Mammoth Mountain June 9th

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mammoth Mountain June 9th

Area Skied: Mammoth Mountain

Date Skied June 9th, 2006

Surface conditions: Frozen Granular, Groomed Granular, Corn Snow

Friday June 9th was different from the other 3 days of skiing in that Mammoth started operating on a weekend lift schedule which meant that the upper and lower Panorama Gondola was working, giving access to the 11,053' summit. The weather was also much colder with 28F at the summit and 52F at the base when we started skiing at 7:30am.

Surfaces where really firm between 7:30am - 9:30am and reminded me of skiing in New England after a thaw/rain/freeze. By 9:30am the strong June sun went to work on the snow and soft summer corn could be found in south facing areas like Climax Bowl:

Climax bowl is very steep near the top and required precise turns to avoid a spill, but the soft corn bumps where fun to ski. With the snow in the groomed areas staying firm late into the morning, Warren practiced his turns in Gremlins Gulch:

Gravy Chute had some nice bumps near the top of the run, and some tree skiing thrown in for added fun:

We left Mammoth at 12:30pm and drove back to Las Vegas via Death Valley National Park where the temperature was 116F at Furnace Creek. The scenery was not all that thrilling with miles of seemingly endless roads:

Dirty mountain of snow at the Mammoth Inn parking lot:

Sonora Pass:

Last edited by loafer89; Jun 12, 2006 at 9:45 PM.
    2016-2017 - 21 Days

Thanks for the pics loafer.
    Dave
    11/12 Season 13
    12/13 Season 17
    13/14 Season 22
    14/15 Season 30
    15/16 Season 24
    16/17 Season 32
    17/18 Season 10

nice...

Looks like you gotta get out early for the good snow...

I want to go someday...
    "Sometimes the rock n roll life is not all rainbows & fairy dust..." - Fake Jerry

The Mammoth Mountain Inn (where we stayed) just sent me a customer satisfaction survey, which I gladly filled out. We enjoyed the mountain, but it looks to be an expensive place to stay during the winter. I paid $21.00 for a plain hambuger (no fries) and two drinks in the main lodge.

The only thing that irked me about our stay was when we checked in and the guy at the front desk commented about where we where from by saying "where the icy skiing is" just under his breath, which I let slide.
    Last edited by loafer89; Jun 13, 2006 at 9:08 PM.
    2016-2017 - 21 Days

Quote Originally Posted by loafer89

The only thing that irked me about our stay was when we checked in and the guy at the front desk commented about where we where from by saying "where the icy skiing is" just under his breath, which I let slide.
    I wouldve told him..."yeah and where the REAL skiers come from" only babies cry about east coast boilerplate. Skiings skiing right? I'd refer to a person like that as a "ski snob"...

Trip looks awesome.....its amazing how much snow they had this year...

M

Mammoth seemed to be a place where the snobs would come to ski in the wintertime, but during the spring/summer alot of the people skiing there where interested in skiing, not showing off. There where alot of park rats and some friendly people.

Next August/September 2007, I want to ski Mount Hood with my son.

The comment by the front desk clerk was meaningless to me anyway, most of the people out west would take off there ski's and walk down what we ski from day to day in the east. And while that may not sound flatering to eastern skiing, I would not want it any other way.
    2016-2017 - 21 Days

I can't recall who recently bought them, but they were bought by a major ski company last year and might have something to do with the price increases... however, it all comes down to price \ demand. Therefore, the mountain always wins.

Quote Originally Posted by loafer89
    Mammoth seemed to be a place where the snobs would come to ski in the wintertime, but during the spring/summer alot of the people skiing there where interested in skiing, not showing off. There where alot of park rats and some friendly people.
    Yup. Mammoth is where LA folks with enough money tend to go. Most norcal folk stick to Tahoe.

Great pics, thanks for posting. * Jealous *

Skiing Mammoth

Loafer said: "Next August/September 2007, I want to ski Mount Hood with my son."

I took all three of my kids on ski trips all over the country over the years (just kids, no wife). To this day, they still talk about the great times we had on those trips. They are now 22,27, and 30 and have all moved away. They can't wait to come and visit after I move to UT this year. Your son will reward you with comments like that in future years and it will warm your heart.

Thread Information