• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mammoth Mountain, C.A June 7-9th 2006

loafer89

Mammoth Mountain, C.A June 7-8th 2006

Area Skied: Mammoth Mountain California

Dates skied: June 7-8th, 2006

Surface Conditions Frozen Granular (early morning), Machine Groomed, Spring Snow.

On Wednesday June 7th, we woke up early and skied from 7am to 12pm, snow conditions in the morning where very firm with carvable snow wherever the groomers had been, and soft corn snow where they had not been. This is because Mammoth uses salt to firm up the snow behind the groomer, as Killington used to do on Superstar years back.

Warren and I took a few runs on the groomed fairways, and then took a nice run into Rooster Tail Bowl and down a somewhat bumped up Dry Creek trail, which had some nice cliffs for a background and became my favorite trail at Mammoth.

On Thursday we skied a few groomed crusiers from 8-10am before driving to Yosemite (500 miles round trip)

Mammoth Wednesday Morning (Main Lodge):

MainLodge.jpg

Warren skiing Dry Creek:

DryCreek.jpg

A better view of Dry Creek and the upper mountain:

UpperMountain.jpg

Upper Mountain from further away:

Mountain.jpg

I left Warren to ski alone on the lower mountain late on Wednesday morning so I could ski the more extreme stuff near the summit, such as Drop Out Chutes:

DropOutChutes.jpg

This trail was fairly steep as you can tell by the angle of chair 23:

Steepangleofchair23.jpg

Last edited: