• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you smoke?

Do you Smoke?

• Yes

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • No

Votes: 37 48.1%
  • Sparingly, or just tried it

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Cigars only

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Ex-smoker

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Professional quitter

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

powpig2002

anyone that knows when , to the second, their last smoke was, spends alot of time thinking about it. i know my last was 09/15/09because it was the day of my second heart attack. i was an avid mountain biker. first thing i did when we got back to the cars was light a smoke

Greg

Staff member
Smoked throughout college and for a few years after. Never felt totally addicted. I could smoke a pack one day and not have any the next. It was mostly a social thing. Mostly Marb Lights, Mediums and Parliaments, sometimes Camel Lights. My wife quit when we were planning to have our first child. It was really hard for her especially considering the job she had at the time, but she hasn't smoked since. I don't think I've had a cigarette since either. I'll smoke a cigar here and there, but even that's rare, as is the other stuff. Just don't like inhaling shit into my lungs.

noski

My grandmother used to let me light her Salem Lights when I was a young teen. I smoked for maybe 5 or 6 years in my late teens and early 20s, mostly socially. I quit 29 years ago, and haven't looked back. I can smell someone else's smoke a mile away.

ERJ-145CA

I've been smoking since I was 14, so 26 years now. Quit for 5 months in 2000, had 1 with somebody and that was it. For the last 3 years or so I've only been smoking while I'm working, about a pack a day 4 days a week. Also I usually would buy a pack for a long drive to a ski area, if it was a close area I wouldn't smoke that day. All the down time in hotels and sitting around airports is all the excuse I need to smoke.

I can go without cigarettes when I'm not working no problem. I've had 2 week vacations where I didn't smoke at all and rarely thought about it but the first day back at work I'm smoking again.

I just bought an electronic cigarette and I like it, haven't had a tobacco cig since I got it. There is no combustion, it just vaporizes a liquid solution of flavoring and nicotine and you inhale the vapor. No smoke, no smell but it simulates the physical habits of smoking so hopefully I'm done with tobacco.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
nicotine junkie for sure. Been smoking since a freshman in High School, so nearing in on 20 years.

quit for about 4 months last year, then I got married. :lol:

I need to try again soon. I'm envious of folks who can smoke socially without becoming addicted. I'm just not that guy. Everytime I've quit, which has never been longer than a few months on several occasions, I've gone back to being a pack a day smoker within a week of having 'just one'.

dmc

I quit 20 years ago.... Cold turkey!

During that time - I was in Barbados and got HAMMERED at a bar.... Shock...
Bought a pack of smokes and smoke the last one as the sun rose... A whole pack...

Spent the next 2 day laying on the beach with a towel over my head... Couldn't move... Totally toxed,,,

Glenn

I did in college. A very similar smoker to what Greg posted. I just kinda stopped. I'll still have one now and again.

WakeboardMom

I never smoked. People's walks down memory lane in this thread sparked a few funny memories of my own.

Imagine this...I tried smoking a cigarette at a high school dance. My friends were doing it, so I thought I'd attempt it. Those were the days, huh? Smoking at a school function...? Hilarious. As for me, I looked like a dope, so I never tried it again.

In college my best friend and my husband (then boyfriend) would smoke in class; some professors did as well.

After we were married several years, my level of tolerance for my husband's bad habit got extremely low. He quit pretty much cold turkey after our third child was born. We were taking a 10-hour car trip, he knew I wouldn't allow smoking the car, so he figured it was as good a time as any. He still does smoke on occasion; when in a bar, or when there's a ton of stress. He tries to hide it from me, but that's pretty much an impossibility. It hasn't yet become a habit once again for him. (He had a heart attack at 47, about 15 years after he quit.)

What really saddens me is that I have a kid who's a smoker. He is totally and completely not allowed to smoke in my presence. (LOL..."allowed." He's turning 29 on Friday.) He's having his wisdom teeth out later this month and the oral surgeon advised him that it would be a good time for him to quit. Say a prayer, please.

