• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whos fault?

drjeff

The boarder is overtaking the skier (or atleast attempting to), and thus based on the skier/rider responsibility code, the over taking person has the responsibility to avoid the downhill person. Boarder to blame

powpig2002

no way. that skier was turning and taking up way too much of the slope. when i'm scooting on a board, skiis, bike or car, anyone going faster is an idiot. anyone slower ia a moron

vonski

Boarder looks like he was up hill. So, I go with boarder, but had either one hit the brakes after the first initial almost collision the whole thing would have been avoided looks like to me.

puckoach

no way. that skier was turning and taking up way too much of the slope. when i'm scooting on a board, skiis, bike or car, anyone going faster is an idiot. anyone slower ia a moron

While a tounge in cheek comment, to our regret, it's true thought, for way too many.

IMHO, it will continue, until area's actually start enforcing rules, and pulling passes.

I have been coaching for a long time. Some are only controled by discipline. A small minority, will never get it, and need to be dismissed.

Also, consider when approaching a slower person, not only should it trigger thoughts of lesser skills, but a higher degree of reactions - possibly based on panic.

A lift ticket provides an opportunity to share a mountain. Not own it....

thetrailboss

Staff member
The boarder is overtaking the skier (or atleast attempting to), and thus based on the skier/rider responsibility code, the over taking person has the responsibility to avoid the downhill person. Boarder to blame

Agreed, but if the SB was in a closed racecourse, the skier should have avoided the course.

polariso

while a tounge in cheek comment, to our regret, it's true thought, for way too many.

Imho, it will continue, until area's actually start enforcing rules, and pulling passes.

I have been coaching for a long time. Some are only controled by discipline. A small minority, will never get it, and need to be dismissed.

Also, consider when approaching a slower person, not only should it trigger thoughts of lesser skills, but a higher degree of reactions - possibly based on panic.

amen

tjf67

While a tounge in cheek comment, to our regret, it's true thought, for way too many.

IMHO, it will continue, until area's actually start enforcing rules, and pulling passes.

What type of coach?

MMP

considering the snowboarder ran over the tails of the skiers boards, it is not even close who is at fault.

Imagine the nerve of that skier not getting the tails of his skis out of the boarder's way:rolleyes:

jaywbigred

DrJeff ftw. I mean, there is no real gray area there.

Morally, is it sometimes the downhill person's fault? Yeah, sometimes. But the rule is written the way it is for a reason. And I think it is a good rule.

tmcc71

boarders fault, no question

I work ski patrol. This is clearly the boarders fault, no question. I would have pulled his pass without fail. He did not use proper caution approaching and overtaking downhill trail user. He had several choices: slow down and fall in behind her, pass giving a safer margin of error, or stop. This is an easy one to read. there really is no argument to defend this boarders actions.

polariso

I work ski patrol. This is clearly the boarders fault, no question. I would have pulled his pass without fail. He did not use proper caution approaching and overtaking downhill trail user. He had several choices: slow down and fall in behind her, pass giving a safer margin of error, or stop. This is an easy one to read. there really is no argument to defend this boarders actions.

We have a winner !!!

tjf67

These people were not going that fast. He went over the back of her skis so yeah I guess it was his fault. They both came back together. Neither of them were in control and they crashed again. No one got hurt, lesson learned, be careful have a nice day.

dmc

These people were not going that fast. He went over the back of her skis so yeah I guess it was his fault. They both came back together. Neither of them were in control and they crashed again. No one got hurt, lesson learned, be careful have a nice day.

Exactly.. No harm - no foul..

deadheadskier

Staff member

very true.......but is it really necessary for folks to ski/ride that close to one another?

I'm someone who typically waits a considerable amount of time uphill to make sure I have a lot of clearance of others around me.

wa-loaf

Try not to bring any reason into these threads. Thanks