• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

katahdin

twigeater

Website
community.webshots.com
I've hiked with Skier75 quite a few times, always a blast! Looking forward to our next trip. :)

Fear of heights or vertigo is something that affects different people to different degrees. Something that wouldn't bother one person who has a "height thing" could be quite terrifying to another.

Not to discourage her, but having hiked with skier75, I know that her "height thing" is somewhat worse than mine (I get vertigo) and I did not like going up Hamlin Ridge. Course the wind was blowing hard the day I did it, so that didn't help.
Going down a trail is always easier for me, and I'd go down Hamlin again. To me Dudley is a blast going down the trail, but going up is too scary.

I know, it's weirdness. :-?

Mike P.

Very interesting, I found KE more troubling than I have found going up Huntington. Only a descent of Zupspitze into the Hollentol (or Hollental) was really bad. Not that KE was bad but I'd prefer a 3 or 4 point base in windy conditions than merely two.

Up I like better & was thinking this year of going up Dudley, across the KE & down Saddle or getting over to Hamlin & down Hamlin Ridge which I enjoyed doing last time on Katahdin.

B

Buster Brown

Parking at Baxter

Before I call BSP HQ, anyone know if one would have to pay for parking on top of reservations or is it included in the price of the reservations? Also, does BSP make sure that people with reservations will have a place to park at Roaring Brook if they get there late in the day?

twigeater

Website
community.webshots.com
Non residents have to pay the gate fee on top of the reservation fee.

You are guaranteed a parking spot at whatever campground you have reservations at. Backcountry reservations also have parking spots. If you stay at Avalanche Field, you can park at Roaring Brook with no problem.

Mike P.

Day parking lots are seperate from people staying in the park lots.