks like they haven't been able to supply kegs to the bars like they did in the past, maybe that's where they increase?

drjeff

wow

wonder if it was like that all day. Do they let you get back in line if it is short?

The pictures I saw online from about 10:30 until about 2 had a line that was out the door and steadily between about 50 and 200 people long (at times it was all the way back to the Koi pond!!!) Crazy for a can Wednesday, especially one where the cans available were just their "regular" rotation (not saying that they're crappy beers by any means) Instead of one where there's a less often brewed option available!!

Treehouse just completely blew up this fall, and the hype and beer world buzz around it, and the overall increasing group of folks who will travel great lengths, and wait great amounts of time, to get great beer completely has them on their radar screens. And plenty of that beer will be consumed by those who make the trip to Monson, but now there's also a huge amount of it that is highly coveted in the beer trading world, and that's a huge factor in the big line situation that is now becoming more of the norm than the rarity. Good? Bad? Indifferent? who knows.... My hunch is that it will sometime next Spring or Summer get back to a bit more "normal" where sure they'll be lines, but there won't be a 45 minute line on a Wednesday at noon for 8 Green, 8 Lights on and 4 Alter Ego, like there was yetserday. Until then, especially if they're releasing a Curiosity Series something else, the big lines will be the norm.

And when the rumor of their usually made just around Christmas time Sap IPA (apparently an extra piney IPA - I haven't had the pleasure yet of having one) expect the Treehouse frenzy to hit a 10 again

deadheadskier

Staff member
That was my experience last Wednesday when arrived at 1PM. Line all the way back to the Koi pond for 16 beers. Not worth repeating no matter how good the beer. But, that's just me. To each their own.

prsboogie

That was my experience last Wednesday when arrived at 1PM. Line all the way back to the Koi pond for 16 beers. Not worth repeating no matter how good the beer. But, that's just me. To each their own.

A two hour wait for their beer is still better than me driving 10 hours R/T to no.vt. to get comparable brews

drjeff

A two hour wait for their beer is still better than me driving 10 hours R/T to no.vt. to get comparable brews

That's the part that I just can't fathom, when I see reports of people leaving NYC or even Philly at say 4 in the AM, hitting a Heady release somewhere in Northern VT, then onto Hill Farmstead, a few other stops for some Sip of Sunshine and Second Fiddle acquiring before running back down to Monson to stand in line at Treehouse and then back down to NYC or Philly all in 1 day, with lots of hours in the car, lots of cash spent, and an end of the day token "check out my haul" picture posted on various beer lovers social media pages!! I fully get the draw and appeal of a GREAT beer, but when it becomes such a focal point in ones life that they literally spend the majority of a day (or sometimes multiple days) trying to seek it out (and then often doing the same thing a week or two later!!) that I just can't get!!!

prsboogie

That's the part that I just can't fathom, when I see reports of people leaving NYC or even Philly at say 4 in the AM, hitting a Heady release somewhere in Northern VT, then onto Hill Farmstead, a few other stops for some Sip of Sunshine and Second Fiddle acquiring before running back down to Monson to stand in line at Treehouse and then back down to NYC or Philly all in 1 day, with lots of hours in the car, lots of cash spent, and an end of the day token "check out my haul" picture posted on various beer lovers social media pages!! I fully get the draw and appeal of a GREAT beer, but when it becomes such a focal point in ones life that they literally spend the majority of a day (or sometimes multiple days) trying to seek it out (and then often doing the same thing a week or two later!!) that I just can't get!!!
Agree 1000xs I live about an 1:15 from Monson, I have no problem with a quick rode trip for Treehouse, hit Wormtown on the way back if they have supply in the taproot then home! Maybe 3 hours in toll! I've even thought about running up to Stoneface when they release their double but that ride for me is brutal. Boston Metro traffic sucks. I drink what I buy, might friend some to a couple lucky guys I know but I would never wait just to trade off beer. Not worth it to me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member

Only time I've been to Hill, I waited in line next to a couple guys from Philly doing exactly this. They had left Philly at 4AM, got to Hill by 11, then were heading to Lost Nation, Lawsons and down to Tree House before returning home all in one day.

That's just crazy to me.

I travel for work and have all of New England as my territory. I only grabbed the various beers I do by scheduling a midday break to stop by a brewery. For example, last Wednesday I was calling on a customer in Southbridge and swung over to Tree House.

There's plenty of great local brews on the NH sea coast to not need to travel really at all and not get bored with what I can get. But.......if I'm in the neighborhood of something revered, I'll always make the effort to stop in.

wtcobb

I've driven out of my way to come home from down south to stop off in Montpelier for Hunger Mountain. But that's an all-in-one stop of whatever's available. Last time through I grabbed Lawson's and HF George, though.