• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Grubs

2knees

anyone had any experience in getting rid of these? my lawn is getting trashed by whatever animal it is that digs them up. any advice is greatly appreciated.

Greg

Staff member
If you're not opposed to polluting your lawn, try GrubEx. The surface damage is likely a result of skunks. Have you seen/smelt them? Any more that six grubs per one square foot of turf requires some action. Get rid of them if you can. A friend of mine lost large swaths of grass due to grubs. Good luck.

ctenidae

Is the animal going in from above ground or going in mole-style? Getting rid of moles can be fun (requires the liberal use of chewing gum and bottle rockets).

I think you have 3 choices: Spray somethign that kills the grubs, Spray something that kils the grub-eaters, or get more grub eaters to eat all the grubs. Then they'll go to your neighbor's yard.

Vortex

I'm listening also. I put down grub kill. I had a roll out lawn brought in 3 years ago and the grubs ate it.. Started out with seed again 2 years ago, its alive in most areas..

hammer

Due to poor soil conditions on my property, I've had a lawn service for several years...one year they removed the grub treatment from the "standard" service and I lost a lot of grass in the fall. Since then I make sure I get the grub treatment. I'm not sure what they do, but I think it's comparable to GrubEx.

It was pretty bad...I saw bunches of the beetles coming out of the ground and the crows and other animals were having a field day. In addition, we kept digging them up everywhere...gross. :-x

2knees

thanks, i'm gonna try the grubex. i put something down last year, forget what, but it didnt work for crap.

Greg

Staff member
2knees said:
thanks, i'm gonna try the grubex. i put something down last year, forget what, but it didnt work for crap.
Pay attention to the directions. The timing is critical. You have to put it down when they're actively feeding. August is best.

jack97

We have always used grubex. IIRC, you have to appy some water on it via a sprinkler to let it soak in. So far no problems with the lawn or skunks digging them out (I know for sure, we have skunks near our area).

2knees

Greg said:
Pay attention to the directions. The timing is critical. You have to put it down when they're actively feeding. August is best.

i pulled up Scotts website and they recommend late spring to mid summer so i think i should be ok. We are going up to boston on saturday so the kids wont be around to be exposed to it. Even though it says its fine once you water it down, i dont like to mess around with any of that stuff.

And i always read the directions.

lol yeah right.

2knees

Bob R said:
I never heard of people going to Boston to get away from the Grubs. Hey we need the tourism.:flag:

:) they drove us right out the door.

actually i wish i was staying at home with the grubs. high school graduation party is our reason for the road trip. whooopeeeee

wintersyndrome

GRUBS...dont ever give them any money, beer, free lift tickets, a place to crash, food whatever...when they're out "grubbin" and they pass you in the street kick 'em in the tookus, tell 'em to cut they're hair and get a job

Vortex

I stay out of Bost every weekend. I'm there enough m-f. DSO is at hampton beach 1 hour North of Bost on Sat night if an escape plan is needed.

ChileMass

Whatever brand you use, make sure it has the chemical MERIT in it. That's the best grub-killer out there. IIRC, Bayer has the exclusive rights, so buy Bayer products (no, I'm not getting paid to say this).

I used to lose huge sections of lawn every year by being cheap and trying to half-ass the grub killer. For several years I have applied it and no more grubs anywhere. I do recommend putting it down somewhat heavier (+25%) than the directions say, though. And Greg is correct - August is the time to apply it......

Sky

There is also a "long-term" solution...it involves a fungus that kills the grubs and is less "chemically nasty" if you are concerned about that.

I will wake up in the middle of the night sceaming the answer...but I can't think of the name of that stuff right now.

I'm sure if you "ask jeeves"...one of the answers will be...MILKY SPORE! That's IT!! *I think* It takes a while, so it's not going to save you this year unfortunately. I think it needs to be applied in the fall so the spore can eventually grow...or something like that.

Grubs, Moles Skunks.....more reasons to LOVE Ski Season!!

ALLSKIING

Staff member
ChileMass said:
Whatever brand you use, make sure it has the chemical MERIT in it. That's the best grub-killer out there. IIRC, Bayer has the exclusive rights, so buy Bayer products (no, I'm not getting paid to say this).

I used to lose huge sections of lawn every year by being cheap and trying to half-ass the grub killer. For several years I have applied it and no more grubs anywhere. I do recommend putting it down somewhat heavier (+25%) than the directions say, though. And Greg is correct - August is the time to apply it......
Chile I love ya man but easy on the Merit. This stuff is real strong....infact you can't even buy it on Long Island due to it being found in the drinking water. After it started showing up all over the place they decided to ban it. Its real bad for the planet.

ChileMass

ALLSKIING said:
Chile I love ya man but easy on the Merit. This stuff is real strong....infact you can't even buy it on Long Island due to it being found in the drinking water. After it started showing up all over the place they decided to ban it. Its real bad for the planet.

Wow - I hadn't heard that. Good to know. I like a green lawn, but I also try to use as few chemicals as possible. The problem is, when I used other brands that didn't include Merit, I still had grubs and that was bad. There have to be other workable alternatives, I'm sure......