• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whos fault?

〽❄❅

"Snowboard Ski collision
"This happened at an education camp for snowboard instructors.The 2nd hit by the skier was intentionally. Stupid skiers.
"by rira66 | 3 years ago | 26,395 views"

My initial impression was of seeing a boarder came out of his 360 sliding downhill then under control set his edge propelling into her.
Prior to that the boarder looks like way off line running gates.
I also don't think shes as close to the gates as that five and dime dollar store video camera makes it look.

I'm inclined to think rira66's take on English say's it all.

...serenity now, serenity now ...seriously restraining myself not to say what i think of that production company duo!

BBMF

gmcunni; guess the rider ignored the SLOW sign[/QUOTE said:
Your video? F'n one plankers.....j/k
But really on a open trail like that, uncrowded and no real warning. A simple "on your right" as they close in would likely avoid such accidents. That and slowing the f#ck down if you can't figure out what those downhill are doing

gmcunni

Your video? F'n one plankers.....j/k
But really on a open trail like that, uncrowded and no real warning. A simple "on your right" as they close in would likely avoid such accidents. That and slowing the f#ck down if you can't figure out what those downhill are doing

no, not mine. story that was posted with it was the rider was doing 60 MPH and "slowed" to 45 before taking out the skier (according to the gps the rider was carrying)

thetrailboss

Staff member
The rider looks like he was hurt or took a hit to the head. I'm surprised that folks didn't lose their temper.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

MadMadWorld

There was some seriously awesome skiing going on in that video. I desperately wanted the skier with the pack and no hat to get hit. But the dude tucking on a beginner trail is a nice consolation prize. It was the snowboarders fault but I completely understand why he did it.

skiNEwhere

This is a tough one

Per skiers code, it's completely red coat's fault. In reality I think it's 50/50. I think most skiers who've been around long enough have had this happen. You're trying to pass someone slower who's in front of you, and then they make a completely random and hard turn, forcing you to turn even harder or else hit them as a result.

thetrailboss

Staff member
This is a tough one

Per skiers code, it's completely red coat's fault. In reality I think it's 50/50. I think most skiers who've been around long enough have had this happen. You're trying to pass someone slower who's in front of you, and then they make a completely random and hard turn, forcing you to turn even harder or else hit them as a result.

It happens a lot to me.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Jully

I think there are very similar situations where the fault question is not clear, but in this one I think red coat is completely at fault. He just didn't appear to be looking to the right as he passed the other skier who was skiing rather normally. Red coat had a significant amount of room on his left to move and avoid the downhill skier

dlague

I think there are very similar situations where the fault question is not clear, but in this one I think red coat is completely at fault. He just didn't appear to be looking to the right as he passed the other skier who was skiing rather normally. Red coat had a significant amount of room on his left to move and avoid the downhill skier

That is hard! You are skiing along watching someone following a path then all of a sudden they veer to right or the left in this case to the left and the reaction time may not be enough, I think the one that veered tried to slow down bat leaned back rather than braking hard. The red coat looks like he could have slammed the brakes on and avoided it. However while in motion it probably happened fast.

I had a collision where a kid seemingly was skiing toward the lift and then skied up a trail right in front of me - he was small enough where I was able to pick him up while we crashed. I also have a few near misses this past season that could have went terribly wrong.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
This is a tough one

I agree that this is a tough one. A similar situation I caught on my Gopro this past January. Skip to 1:15 and you see that I'm about to turn left when this kid starts to cut across my path. I'm moving at Tuna Speed 1 so in a split second I had to decide whether to cut back to the right on just stop. I can't think that fast so I slammed on the brakes - Which I suppose is what skier in red should have done - still it's a tough call.

Btw: wide angle makes it look like I have a lot of room but I just barely stopped in time.

dlague

I agree that this is a tough one. A similar situation I caught on my Gopro this past January. Skip to 1:15 and you see that I'm about to turn left when this kid starts to cut across my path. I'm moving at Tuna Speed 1 so in a split second I had to decide whether to cut back to the right on just stop. I can't think that fast so I slammed on the brakes - Which I suppose is what skier in red should have done - still it's a tough call.

Btw: wide angle makes it look like I have a lot of room but I just barely stopped in time.

Hope you gave the kid the evil eye look!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
This is a tough one

Looks like very edgable conditions. Slower skier ran Red Coat to the side of the trail but gave room to pass. If you have enough momentum to slide 50 feet down the trail after hitting someone then you're going too fast.

Slow skier is an idiot. Needed to look uphill. I still put more blame on Red Coat though.