• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekly Sundown Night Skiing Gathering?

Greg

Staff member
loafer89 said:
We just could not find a subdivision that had a house in the location and price range that we wanted, and this location is right on the Tolland/Coventry line 2 miles from I-84, and only 20 miles from work on a 65mph highway. At least it is on the route to Sugarloaf, and the loaf is now only 300 miles away.
Nice! And easy access to VT ski areas via 291/91. Conventry is in a pretty area of CT. New construction is interesting. Good luck!

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
So, guys - we need to pick a day for this. I don't have a preference, but I think the middle of the week may be best; just to break it up a bit - how are Wednesdays for everybody?

Only a bit over 4 months until CT night skiing resumes! :daffy:
At this point Wednesdays are as good as any other day for me.

loafer89

I have been doing some ski area distances from our new homesite on mapquest:

Ski Sundown: 41 miles
Wachusett: 67 miles
Berkshire East: 101 miles
Killington: 173 miles
Belleayre: 200 miles:-( I will miss the Catskills
Sugarbush: 224 miles
Sugarloaf: 319 miles

madskier6

bvibert said:
At this point Wednesdays are as good as any other day for me.

Wednesday's are good for me as well. I know I'm a late comer to this night skiing at Sundown proposal but I will definitely make it a couple of times a month if I can do it right after work.

What time are you thinking about gathering?

Grassi21

Wednesdays work for me too. I'm out of work by 5 or 5:30. I work in Norwalk so I can easily be there by 7. I can get a good warm up in before you guys start pushing me down that bump run. :wink:

bvibert

Staff member
It was much easier for me to get there a little later, like 7:30-8:00, last year. That way I could put my daughter to bed before I left. This year will probably be about the same, but I'll try to make it earlier sometimes if others will be there...

Greg

Staff member
I like to get there by 7 pm, but sometimes that's not in the cards either. I'm going to set the precedence this season though that Wednesdays (or whatever night we settle on) is the Sundown ski night and I'll try to get there before 7. I suggested earlier in this thread that we simply all agree to wait by the sundeck for a minute or two at the top of each hour. Some of us know each other already, and once we all meet it will be easy to hook up. The place is small enough so it's not easy to get separated from the group. Pat and I will likely be in the bumps if anyone is looking for us. ;)

loafer89

I am self employed, but I am usually done with work by 5pm at the latest and can probably be at Sundown by 6:00pm at the latest. The only caveat for me not being able to be with you guys in the early part of the season is that our new home is scheduled to be completed around 12/15, so I may be to buzy until early January for skiing at night.

I guess I will be keeping a pair of skis and boots at the office:daffy:

2knees

wednesdays sound fine to me. I'm more on the 7:00/7:30 end of it as i will probably go home from work before heading out. But like greg has said, the sundeck is an easy meeting spot for people who are getting there at different times. should be fun. hopefully i can make a bunch of these.

Greg

Staff member
2knees said:
should be fun. hopefully i can make a bunch of these.
Likewise. An thanks for this idea!

loafer89

Does this kind of planning apply to other ski areas in Connecticut? Will we be meeting at the steep and deep slopes of Woodbury next year?:lol: with it's self loading double chair.

I am game to revisit any ski area in the state except for Powder Ridge, last January was my third and FINAL visit, that place is ready to implode on itself.

Greg

Staff member
loafer89 said:
Does this kind of planning apply to other ski areas in Connecticut?
The only other CT area that I'd probably consider is Mohawk; although I enjoy Sundown much more, but I'm not opposed to Mohawk if a group wanted to meet there. It's probably even close enough to JimG. to attend... :)

Grassi21

I'm game for Mohawk as well. I did Mohawk twice early in the season and didn't ski anything off of the Arrow or Boulder lifts. I'm sure all of those trails are within my reach after the progress I made at the end of last season.

Greg

Staff member
Grassi21 said:
I'm sure all of those trails are within my reach after the progress I made at the end of last season.
If you can ski Gunbarrel at Sundown, you can easily ski anything at Mohawk...

Grassi21

Greg said:
If you can ski Gunbarrel at Sundown, you can easily ski anything at Mohawk...

That's what I was thinking. I would still like to explore that half of the mountain.

Between these Wed. gatherings and what I can do on the weekends, I may have to do an upward revision on my estimate for days skied.

Greg

Staff member
So it looks like the Sundown crew is now:

Greg
bvibert
ALLSKIING
2knees
loafer89
Grassi21
madskier6

Any other takers? All are welcome!

BeanoNYC

Greg said:

Greg
bvibert
ALLSKIING
2knees
loafer89
Grassi21
madskier6

A guest appearance here and there from me, hopefully. Work schedule permitting.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Greg said:

Greg
bvibert
ALLSKIING
2knees
loafer89
Grassi21
madskier6

Not sure how many I will make. The last ferry is at 9:00 so I would have to leave by 7:45... But I will get a few in.

Greg

Staff member
ALLSKIING said:
Not sure how many I will make. The last ferry is at 9:00 so I would have to leave by 7:45... But I will get a few in.
There may be a few instances where I head to the mountain right after work and get their before 6 pm so we'll be able to at least take a few runs.