• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Random Beers

Beetlenut

What's it name?? As the next time I'm over at my parents place (they've got a place in one of the townhouse communities off 108 about a mile South of URI) I may just have to stop in and stock up before I impose myself and my kids upon good 'ol Mom and Dad :)

Just a few more miles down 108 in Wakefield, just before the intersection of 108 and Main ST. Across the street from CVS. http://www.wakefieldliquors.com

Just tried some Smutty Nose IPA tonight. Not bad. Next up is some Stone IPA

drjeff

Don't shoot the messenger because I'm reviewing a new mass produced swill, but this thread has been inactive for just under 2 MONTHS :eek:

Here we go, AB/In Bevs's latest offering, Bud Lite Golden Wheat

Bud-Light-Golden-Wheat-6_pack.jpg

First off, we've got an unfiltered wheat beer here, complete with sediment at the bottom of the bottle and a reccomendation on the label that you slowly rotate the bottle a few times prior to opening to mix. It's brewed with corriander and citrus peel, and most definately is something quite different than the original Bud Lite and also Bud Lite Lime.

Color: A medium yellow/Golden yellow, noticeably darker in color than Bud Light, Bud Lite Lime, and even good 'ol Budweiser itself.

ABV = 4.1%

Aroma: My nose detects a slight sweet/citrus smell

taste: Quite a surprise I might add, especially for a 110 calorie per 12oz brew. This is unlike any other Bud Lite product. My taste buds almost immediately were thinking something quite close to a Sam Adams Summer brew in terms of the slight spice and citrusy(?sp) finish, the only difference being the citrus in this case is slightly orange compared to the lemon finish with Sam Adams Summer. The initial spice/citrus then leads to a mild hoppy finish.

While this new offering isn't as bold or strong as many of the Oktoberfest brews recently released and/or the forthcoming winter brews soon to hit the shelves, it's a step in the positive direction for the Bud Lite family IMHO and if this is a sign of things to come under InBevs ownership. this is a good thing!

roark

Fall is weird timing for a belgian wit - I suppose with Shock Top becoming omnipresent it's not surprising though.

, it's a step in the positive direction for the Bud Lite family IMHO and if this is a sign of things to come under InBevs ownership. this is a good thing!

No it's NOT a good thing. Because the more 'craft-like' brews the mega breweries produce the more shelf space they take up - leaving less available for true craft beers. This has been their operating method for the last decade +: to crowd the shelves with beers that look like craft brews to an uninformed consumer. The only difference now is less trying to disguise that they are produced by a mega brewery (used to be Killians, etc, now it's Bud American Ale, etc). The mega breweries have never driven innovation (except maybe on the technological side of brewing), just reacted to changes in consumer preferences by provided a watered down version of a micro style brew. If you want unique, different stuff - go to the source!

Seriously, I can't get anything more 'micro' than smuttynose at the local packy - which is a load of bs given how many other good (and better) breweries are within a couple hundred miles... I travel out of NH and pay higher prices (sales/sin tax) and redemption I'll never get back just to get some variety...:-x

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
This could be a positive thing for Micro Brews. If InBev believes they need "in house" microbrews to stay competitive, that is a good thing for the beer marketplace. It says that InBev feels threatened enough by the micro brew market that they need to be competitive in that market place. This also introduces more consumers to different beers and perhaps could lead to more informed consumers with better pallets fueling even more demand for microbrews. I wouldn't worry about the "crowding" of the shelves. I see more microbrews at gas stations and supermarkets than ever before, let alone beer shops that cater to the microbrew crowd.

roark

enjoying one of these tonight:
double-simcoe.jpg

pretty good DIPA, I like the single hop idea. Would be interesting to do a few IPAs this way...

HD333

Filled 6 growlers of Magic Hat Single Chair on Sat at the Brewery.

Hoping one will survive and make it's way to the pats tailgate on Sunday.

I am down to 3.