Black Phantom

I only smoke in crowded gondolas and in liftlines.

Nice. I only smoke in gondolas, not lift lines. :beer:

When are you coming up?

3486352869_8906e29e8f.jpg

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Non-smoker. Both my parents smoked (my mom while pregnant with me) so I'm a bit of an anomaly. Mom quit when she was preggo with her last kid (I was 12) and didn't smoke for 12 years but then went through this stressful time when I was 24 and started smoking again. Dad smoked all along til he had a heart attack when I was 27. He quit for 6 months but since my mom and brothers still smoked around him, he's back to smoking. Doc told him that was worse than the food for his heart...

So out of our family of 6, both my parents and both my brothers smoke and my sister is married to a smoker...

Dr Skimeister

I smoked pack+ a day for 12 years or so. One day in 1983, threw the pack of fags I had out of my car window, haven't touched one since. I'll do an occasional cigar.

2knees

Nice. I only smoke in gondolas, not lift lines. :beer:

When are you coming up?

3486352869_8906e29e8f.jpg

hopefully soon. really wanted to get up after the last storm but only made it to snow. How's BB doin? rackin it still i hope.

TheBEast

Never smoked (tried it a couple times but didn't care for it much). My younger brother developed the habit in High School stemming from another habit he got into. He's been off and on for 10 years now. I really wish he would quit for his kids sake and his own health. My mom constantly harasses him about it. I dated a smoker once. Pretty gross. Can't stand the smell it leaves on your clothes and kissing her wasn't much fun either. Very glad most states I travel to have no-smoking laws in restaraunts and bars. I can't even imagine what it must have been like when people could smoke at work!

Black Phantom

hopefully soon. really wanted to get up after the last storm but only made it to snow. How's BB doin? rackin it still i hope.

Nice. Have not seen BB since mid-December. He is complaining about the drive and the cold. I think he is due for a Sundown appearance soon. :uzi:He is still racking it, just not up north.

jaja111

I've been on the cig wagon for 16 months now, but horribly addicted to nicorette for 15.9 of them. I do enjoy the occasional cigar, but only after having quit for about 10 months - avoiding smokers, the bar, bought a new car, cleaned the hell out of all my clothes and possessions, had a long talk with myself, repeatedly, about the fact this was suicidal, had a kid, etc. etc. In fact, I had to get a little smoke nazi against smokers, some of them friends. It was very conflicting, but I realized that my life depended on coming to despise and hate cigarettes. All this after 1,345,849 attempts to quit in the past 10 years. It was always something horrible that sent me back to "f%$# it" land and buy a pack... anything from having a bad day to someone dying, the latter seeming most justified as it was unexpected and in front of me on a motorcycle. This time around I have stood on the idea that nothing can ever justify returning to it, not even all out nuclear war.... not even being told I was going to die tomorrow.

I still absolutely love the smell of a burning cigarette, which can now be smelled on the expressway from 25 cars in front of me at 70mph. I see kids smoking now and I just want to grab them by the neck and shake them senseless to not make the same mistake I did. The damn things are just an awful plague on mankind.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
... the oral surgeon advised him that it would be a good time for him to quit. Say a prayer, please.
I hope he decides to.. and succeeds. I've never smoked, not once. Don't ever plan to either - not after watching my grandmother waste away as a vegetable for 4 years in a nursing home after a major stroke took everything but her last breath. The docs said the endless chain of cigarettes was a big contributor. But what struck me more than that is she still craved a puff and begged my grandfather to light them up for her and hold those filthy things to her lips. Here she was totally paralyzed and half brain dead, couldn't remember who or where she was, and yet she still craved the nicotine. Nope, I'll never start. Ever.

My wife quit two weeks before our first date in February of 1998 and hasn't touched one since. I'm so proud of her. She's been through a lot (medically) in the last 12 years and if anyone deserves to light one up to forget her worries for a bit, it's her. But she's stayed smoke free through it all.