• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Az ski racing teams

Vortex

bump. I got a race package in the mail. The capts meeting is DEC 19th. Ga2ski is our co captian and he is helping out by attending. They sent us a brosure.... Ski Mon-thurs on a non race nights, (we are monday) So tues, wed and Thurs and show you race tag and you can ski for $20 bucks. Just for race team members, I'll get out a few extra nights with this set up.

I talked to Thaller1 on Sat, sounds like she and Terry have that team set to go as well.

roark

bump. I got a race package in the mail. The capts meeting is DEC 19th. Ga2ski is our co captian and he is helping out by attending. They sent us a brosure.... Ski Mon-thurs on a non race nights, (we are monday) So tues, wed and Thurs and show you race tag and you can ski for $20 bucks. Just for race team members, I'll get out a few extra nights with this set up.

I talked to Thaller1 on Sat, sounds like she and Terry have that team set to go as well.
Cool, looking forward to it:snow:

thaller1

We do! We have 6 team members and 1 open space..
I sent an email to SP to find out when we need to have our race fees in.. or maybe Terry knows?

T

PS Great time Saturday Bob! Glad you like the shrimp..
Looking forward to catching you again and actualy doing some skiing! ;) I'm about to throw my boots out the window!

Terry

Acording to their website, the team fees must be paid in full by Jan 3rd. I think the team members just paid on the first race night. I plan on being at the River on sunday the 3rd if anyone is around. :beer:

thaller1

Acording to their website, the team fees must be paid in full by Jan 3rd. I think the team members just paid on the first race night. I plan on being at the River on sunday the 3rd if anyone is around. :beer:

Cool!
1/3 it is!
I'm not sure yet if I'll be up there Sunday .. weather depending! Hope to meet up w/ you soon though!!

:)

thaller1

I am soooo jealous of you guys. I was the Alpine Racing Coach at Greely JH for two years. We trainned and raced at Shawnee. Shawnee does an incredible job with the racing programs, you guys are going to have a blast! TH...do you know Mark Smith per chance?

Is Mark from North Yarmouth area? I'm nervous and excited as I've never raced before.. any pointers?

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Is Mark from North Yarmouth area? I'm nervous and excited as I've never raced before.. any pointers?

Yea, he is. He teaches at Chevrus, good guy, his son was one of my stars but infortunately he took him and the other elite racer we had to Chevrus for final 2 years. I thought everyone in NY knew eachother....:lol:

You'll be fine. Just like anything practice makes perfect. When we trained the adult teams were on the next trail and it seemed they were having alot of fun. One thing is at night it gets very cold there so be prepared. After the first run you'll learn that it's important to start your turns quicker, you will be nervous but that will go away as soon as you fall on your butt and everyone laughing...:smile:

I had kids that never raced before and some that spent every weekend in elite racing ptograms at the Loaf and SR. For the kids that never raced before I told them, bottom line, racing gates WILL make you a better skier.

Last edited:

thaller1

Yea, he is. He teaches at Chevrus, good guy, his son was one of my stars but infortunately he took him and the other elite racer we had to Chevrus for final 2 years. I thought everyone in NY knew eachother....:lol:

You'll be fine. Just like anything practice makes perfect. When we trained the adult teams were on the next trail and it seemed they were having alot of fun. One thing is at night it gets very cold there so be prepared. After the first run you'll learn that it's important to start your turns quicker, you will be nervous but that will go away as soon as you fall on your butt and everyone laughing...:smile:

I had kids that never raced before and some that spent every weekend in elite racing ptograms at the Loaf and SR. For the kids that never raced before I told them, bottom line, racing gates WILL make you a better skier.

Thanks for the advise and frightening image ! :)

Should I be afraid to slam the gate and just go around or trying hitting it like the pros do?

Does it hit back? ;)

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Thanks for the advise and frightening image ! :)

Should I be afraid to slam the gate and just go around or trying hitting it like the pros do?

Does it hit back? ;)

Actually if they use flexi gates it can bounce back and hit you. That's why a chin guard and helmuts are required by the state of Maine for kids to race. At your speeds I don't think it should be much of a worry. Like most adult recreational sports you will have people dressed and equipped like it's the World Cup and people wearing normal ski clothes and equipment.

I don't know for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if they are required or at least suggested for you guys but a quick call to the racing department at Shawnee should clear it up. If you really get into it a hemut with chin guard would be a good idea.

To be honest being "old school" I did get somewhat bummed about the technique of knocking the gates over as you are going around them. I realize that it allows you to get closer to the gate therefore increasing the times but at the level I was at the best racers that had the best technique of knocking them down and skiing around them at the same time always won. Takes alot of practice. The kids who raced every weekend had a definate advantage. We mostly raced GS but for slalom it's easier to accept and understand. As with most sports as you get better you will need some new equipment, like poles with crash bars on the grip part, to progress.

Bottom line...you will figure all this out on your own, at your own pace...you will have a blast.

When you guys get racing I hope you post about your experiences.

Last edited:

thaller1

For those of you racing at Shawnee:

Dec 21st is coaching night. $20 will get a night ticket, coahcing tips, and food in Blizzards.

Hope to see you there! :)

ga2ski

T - come with me at SR and we will hope in the gates. I only do this when I won't be in the way though. Often in mid-season, the black diamond group (adult seasonal program) sets up gates on Grand Rapids. I have heard that a black-coated guy on teles has been known to run the gates when the balck diamond crew is on the lift . . . .shhhhhh..... don't tell Dan.

thaller1

Sounds like a plan... I've sneaked in a few times when people aren't looking but not more than a couple gates.. I do like to ski right along side the racers thous and blow them away .. hee hee hee

bigbog

....weekends on Right Stuff will never be the same...

Sounds like you won't be the toughest skier to sort out as the AZoner @SR thaller1....the fully-armored one, Saturdays on Right Stuff or T2. One could polish up their Skiercross elbowing skills without much effort either...on weekends...:razz:

Vortex

MLK monday we are racing that Monday night. Got a note from pats. Our 1st night will be
Jan 8th. On vacation. I'll do more and follow up early next week.