• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most Disliked Lifts

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Good ole' Summit Local at Mount Snow was really bad. Very slow, relaxing ride... until the chair stopped. It had a tendency to rollback a considerable distance, about 3-5 feet. Always terrified me.

Morse Mountain Doubles and Okemo Base Quads. Both lifts meant for beginners that others have to take to get to the rest of the mountain. Very slow, long lines, and s-l-o-w.

Stratton's Gondola. Old, tight, bad condition, bad design. Plastic benches don't work too well with ski pants. Also, you've got to be 5'8 to actually reach the darn benches anyway! They're way too high! The most people I've ridden with in one of those cabins is 8. If you moved, you got an eye poked out by a ski or pole tip. They claim each cabin fits 12 people, which I don't believe is physically possible, unless you're riding with rich, skinny, 90lbs models. Wait, that's Stratton's clientele, so now it makes sense. :stirpot:

drjeff

Always feel like I'm gonna slide right off
The deck on the grand summit

Just stand still! Trust me, if my, in full ski gear, close to 240lb frame on freshly waxed skis won't slide off the deck in everything from dry to snowy to wet conditions and well over 100 "rides" on it, then it won't happen!! :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Black Mountain NH summit double. The lift itself is fine. I just don't like the placement of it. If you want to ski anything skiers left off the summit, it's a pain in the ass to get back to the lift. It would be expensive to move it closer to the base of the Triple, but the situation could easily be rectified with a traverse trail near the bottom of Upper Jackson Standard. The problem is such a trail would cut across the lift path of the Platter Pull, which would be fine if it wasn't a beginner lift at the bottom of the mountain. At Sugarloaf you have to cut across the Bateau, but that's an upper mountain lift with mainly advanced riders using it. Black would ski a lot better if they put in the traverse trail I've suggested and move the platter pull to go up Lower Black Beauty and focus their learning terrain over on that side of the hill.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bump.

I remember in the mid 90's when mt. Ellen reconfigured their lifts so that you had to take 3 separate lifts to get to the top.....I'll never get that reasoning

Made sense on paper to ASC because they assumed that most folks would come over from Slidebrook Express. But completely stupid because it forced everyone to ski LP and ME died. And they got rid of their early and late season ski venue.

Win and company put it back in. So they took out GMX only to put it back in later! :lol: And they did it to do more early and late season skiing there and we know what happened to that plan. :roll:

North Ridge Express: loved and hated it. Loved it because it served up the heart of ME and good variety. Hated it because it (used to) break down A LOT and it looked pretty ghetto. Win and company gave it some much needed TLC.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not too many lifts bother me as the alternative would be a hike. Rode the Outpost at Pico last season. Love the trail pod but the lift was a little shaky.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Is that lift STILL running as it was? Holy shit! That thing was ghetto in 2000-2001! I recall it opening (finally) in 2007 after we got a whole bunch of snow...it was still ghetto but that side was so much fun. Put the Devil's Fiddle Quad there.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Is that lift STILL running as it was? Holy shit! That thing was ghetto in 2000-2001! I recall it opening (finally) in 2007 after we got a whole bunch of snow...it was still ghetto but that side was so much fun. Put the Devil's Fiddle Quad there.

IMO, take out the Outpost and realign the Golden Express Quad to the top of the Outpost instead of where it currently goes. That would create lift accessed true all ability skiing off one lift on the lower mountain. It would be worth it to sacrifice the top of Fools Gold, Prospector etc (which could still be accessed from the Upper Mountain), still have access to the Summit Quad and bring all of the Outpost area trails into regular use.

thetrailboss

Staff member
IMO, take out the Outpost and realign the Golden Express Quad to the top of the Outpost instead of where it currently goes. That would create lift accessed true all ability skiing off one lift on the lower mountain. It would be worth it to sacrifice the top of Fools Gold, Prospector etc (which could still be accessed from the Upper Mountain), still have access to the Summit Quad and bring all of the Outpost area trails into regular use.

Good call. The Golden Express is pushing 30 years old. Can you believe it?

Riverskier

Definitely the Rangely Double at Saddleback. It is a long, slow, and often cold ride and the lines can be brutal on a busy day. If/when that lift is replaced I will probably visit the mountain more often.

Honorable mention: The Tempest Quad at Sunday River. Another long, slow ride, and it seems to stop frequently. I would utilize the White Cap base area more often if it didn't involve having to use that lift.

emmaurice2

Top Flight quad at Butternut, I swear the lift towers are going to buckle. Lookout double at Stowe...be prepared to become very well acquainted with your fellow chair rider.

fr7475

Any "wind closed" lifts! wink, wink...I'm talking to you Sunday River.

C-Rex

I gotta say the gondola at Stratton, especially when it's packed. Nothing worse than trying to sit on that stupid little ledge.