• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekly Wachusett Night Skiing Gathering?

awf170

What about an AZ racing team at wachusett. Pretty much exactly like the Pats peak one except at Wawa. Depending on cost and a few other things I would most likely be in. Who would we have? Marc? Dozer? Zand? Sky?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Woot, I'm down for the weekly gathering night.

I'm not totally sold on the race team thing though. While it would be fun, I met Sky once up there one night on race night and the program is so fricken popular that you get very few runs a night and end up waiting around a lot.

That's not really for me.

As a matter of fact, if we do have a Wa wa night, we better move it to a night without school groups once those things start up. Hopefully there's at least one weekday night without school groups.

Sky can you check on that? I know they don't have school groups on Sunday nights, but I am almost always going up north on the weekends so I'm usually somewhere on the pike or 95 or 495 Sunday nights.

And Austin, yeah, I think that'd be pretty funny to skin up, we would get a lot of strange looks. One night last year in Jan, when we had spring conditions, I was hiking the moguls and just doing that got a lot of strange looks.

To answer you question about the moguls... Zand is right on. I've skied them a lot, and found them skiable/enjoyable twice out of the maybe 15 times I was there this year. Once was that night of spring corn in January, and the other was the evening after they were seeded, like Zand said.

This year was particularly rough for them, with all the freeze thaw cycles. They liked to seed them above freezing so when they set up, they'd turn to ice. And then they'd blow snow making whales on them. Genius.

I didn't go in to the park once last year, mostly because I was up there by myself the majority of the time. If I had people with me to laugh at me, I'd actually like to spend a little more time in the park. It is one of the things they apparently do half decent there (except for the dumb park pass BS).

Sky

Marc said:
Woot, I'm down for the weekly gathering night.

I'm not totally sold on the race team thing though. While it would be fun, I met Sky once up there one night on race night and the program is so fricken popular that you get very few runs a night and end up waiting around a lot.

As a matter of fact, if we do have a Wa wa night, we better move it to a night without school groups once those things start up.

And Austin, yeah, I think that'd be pretty funny to skin up, we would get a lot of strange looks.

I didn't go in to the park once last year, mostly because I was up there by myself the majority of the time. If I had people with me to laugh at me, I'd actually like to spend a little more time in the park. It is one of the things they apparently do half decent there (except for the dumb park pass BS).

School groups are up there every night I think. It seems to depend on a couple of circumstances..1) Teacher willingness to chaperone and 2) available nights (I "think" Wa sets a limit on the # of schools..but I could be wrong). Douglas "used" to be Sunday. The group leader was a firefighter and Wa Patroler. Sutton used to go straight from school mid-week. So finding a slow night could be a challenge.

Race nights...What would be cool about being in the league guys is 1) as Rivercoil stated elsewhere (and I've experienced myself) is that racing really makes you focus. You only get two runs on the course per night regardless (although I've heard rumors that you can take a run as #999 at the end of the night's racing if you want to get some practice in. Unconfirmed by me)). After the racing..the groups are done.gone and you can get some yo yo runs in. I liked eating after the race since I was warming up from the time I got there till the time the races started (around 6:15). It was good to get your runs in early before the course got too "rutted" up. By the time I was done eating, the video was up and you could watch your runs...plus Wa has raffles every race night in the restaurant. It's a pro/con thing as far as getting some runs in. It does get you to "commit" to a night however...and the racing and comradre (sp?) are a drug.

I asked Wa about the Skinning thing and have not heard back. I'll ask again when they get back to business. Much like the park users walkng back up to re-hit a certain feature...I doubt there's an issue here.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Jonni, there's an AZ race team that will probably form again this season, Monday nights at Pat's Peak. Sounds closer to you than Wa. Contact BobR for details.

Sky, I was going up to Wa 2-3 nights a week when the conditions were good so commitment wasn't a problem. Perhaps keeping my mind on the racing is a good way to keep distracted from the school crowds instead of being in line with them... Maybe it's not a bad idea after all.

Although I would be skiing after the race, not in the lodge. But that's me. Eating's for sucks. :dunce:

Sky

Marc said:
Although I would be skiing after the race, not in the lodge. But that's me. Eating's for sucks. :dunce:

HEH! Well, I'm a growing boy and need my nourishment. I have skied post race. I've even skied post apres ski event. Like I said, it's tough when the race is at dinner time. I don't want to eat pre-race, I'm busy taking some warm-up runs...and after standing in line at the top of the gates...my feet are frequently pretty cold...so, eating and warming up have quite an appeal. Chalk it up to getting old and lazy maybe? Still, at the end of the apre events...the school kids are gone and there's yo yo runs to be had.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Ah, well I had been in the habit of eating before I skied when I went up after work. Eat an early dinner around 5:00.

I could see myself going in after the race for a beer though. Warm up a bit after standing around all that time.

Sky

Marc said:
Ah, well I had been in the habit of eating before I skied when I went up after work. Eat an early dinner around 5:00.

I could see myself going in after the race for a beer though. Warm up a bit after standing around all that time.

re: eat before...Partly, I don't like to eat just before I race...but partly too, I leave right from work...all I have time for (that I "want" to eat) is fruit/granola bars (no McDonalds etc).

Beer and a warm-up after the race is cool.

awf170

Yeah, so what is going on with this. I say about 75% for me for a weekly gathering. I almost positive that I'm not going to race, though. AT boots+ powder skis+ freerides= not fun racing. Also, I hate to wait. If Marc or anyone else decides to get some touring skis then this percentage will go up...

loafer89

Wachusett only looks to be about 67 miles away from where I will be living, so I might want to give a night visit a chance during the upcoming season. I have skied there 3-4 times before, but I have not been back since 1992.

Sky

loafer89 said:
Wachusett only looks to be about 67 miles away from where I will be living, so I might want to give a night visit a chance during the upcoming season. I have skied there 3-4 times before, but I have not been back since 1992.

Let me know when you go so I can buy you a beer and take a few runs with you.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Let me know what night you plan to go to Wachusett. If it's Thursday it will be the night I am there with my school group. Other days will depend on my schedule when the ski season comes and my responsibilities at Pine Ridge. Wachusett is only about 20 minutes from my house.

Say "Hi" to Steve the bartender for me, he's my nephew.

loafer89

Sky521 said:
Let me know when you go so I can buy you a beer and take a few runs with you.

Thank you very kindly for the offer, I hope to be up there next season. It does not look far from Coventry, and mostly on interstate highways. My brother used to live in Harvard, so I skied there a few times before.

I guess with new HSQ lifts, it is more fun to ski than with the old summit triple chair.

Vortex

I would drop by at least onece. Alot of good contributors from Wa Wa. Like to meet a few. Only have hiked here. Keep the theme going. Actions......

roark

Bob R said:
I would drop by at least onece. Alot of good contributors from Wa Wa. Like to meet a few. Only have hiked here. Keep the theme going. Actions......

I'd stop by at least once as well, think it's a little bit under an hour drive.

Sky

Bob R said:
Actions......

I'm busy with the pool and the yard. As we get close to Labor Day, then Columbus Day (sales events @ Wa), then the membership packets arrive for the groups...THEN, then I'll get busy with the race-theme and the trip/event thing. Good to see we have interrest in at least a one-timer @ Wa for so many.

I'll be there whenever it is.