• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

#1 Destination for 2006-07?

thetrailboss

Staff member
andyzee said:
Another trip out west, most likely Utah. On the east coast, I'd like to hit Burke and something in NH again.

Drop a line when you want to try Burke. :wink:

RISkier

We'll spend a week in Stowe and we'll most likely do another week somewhere--best guess would be Utah.

Geoff

ski_resort_observer said:
Boulder is a totally fun town, like Burlington on steriods. Eldora is an easy day trip from there.

I'm in Boulder once a month (twice this month). I lived in Burlington when I went to UVM. I think it's something of a stretch to compare Burlington to Boulder.

Compare/Contrast:
In Boulder, it doesn't go subzero for a couple of weeks every year in January. Most midwinter days, a fall jacket will do. When I lived in Burlington, I can remember a number of weeks where the high for the week was -2F.

You just can't compare the local ski areas. Bolton Valley vs Eldora? Stowe & MRG/Sugarbush vs the Front Range? Size. Terrain. Average snow quality. Availability of back country. Boulder wins.

Burlington sits on a fairly large lake. It's green all summer. Boulder turns brown in June from lack of rain and stays that way all summer.

Everybody in Boulder is from California. Everybody in Burlington is from New York. The only thing they have in common is the Birkenstocks with similar freakin' hippie density.

Pearl Street in Boulder is a fine example of how to do a pedestrian mecca. Church Street is pretty laughable.

Boulder is so much more affluent that the restaurant scene is really good. It's a great place to be on expense account.

Both places suffer from the blight of uncontrolled suburban sprawl. Because Boulder sits on prarie land with no trees, it's more jarring.

Boulder wins the microbrew contest about just about anyplace.

Geoff

The place I keep trying to hit is Mt Baldy, British Columbia in the southern part of the Okanagan near the US border. A 1400 vertical foot double chair and a 600 vert T-bar. They're closed on Tuesdays & Wednesdays. It's small but sees so little skier traffic that the skiing surface is typically fantastic. We're going to be in Vancover the 2nd weekend in January and they'll hopefully have enough snow by then.

We're also definitely going back to Monarch. Another dinky little ski area on the continental divide due south of Vail. 350" of snow. Nothing but fixed-grip lifts. Minimal skier traffic. Some very challenging quasi-backcountry that requires a 10 minute walk.

RISkier

maplevalleymaster said:
I am probably going to Park City and hit the three there and then go to Alta.

I'd say go to Alta (or one of the other Cottonwood Caynons areas) early in your trip. In Park City we liked The Canyons better than Deer Valley, didn't try PCMR. But Alta just spoiled us and we went back for a second day. It's hard to imagine how different the scenery and snow is, but it sure was when we were there. If we return to Utah this year we'll likely spend 2-3 days at Alta, and I'd really like to try Solitude and Snowbasin. Park City is a great resort city, but IMO the skiing, while good, is not the best that Utah has to offer.

NYDrew

Smuggs from 12/15/06-Closing. EVERYDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I estimate 123 days of skiing next year. 124 if it happens to be a leap year

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
RISkier said:
I'd say go to Alta (or one of the other Cottonwood Caynons areas) early in your trip. In Park City we liked The Canyons better than Deer Valley, didn't try PCMR. But Alta just spoiled us and we went back for a second day. It's hard to imagine how different the scenery and snow is, but it sure was when we were there. If we return to Utah this year we'll likely spend 2-3 days at Alta, and I'd really like to try Solitude and Snowbasin. Park City is a great resort city, but IMO the skiing, while good, is not the best that Utah has to offer.

For the 5 days I was there this season, Solitude got twice as much snow as Alta/Snowbird, as a result we spend 3 of 5 days at Slitude. Nice mountain.But I am sorry I didn't get to spend more than 1 day at each Alta and Snowbird.

awf170

Hmmm.... probably a trip to Seattle or maybe Banff again. Maybe a Chic Chocs trip during April vacation but thats a big maybe. It will depend on if we go up there this summer and get some info about the place. Also will depend on if I take an Avy 1 course.