• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

More pet peeves

Joshua B

Why is it that no ski areas find it important enough to list when racers will be overtaking their mountains? Couldn't this easily be reported on their trails/conditions page? Races are planned well ahead of time so there is no reason except that they know skiers will not want to drive all the way to a ski area overrun with racers when they could go to another area that doesn't have races or race practices scheduled that day. Yes I feel strongly about this.

Greg

Staff member
You answered your own question. From a marketing standpoint, what does a ski area stand to gain by posting when and where races will take place? The only thing it will do is cause folks like yourself to go somewhere else...

skijay

Most ski areas handle races nicely. Butternut has the races/ race training on the Main St trail where they fire up the Poma. You can still ride the trail as it is wide enough for the race and skiers.

skican

I skied Cannon last Thursday and they had women's races on Rocket and it was posted on the daily update. So...I knew ahead of time. I ended up getting 6 excellent blasts down it at the end of the day. Just an FYI.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
A lot of websites have an Events link... I usually check that first before we decide on anywhere. Granted, we ski locally (Sundown, Mohawk, Southington), but usually the info is on their website so we know which mountain to avoid.

A

ASC

Joshua B said:
Why is it that no ski areas find it important enough to list when racers will be overtaking their mountains? Couldn't this easily be reported on their trails/conditions page? Races are planned well ahead of time so there is no reason except that they know skiers will not want to drive all the way to a ski area overrun with racers when they could go to another area that doesn't have races or race practices scheduled that day. Yes I feel strongly about this.
Maybe you should call ahead and ask BEFORE you go. No surprise there, weeknights at urban ski areas have some sort of racing activity(training as well as comps) going on most every weeknight.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
maybe it's just cause i raced before, but i have never had a problem with races on weekends. races usually only take up on trail and racers generally ride less used lifts which can support 100-200 extra bodies. i guess the lodge situation can be touchy, but i only ever had a problem with lodge issues at bigger resorts which are awefully crowded to begin with. maybe it's just where i ski is why i haven't had issues?

i do think it would be appropriate for a ski report to indicate if a trail is going to be closed for racing in their ski report. or at least closed till 1 or 2 as races usually finish up long before the lifts stop turning. as previously mentioned, cannon usually notes this in their reporting. i dunno about other areas.

Greg

Staff member
Greg said:
You answered your own question. From a marketing standpoint, what does a ski area stand to gain by posting when and where races will take place? The only thing it will do is cause folks like yourself to go somewhere else...
Let me clarify. I also feel it's a terrible practice to note a run that has a race as "open" if it's not open to the general skier public. Is this what you experienced?

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Maybe you should just be happy that the Ski area even allowed you to be present at their mountain that day. After, all, YOU are the one impeding on THEIR ski area.

Oh, wait... ASC already posted here. :lol:

-T