• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekly Sundown Night Skiing Gathering?

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I just sold my house today and we are going into contract this week, so it's looking real good for lots of skiing at Sundown this winter. I am now up here at work in Bloomfield four days a week and commute home with the ferry until our house is finished in December.
Thats a hard commute!! Congrats on selling the house.

Grassi21

The best change will be that I finally live on the mainland for the first time in my life, and skiing will be so much easier to get to. Property taxes will be half of what I pay now and the new house will cost alot less than the one I just sold.

My father lives up here already, so I stay at his house until mine is completed and our closing date is not until November 15th, so we have time to finish our new home. I am just happy to finally leave Long Island, but not necessarily New York State.

Ahhh, it was a sad day when I exchanged my NY State driver's license in for a CT one. I have lived in CT for 5 years and will probably do so for another 15 - 20. But, I will always be a NYer.

2knees

just an fyi for anyone new to the area or those who are going to do this and dont know about it, i have a shortcut that will save time. (assuming you're coming from 84 west) Getting off 84 onto rt 4 at 6:00 or so is a nightmare on a weekday. there are like 5 lights and the highway essentially turns into a one lane road. If you take the rt 4 exit, turn right at the first light towards Uconn medical center. follow that a couple of miles past the hospital. You'll pass a mobil on your left and shortly after that turn left onto talcott notch. Follow this all the way to the end on rt 10. You avoid all the mess of farmington center and the merge of 2 lanes to 1. If you want you can also skip a chunk of 44 by turning left off of rt 10 at the first light you encounter. It's the fischer meadow rec area or something like that. I think the road is called Avon Old Farms Rd but dont hold me to that. follow that to rt 167 and turn right onto 167. It brings you out on rt 44 up near canton.

Greg

Staff member
I'll be a pass holder this season. I can't wait. We should be within the 2 1/2 month mark!

Greg

Staff member
Is this a new development, Greg, or have you been contemplating a Sundown pass for awhile?

Not really a new development. Let's just say I didn't actually *buy* it.

Greg

Staff member
Did they say when they will start seeding the bumps?

I haven't heard anything specific. I have to imagine they will only do it when they think they're sustainable. It all will depend on the weather. They didn't get going for the season last year until mid-February. I really hope they set them up early and they last this year, but again, it all depends on any thaw-freezes...

bvibert

Staff member
I haven't heard anything specific. I have to imagine they will only do it when they think they're sustainable. It all will depend on the weather. They didn't get going for the season last year until mid-February. I really hope they set them up early and they last this year, but again, it all depends on any thaw-freezes...

IIRC they had tried to set them up earlier, but had to mow them down and start over due to the weather...

Greg

Staff member
Okay. I guess it's safe to say that we're right at the two month mark! Woohoo!

Grassi21

Okay. I guess it's safe to say that we're right at the two month mark! Woohoo!

The new position I'm starting in November will give me the flexibility to set my schedule. I'm planning on getting in around 7:30ish on Wednesdays so I can be out by 3:30ish. I don't plan on missing many Wed. AZ gathering, even if its just me.

Greg

Staff member
And just in case you guys needed some pics to get pumped. Here ya go. Enjoy!

12/17/04 - Opening Day 2004-05
Dsc05514.jpg

12/17/04 - Nor'easter
Dsc05516.jpg

12/17/04 - The result of 60 straight hours of snowmaking
Dsc05526.jpg

1/23/05 - Gunbarrel:
Dsc05717.jpg

1/23/05 - View from Stinger:
Dsc05718.jpg

1/23/05 - Nice lines, skier's right on Stinger:
Dsc05720.jpg

1/23/05 - bvibert on Stinger (first day I met Brian):
Dsc05723.jpg

1/23/05 - Me on Canyon Run:
Dsc05726.jpg

12/3/05 - Opening Night 2005-06!
DSC06545.sized.jpg

12/3/05 - BeanoNYC's first Sundown visit
DSC06542.sized.jpg

Greg

Staff member
12/9/05 - Greg, Powder Day!
Dsc06571.jpg

12/9/05 - Brian, Powder Day!
bvibert.jpg

2/15/06 - 2knees, Day 2 on Noreaster Bumps
DSC06675.jpg

2/15/06 -Greg, Day 2 on Noreaster Bumps
DSC06685.jpg

2/15/06 - Pat rocking out
DSC06681.jpg

Greg

Staff member
2/15/06 - Greg on Nor'easter
DSC06688.jpg

2/15/06 - Pat on Nor'easter
DSC06684.jpg

2/24/06 - Sundown Night Skiing - Nor'easter bumps in their prime!
sundown_greg.jpg

20060224-7293.jpg

Indeed, folks! This little 625' vert hill delivers a ton of fun. Come join us!!!

:daffy: :spread: :snow: :beer:

loafer89

Indeed. I have had more fun on ocassion on a hill with less tall 1000' of vertical than on a much larger mountain. It's all about what is packed into the mountain that counts.

Grassi21

I would like see Stinger as it was on 1/23/05. Terrain parks are hot and I think Sundown does a great job satisfying this target audience. But that trail would we sweet sans terrain features.

cbcbd

Man, how did I miss this thread!
I'm thinking I might have to make the drive at least once during the week this upcoming season. Sundown has some good stuff that is still challenging for me, so it's all good.

bvibert

Staff member
Awesome pics Greg! Now I'm really stoked, those pics bring back some fond memories.

Greg

Staff member
I would like see Stinger as it was on 1/23/05. Terrain parks are hot and I think Sundown does a great job satisfying this target audience. But that trail would we sweet sans terrain features.
Stinger is arguably one of Sundown's best trails - decent pitch, and a few nice turns. It's not overly wide like Gunbarrel either. The issue is that Sundown just lacks terrain and has to put the park somewhere. However, my read of the Sundown Challenge is that they are planning to cut a new trail for the terrain park. That would be the best option. I was up there over the summer and didn't see any trail clearing so I doubt much will change this season. With that said, Stinger can still be fun even with the terrain park. On one powder day, I skied skier's left, right along the trees and found some sweet lines without getting in the way of anyone hitting the park elements:

DSC06578.jpg

Granted, that was early December there weren't many elements on the run that early in the season anyway.