• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

#1 Destination for 2006-07?

Greg

Staff member
I'm going to try to get in an extended stay at Sugarbush in Feb. or March... You?

Spent a very cold week in early March in the MRV. Also manage a few quick overnights up there. Did your plans materialize?

dmc

just went to JH... KH next year...

SkiDog

New England destination: Sugarbush

And MRV, Jay Peak, Magic, and the Loaf.

Big trip still in the works: Snowbird/Alta, Powder Mountain... Park City still in the back of our head.

Look me up when you come into town....i'll bring myself and some locals and we'll show you the "goods".

M

SkiDog

I'm in Boulder once a month (twice this month). I lived in Burlington when I went to UVM. I think it's something of a stretch to compare Burlington to Boulder.

Compare/Contrast:
In Boulder, it doesn't go subzero for a couple of weeks every year in January. Most midwinter days, a fall jacket will do. When I lived in Burlington, I can remember a number of weeks where the high for the week was -2F.

You just can't compare the local ski areas. Bolton Valley vs Eldora? Stowe & MRG/Sugarbush vs the Front Range? Size. Terrain. Average snow quality. Availability of back country. Boulder wins.

Burlington sits on a fairly large lake. It's green all summer. Boulder turns brown in June from lack of rain and stays that way all summer.

Everybody in Boulder is from California. Everybody in Burlington is from New York. The only thing they have in common is the Birkenstocks with similar freakin' hippie density.

Pearl Street in Boulder is a fine example of how to do a pedestrian mecca. Church Street is pretty laughable.

Boulder is so much more affluent that the restaurant scene is really good. It's a great place to be on expense account.

Both places suffer from the blight of uncontrolled suburban sprawl. Because Boulder sits on prarie land with no trees, it's more jarring.

Boulder wins the microbrew contest about just about anyplace.

I think the poster meant that the "vibe" was like Burlington on Steroids.....lots of "crunchies" there....a la burlington.

M

SkiDog

Its amazing how many people that posted to this thread are coming to Utah...i'd say its like 85%....crazy...guess I picked the right place to move.

Oh and Andy...even is Solitude did get more snow when you were out here....Snowbirds STILL open.. :D

M