• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 1/27 - 1/28 Storm Discussion Thread

Joshua

this storm is a dud....all warnings north of the mass pike are cancelled, and this storm sucks

Greg

Staff member
Snow started at 9 PM and it's snowing very heavily now. We're quickly approaching an inch. We'll see what tomorrow brings...

O

oldhippie

fizzled out

So this whole snow storm thing really fizzled out. boston.com is saying we might get an inch today.. sigh.

R

RJ

Here in CT we received about 6 inches. I think everyone should fill their trunk with snow and bring it to their favorite ski area.

skijay

I have 5 inches of snow on the ground here in north central CT. Snow tires work well as the HOV lane to Hartford was packed snow.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
We didn't get nearly as much as we were expecting here, but it was enough to give us a 2 hour delay for school, which was later changed to a cancellation when it started to snow again. We picked up more than an inch in an hour this morning. It's still snowing to beat the band.

I live on a big hill and there are cars stuck on it. A couple minutes ago a car slid into the cement wall that is in front of my house, fortunately, no one got hurt. I think it's going to be a "fun" day here.

S

smallberries

And the ski area that's big winner for snowfall is....YAWGOO VALLEY!

Greg

Staff member
We ended up with about 9 inches, I guess. That's an estimate (I didn't measure). I'm guessing Butternut, Catamount, and some of the Catskill resorts did well out of this one.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
It's still snowing here, there is about 9" on the ground right now and it is coming down full force. The local school, which had a 2 hour delay and decided to keep it that way, is now dismissing the students because the snow seems to be getting more intense.

Some one said that Yawgoo was the big winner here, but I think Pine Ridge, Ski Ward and Wachusett are also going to be big winners!

Pine Ridge really needed it too as I have heard that there is a problem with the snow making system there.

J

jlangdale

Snow up here pretty good finally. Not expecting a ton of snow, but we'll take what we can get!

skijay

There was 4 more inches when I came home. The total is now 9 inches.

snowsprite

Ski sundown was pretty good last night, especially after they groomed the blacks. They were getting pretty skiied off and icy but it was great after that. They got about 6 inches of snow I believe. Too bad I could not have donated some of ours, we got about 12. Useless here in Fairfield county!

Amazing how "tropical" it felt skiing in 18-25 degree weather considering the -30s w/windchill I've been experiencing lately!
Sprite