• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whos fault?

dmc

Do you just stop at a stop sign without looking before you start? It's called common sense.

Of course I do. please don't patronize me.

if I blow through a stop sign and get hit by an on coming car - whos fault is it?

dmc

You know, I just looked up "Pot Stirer". It said, "see DMC"! :wink:

Iwhatever.

The codensucks. It contradicts itself. And people that don't understand thenphysics of speed hide behind it

Kerovick

If thats the case.... And work with me here...

Why does the code also state a skier needs to look uphill before starting out?

To avoid getting hit by the snow sport enthusiast that is already in motion.

The stop sign analogyis a good fit here actually:
Q: If you blow through a stop sign and get creamed who's fault is it
A: Yours! cause you didn't look for the other cars before starting out. Those are the rules of the road.

If you not in motion down(or even across) the hill then your the car at the stop sign. It's your responsibiliy to make sure it is safe to proceed.

Of course if you wished to nitpick, you could (and probally will) say that once you are in motion that the up hill skier needs to avoid you.

Which is true but common sense would dictate that you'd attempt to avoid a collision by
A)allowing yourself enough room
b) get up to speed
c)wait for them to pass and become the uphill skier

The car analogy still works. Your a car traveling in the fast lane (uphill skier) and another car is stopped at a stop sign attempting to turn onto the 2 lane high way your traveling on.

Their options are:
a)leaving theirselves enough room, turn into the slow lane (aka the one ypu aren't in)
b) gun it and get up to speed before you get there
c)wait till you go by and then pull out to any lane you want to.

:)

dmc

The stop sign analogyis a good fit here actually:
Q: If you blow through a stop sign and get creamed who's fault is it
A: Yours! cause you didn't look for the other cars before starting out. Those are the rules of the road.

Agreed...
You just proved my point that the "code" is subjective and not as black and white as some make it out to be...

The guy at the stop sign(downhill skier) should stop and look before entering traffic. Because the guy flying by(Uphill skier) could smash into you.

gmcunni

Agreed...
You just proved my point that the "code" is subjective and not as black and white as some make it out to be...

The guy at the stop sign(downhill skier) should stop and look before entering traffic. Because the guy flying by(Uphill skier) could smash into you.

not that i really care but doesn't "the code" say that?

National Ski Patrol Responsibility Code

• Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
  • People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
  • You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
    [*]Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.
  • Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
  • Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
  • Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.

Kerovick

Agreed...

Exactly, that's what the code says to do :)

mondeo

The car analogy still works. Your a car traveling in the fast lane (uphill skier) and another car is stopped at a stop sign attempting to turn onto the 2 lane high way your traveling on.
Why are you in the fast lane? Ignoring keep right except to pass laws?
not that i really care but doesn't "the code" say that?
Yeah, but A. a lot of people are ignoring that part and the one that says you shouldn't block the trail; B. at some point the line blurs between someone yielding to the moving skier and the uphill skier yielding to the downhill skier.

Back to the car analogy: say you have someone waiting at a stop sign, another person approaching. The approaching car is going 60 in a 50, the car at the stop sign will be travelling 40, and take 15 seconds to get there. If the person at the stop sign assumes the approaching car is also going 40, they can pull out when the other car is 450 at least feet away and not slow them down. In reality, after about 8 seconds, if there is no change in the faster car's speed, there's a collision. The faster car had time to adjust, but the slow car didn't yield right of way. They're both at fault.

caddis

......:-o I hated these types of problems in school. I think polariso's argument made more sense to me.