• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whos fault?

snafu

And thanks for all the insults..really shows the mentality of some people.. Quite a few here see a grey area or just dont get it at all!! My point for starting the thread..
If you dont like the message you shoot the messenger..right?
Wow hopefully some of you wake up and realize that going fast or being in a line or whatever the excuse de jour might be, does not make it right!

Glad you took it upon yourself to teach us of the lowly Ignorant Generation or whatever you call it. I genuflect toward your priceless teachings and only hope my ignorance will one day be cured by enlightened beings such as yourself.

GTFO

polariso

Glad you took it upon yourself to teach us of the lowly Ignorant Generation or whatever you call it. I genuflect toward your priceless teachings and only hope my ignorance will one day be cured by enlightened beings such as yourself.

GTFO
Merry Christmas

snafu

Merry Christmas

Better watch out how you deal with the "Ignorant Generation", they will be the ones changing your bedpan and wiping the drool off your chin before you know it. And they will be so grateful to the generation before them who were the most spoiled and had everything -until they squandered it all and piled the debt onto future generations. So be VERY careful on how you deal with them.

Now back to your regularly scheduled trolling...lol...sorry just thinking on how differently this thread would be if we were in the same room together...

mondeo

And thanks for all the insults..really shows the mentality of some people.. Quite a few here see a grey area or just dont get it at all!! My point for starting the thread..
If you dont like the message you shoot the messenger..right?
Wow hopefully some of you wake up and realize that going fast or being in a line or whatever the excuse de jour might be, does not make it right!
I fully invite you to dress up in a deer costume and wander around the woods during hunting season. I assure you the hunter that shoots you will be found to be at fault.

mondeo

GTFO
Also, I'm not a spelling and grammar Nazi, but if you're going to insult people's intelligence you better know the difference between who's (note the apostrophe) and whose. I mean, that's just trolling 101.

mondeo

Now a more realistic analogy would be overtaking someone going 85 while you are going 120. The guy pulling out does have some personal responsibility to look before pulling out, but if there's an accident and you came up behind him, the law is going to be against you.
Point being missed. Both are at fault, but the guy going 120 will bear the lion's share of it. It does not absolve the guy pulling out in front of faster traffic of any responsibility. The actual laws may vary depending on state, but here's a summary:

http://www.1personalinjurylawyers.com/injury_center/partial-fault.html

SIKSKIER

I am the overtaking skier 99% of the time but

The car analagy is total crap and does not compare at all.Roads have lanes and before one pulls into that lane you must look in your rear view mirror to see if there is oncoming traffic and yield to it.We don't have lanes to stay in on snow and certainly don't wear rear view mirrors to check for overtaking skiers.Do I ski in a consistant line,yes.Do beginers toatally stay in there line,no.It's not hard to see who you need to avoid and take appropriate action before.The only time an overtaking skier is not totally responsible is when a skier enters a trail without looking uphill and having enough time to react.Really is comman sense.

bvibert

Staff member
Polariso, you certainly aren't making many friends here with your posting style. Also, I deleted your political post earlier in this thread, and you've already been warned at least once to knock off the personal attacks. Please try a little harder to follow the forum rules.

Thanks

2knees

just because his name has been brought up in a long time.

beswift?

darent

But there's only one trail. I'm just travelling slowly downhill on the trail, mostly across the hill. The code doesn't distringuish between between what I was doing every morning and a beginner skier crossing a race course that isn't fenced off or someone going completely out of control plowing into the back of someone travelling a moderate pace. That's the problem with trying to apply it rigidly. In the video, the snowboarder absolutely should have avoided the collision. But that doesn't mean that with proper information and awareness, the skier couldn't have avoided a dangerous situation.

seems like common sense that the skier would have stayed where he was after getting clipped the first time, not turning back toward trouble, a lot to be said for anticipation

mondeo

The car analagy is total crap and does not compare at all.Roads have lanes and before one pulls into that lane you must look in your rear view mirror to see if there is oncoming traffic and yield to it.We don't have lanes to stay in on snow and certainly don't wear rear view mirrors to check for overtaking skiers.Do I ski in a consistant line,yes.Do beginers toatally stay in there line,no.It's not hard to see who you need to avoid and take appropriate action before.The only time an overtaking skier is not totally responsible is when a skier enters a trail without looking uphill and having enough time to react.Really is comman sense.
I'm not saying people have to stay in a lane; it's not that direct of an analogy. The point is that everyone has responsibility for safety, not just the uphill skier. If you put yourself in a dangerous situation, you're saying there's nothing you could have done to avoid whatever ends up happening to you? You chose to put yourself in that situation, live with the consequences.

Forget the damn video. It was hand picked by a troll to show a situation where a single party clearly had the majority of the blame. Reality is a lot of situations aren't clear cut. The responsibility of the uphill skiers is to yield to downhill skiers. The responsibility of someone not moving is to yield to uphill skiers, and to not stop in a position that obstructs the trail. You people think these are strong definitions? Define yield, obstruct, starting downhill, etc. How far away counts as yielding? Skiing bumps, I stay far enough away from people so that if that at the point where it would be too late to change my line, it doesn't matter if they start moving because I'll be past them before they're actually in my line. Might only be a few feet (and it varies based on conditions, run difficulty, control level approaching them, etc.,) but there isn't a chance in hell I'll hit them.

Who's to blame in this situation?: two skiers skiing about 15 feet apart on medium pitch bumps. Dead even, both position and speed. Bumps end, both people turn to stop. Turn into each other and collide. Skinny guy bends the other's pole.

Obviously The Code has all the answers.

mondeo

seems like common sense that the skier would have stayed where he was after getting clipped the first time, not turning back toward trouble, a lot to be said for anticipation
Beginner skier, probably panicked. Not going to blame him for that, just putting himself into a dangerous situation. Which he may not have realized was dangerous, so maybe no blame to him.