• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Midweek Event?

jmn7w

Any thoughts on the potential impact of what looks to be a rain event on Wed (12/1)? Assuming I went up Thursday, would K-ton or SR be the better play and is there any chance of some cold air getting sucked in to this?

WinnChill

Hey jmn7w! Yeah, looks pretty rainy--and some strong southerly winds help funnel it in, which will keep those snow levels up pretty high for most of New England, especially SR who is closer to the strong onshore flow. However, this thing may move through a bit slower (an upper level blocking pattern setting up) and the colder air will arrive first for K--even if we could work in the back edge colder air while there's still some moisture around, they could pick up a decent tail-end burst. I wouldn't be surprised to see this thing slow up and last through Thursday, so K-ton would have a little more recovery/fixup time from the rain while SR would be in the slop a little longer. A lot to look at with this storm so I'll keep you posted as best as possible!

Cheers,
WC

Angus

Hi WinnChill, any ideas when we finally get into a more consistent winter pattern?

WinnChill

Hi WinnChill, any ideas when we finally get into a more consistent winter pattern?

After this midweek storm, we should settle into a more favorable, colder pattern into early December. We'll be watching some upper level blocking downstream (over Greenland) to help out in that regard.

bobbutts

It looks like there will likely be some strong winds with this event also, so keep an eye out for wind hold, esp on wed.

Glenn

Looking like it's going to be warm...that's a bummer. Hopefully, it'll cool off quickly and the resorts can fire up the snowmaking again.

WinnChill

Hey guys,

Yep, rain and strong winds Wed but we do cool off nicely after this storm. It looks much better for a good stretch of snowmaking and even some natural snow showers for northern VT/NH/ME resorts into the weekend.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
After I deposited the virgins, Ullr told me to put the snow tires on this weekend. He has planned a special "weather event" for all believers.

wishesdemotivationalposter.jpg

drjeff

I will choose to look at the mid week event this week from the glass is half full standpoint. The resorts that have recently made significant amounts of snow will have a chance to have their snowmaking reservoirs/ponds/rivers/streams/etd refilled a bit for another snowmaking asault later this week! :fangun: :snow:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I will choose to look at the mid week event this week from the glass is half full standpoint. The resorts that have recently made significant amounts of snow will have a chance to have their snowmaking reservoirs/ponds/rivers/streams/etd refilled a bit for another snowmaking asault later this week! :fangun: :snow:
You should pour your half full glass into a reservoir to help out.

:flame: :spin:

Glenn

BLAH! Friggin' "Flood Watch" for SoVT. 2-3" tomorrow. This isn't good. :-(

John W

So it's tuesday @ 1pm.. The rain looks like it is about to start here on 40th st and 5th ave in about 5 mins accord with the accu-weather salelite reading.... AS I zoom out is see nothing but green throughout the NE. Does not look like there is any weather anyplace that is not green. Is there any chance for ANY snow with this event? Even on the back end of this storm???

WinnChill

So it's tuesday @ 1pm.. The rain looks like it is about to start here on 40th st and 5th ave in about 5 mins accord with the accu-weather salelite reading.... AS I zoom out is see nothing but green throughout the NE. Does not look like there is any weather anyplace that is not green. Is there any chance for ANY snow with this event? Even on the back end of this storm???

Too far of an inland runner overpowering with rain and warm air ahead of it. I could see a burst of some backend snow Wed night for northern 'dacks, VT/NH...a few inches give or take? Hey, the good thing is, is that we're back to some cold air for base recovery/buildup rest of the week-weekend!

John W

Mr Chill, thanks for the heads up. My wishful thinking was for Rutland as I will be up there getting my first turns of the season in next weekend. Was hoping that we could get a major snow event a week or so before i get up there. Looks like if there is any it will be falling at the end of this storm on wet ground. Snow making afterwards but was hoping for some of the real stuff before we got up there. Looks like I might be SOL and have to settle for the where they can make snow on the mountain.

WinnChill

MR Chill, eh? Hmmm, kinda like that! :p

ANYways, well it shouldn't be too bad for you though John (the 4th-5th right?). The pattern is certainly more favorable for getting some natural stuff (watching middle part of next week closely). Albeit most of it may very well be upslope flow from the northwest, but K-ton can make out pretty good in that setup--over the course of a few days (or several) it can add up, even though it's better for Jay/Burke/Smuggs/Stowe. So with a little natural stuff as they go gangbusters on snowmaking, you should be in pretty good shape either way. I'll keep you posted as best as possible to help you make some good plans, cool?

:beer:

John W

Mr Chill might be the coolest name one here! Yes that would be great. We are actually headed up there on the 10th and 11th. So there is still hope as I saw something might be coming this way next week but that's far away. Either way your insite is helpful and appreciated...

WinnChill

Mr Chill might be the coolest name one here! Yes that would be great. We are actually headed up there on the 10th and 11th. So there is still hope as I saw something might be coming this way next week but that's far away. Either way your insite is helpful and appreciated...

No problem--my pleasure. By the way, I meant the 10th-11th too so next week's storm potential would be in your favor. Dang, I guess looking at so many charts and maps, I end up crosseyed looking at the calendar!

jmn7w

Thanks Mr. Chill for your insights. Gonna pass on Thursday in favor of a next Tuesday run for the volkl shop demo.

Cheers