I am thinking of sneaking the wife (a wheat beer loving anti Bud Lite girl) some of the Bud Lite Wheat this weekend in a blind taste test to see what she says. Results to follow.

HD

ComeBackMudPuddles

had the pleasure of trying a bottle of "mort subite" the other day. it's a belgian beer with distinct sour cherry flavors. very interesting, sweet, yet refreshing.

mort subite is a lambic beer. wikipedia provides the following:

Lambic is a very distinctive type of beer brewed only in the Pajottenland region of Belgium (southwest of Brussels) and in Brussels itself at the Cantillon Brewery and museum .

Unlike conventional ales and lagers, which are fermented by carefully cultivated strains of brewer's yeasts, Lambic beer is instead produced by spontaneous fermentation: it is exposed to the wild yeasts and bacteria that are said to be native to the Senne valley, in which Brussels lies. It is this unusual process which gives the beer its distinctive flavour: dry, vinous, and cidery, with a slightly sour aftertaste.

450px-MortSubite.jpg

WWF-VT

Just bought a mix pack from Widmer Brothers from Portland, OR. Drop Top amber Ale, Widmer Hefeweizen and the Drifter pale ale. Drank one of the Drifters and was very tasty.

Tin

Don't shoot the messenger because I'm reviewing a new mass produced swill, but this thread has been inactive for just under 2 MONTHS :eek:

Here we go, AB/In Bevs's latest offering, Bud Lite Golden Wheat

Bud-Light-Golden-Wheat-6_pack.jpg

I manage a liqour store and we can't keep enough of this stuff cold.And now that the last of the Sam October is already gone, it is the big seller.

drjeff

I manage a liqour store and we can't keep enough of this stuff cold.And now that the last of the Sam October is already gone, it is the big seller.

My taste buds seriously thought that if they had just called in Bud Golden Wheat and left the light part out, they'd be OK too. Quite a different offering from AB/In Bev IMHO, and I'd bet that a lot of it that's flying off your shelves is not just folks buying their 1st 6 packs of it, but their 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.

Tin

Yea but I don't know if it is selling because people like it or already sick of the pumpkin and cider brews. They came out early (we had Shipyard Pumpkin and Harvest Moon in late August) this year so I think the whole fall beer thing is already over.

deadheadskier

Staff member
For the Beer aficianados, go to the Lord Hobbo opening in about two weeks in Cambridge, MA. It is in the old B side location. It will be the best beer bar in New England. Also will have KILLER food.

drjeff

For the Beer aficianados, go to the Lord Hobbo opening in about two weeks in Cambridge, MA. It is in the old B side location. It will be the best beer bar in New England. Also will have KILLER food.

Based on some of the stellar restaurant rec's I've gotten from DHS in the past, I will check that place out on my next Boston area trip! :beer:

wa-loaf

That's right around the corner from my office. Might have to do a lunch there ...

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's a really cool concept. The B side was a dump, albeit a very popular dump to libate at. The outside of the building remains a dump with no signage other than a decades old light up sign that says Food and Drink and is obscured by tree branches. Think speak easy. The inside however has been completely gutted and is amazing. The owner also owns the Dirty Truth out in Northhampton, also a great joint. Lord Hobo will have much better upscale pub food executed by the former chef of Teatro. He mentioned to me countless European beers they will have that I've never heard of, some of which on tap will be found at Lord Hobo and no where else in the country.

wa-loaf

It's a really cool concept. The B side was a dump, albeit a very popular dump to libate at. The outside of the building remains a dump with no signage other than a decades old light up sign that says Food and Drink and is obscured by tree branches. Think speak easy. The inside however has been completely gutted and is amazing. The owner also owns the Dirty Truth out in Northhampton, also a great joint. Lord Hobo will have much better upscale pub food executed by the former chef of Teatro. He mentioned to me countless European beers they will have that I've never heard of, some of which on tap will be found at Lord Hobo and no where else in the country.

What! No lawnmower beers?

DHS next time you are in the area we should see if we can get a few folks together and grab lunch there.