• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Az ski racing teams

thetrailboss

Staff member
The racing teams looked like a lot of fun. Hell, they let me hang out with them one night!

Vortex

Bump. We still have 1 pats team. Keep in mind we are trying to get two going and it looks like we may have some interest at Shawnee. Lets stay a step ahead of the Ct group.:dunce:

thaller1

Could someone give me some insight as to how the teams work ..

I'm planning to take a couple of weeks in the end of January to go to Utah and don't want to leave a team in a pinch...

Whaller1 is also interested in joining a team at SP..

How do you prepare for races, are there coaches available or is a more relaxed free for all kind of deal?

Thank in advance!

Terry

We were more relaxed, free for all kind of thing. We prepared for the races by going to the bar to have a couple of drinks! Basically it is all in what you want to put into it. Some people got real serious with GS suits, and all the latest race skis. We just relaxed and raced in our everyday gear. I do wish that they would set up a practice course so that you could work on your skills though. Two runs a week really aren't enough to improve your gate bashing skills. But we had a lot of fun though. We allways found ourselves about in the middle of the standings. Oh well! :beer:

thaller1

Sounds like a lot of fun! So, if a team member misses a couple of days it's not too serious? :) I really like the idea so if you need team members count Whaller1 and I in!

ga2ski

Our team at Pats is pretty laid back as most of them are. Sure there are serious racers, but we are mostly there to just have fun. I even think I saw Tree_skier smile . . . once, of course taht wasn't when Bob beat him down the course.

That being said there are some realluy good skiers at most of these race nights and a lot of regulars old joes like myself.

T - You and W would have a ball. If you miss a few weeks it usually doesn't hurt as long as your team has the required number of memebers to count as team that week. For us it was 5 people. Plus at Pat's they drop your best and worst weekly scores to determine who makes it to the finals. So join and have fun. If you want to practice, I'll sneak into the GSR and PT gates with you at SR.

Sky

Not sure about other places...and how they "have" to or "choose" to follow NASTAR or local mountainrules....but here goes.

1) Practice. SOme places have NASTAR courses set up for non-racing. WIldact does, but I don't know how frequently. Wachusett does every day. Wa's daily run is a single lane on the same slope as the nightly races, but not the same gates...so you can practice doing gates at least. Times are announced along with handicap-related medal achievement and (as long as you didn't achieve "platinum") the amount of time you need to drop to bump up to the next level.

2) Wa also offers clinics. Maybe other mountains do as well. Wa's are early morning (before the hill officially opens for the daily public) I think).

3) Where Wa requires a female racer...the team is "docked" if the female racer fails to show...but if you are doing this "recreationaly"....so what! Each racer still gets timed, and logged in to the NASTAR database, and really....you are racing against yourself and all others of your gender/age. Our female racer missed all but one race last year (we found a replacement who raced in her name). The replacement was older and still qualified for "silver" @ the lower age bracket. We had a "Masters" level team member....we came in 80th or so out of 125 teams. We all are doing it again...for the fun of it.

Go for it!

Vortex

Been gone for a while. T you and W will have a blast. As far a being serious.... I'm serious about 5 seconds before I race and thats it. Its friendly competition. Tree_skier is serious, but he also is a far better racer than the rest of us. Nice to have 1 heavy hitter. You W and and Terry are a start for a team. Better than riding the exercise bike. Ow not to mention racing does help you advance you free skiing.

thaller1

Ok, here are a few questions.. Whaller and I are both very competitive... probably me more than him..well.. maybe not.. I don't know.. I guess I am because I basically compete against the other sex... the "stronger" sex..(rolling my eyes here)..

should I invest in a racing suit???? My Fischer Big Stix good? etc..??

What about some lessons in racing? Do I just go out there and throw myself down the mountain and turn when I see a gate? :)

Vortex

T just shopping should be enough to motivate you.:idea: Depends on the league... Terry could probably give you more info at Shawnee. I don't wear one. It kind of seperates those who are motivated with those who are just out for fun. Most wear the suits that race on Wed and thurs. A few wear them on Mondays at Pats. Most are more concerned with hanging out than looking fancy.:beer: Special skies... use what you have and just go with it. Unless the ski mall is calling your name.:p Most of the race set ups are fairly easy to handle. Sounds like you will do fine.

thaller1

Thanks for the info. Bob!! Chatted w/ Whaller1 last night and we decided to just go w/ the flow..ski the Fischers and w/ the apparel we have... no need to spend 200$+ to buy a race suit until we know we love it for sure and/or get serious about it.

A little health competition would be good!! Is it winter yet?

ga2ski

T - You don't need any new clothes or skis to race in these leagues. Go out and have fun. As i said before, maybe i can talk to some of friends at PT and see if we can sneak into the gates for a few runs or better yet just run the gates while they are on the lift, but it is not necessary to practice. You will learn each week as you race as well.

thaller1

ga2ski said:
T - You don't need any new clothes or skis to race in these leagues. Go out and have fun. As i said before, maybe i can talk to some of friends at PT and see if we can sneak into the gates for a few runs or better yet just run the gates while they are on the lift, but it is not necessary to practice. You will learn each week as you race as well.

Yeah, I feel it would be better to just have fun! I'm not going to worry about fancy gear or clothes..just beating everyone.. ha ha ha :)

Terry

Nobody that I raced with got to serious about it. We just ran what you had for equipment and didn't bother with race suits. Besides they don't look to good with beer bellies! We just tried to best the times from the week before.:beer:

Terry

Actually on weds nights we raced. On the thurs night teams they seemed to be more serious. Weds nights was more laid back, have a beer and have fun kind of thing. Also less crowded on weds nights. Sometimes it gets cold waiting in line to race! The shorter the line, the quicker you can get another beer! :beer:

Vortex

Terry you seemed to have gone to the chilemass hard regemented training program. I hope you guys get this to work. It will give me an ecuse to come over and say hello some week night.

Maybe some Sr ( south people ) Might a be a good place to start. Ga2ski got scott from his work to join us. I wonder about Breeze(wildcat employee) Just thinking out loud. Still looking for a few more people to get a 2nd team at pats also.