• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Backcountry Ski Conditions Resources

skidmarks

Was Checking this out!

Hoping to ski some of these slides this winter. Has anyone been?

ADKSlides.jpg

atkinson

Website
www.sugarbush.com
attachment.php

Today in the Sugarbush sidecountry. Mid elevation is skiing surprisingly well. Upper elevation is hit or miss. Lower elevation is pretty challenging. More snow please.

bigbog

Speaking of Utah TTB, to look at Alta's snowcover = still deep:-o...or was that last year? Does the resort allow skinning up now that the liftsystem/area has closed...?

dlo55

Back country can't live with out it! What do you guys think is the best place to country ski?

The Future

Website
www.snowboardprogression.com
Thanks for these links, I'm hoping to get into backcountry travel in this area within the next few years, it can never hurt to be too careful, especially after what happened yesterday in CO :-(

Huck_It_Baby

I skinned up Tear Drop to around 2,800ft yesterday to get an idea of the base before tonights storms. Although in some places I found nice turns for the most part the TD needs a healthy dose of snow before it's skiing well. Hit some rocks and lost a ski at one point. I hear the storm is going to be wet and heavy snow. Perfect for base.

I opted to ski the CCC road down to the lot from the TD/CCC/Maple Ridge intersection. Tons of Fun! Mellow powder for 2 miles back down to my car.

TD_12_28_2013_A.jpg
TD_12_28_2013_B.jpg

MadMadWorld

I skinned up Tear Drop to around 2,800ft yesterday to get an idea of the base before tonights storms. Although in some places I found nice turns for the most part the TD needs a healthy dose of snow before it's skiing well. Hit some rocks and lost a ski at one point. I hear the storm is going to be wet and heavy snow. Perfect for base.

I opted to ski the CCC road down to the lot from the TD/CCC/Maple Ridge intersection. Tons of Fun! Mellow powder for 2 miles back down to my car.

View attachment 9989
View attachment 9990

Looks like a foot of heavy wet stuff should do the trick! Thanks for the shots

Huck_It_Baby

Looking good Huck...looking like a promising new year for off-resort fun.....

Looks like a foot of heavy wet stuff should do the trick! Thanks for the shots

Too bad last night's storm missed us up here. We could have used it. I suppose southern areas needed it more though.

I skinned up a nice isolated logging road I know of on Mansfield today for some crusty turns. Difficult conditions right now in the BC.

Maybe snow coming for the weekend.

ScottySkis

Too bad last night's storm missed us up here. We could have used it. I suppose southern areas needed it more though.

I skinned up a nice isolated logging road I know of on Mansfield today for some crusty turns. Difficult conditions right now in the BC.

Maybe snow coming for the weekend.
That not good. Weird storm Mountain snow was very good today. Hopefully everyone gets some with the next storm.

aveski2000

Interested in Backcountry Skiing but don't know where to start? We've got you covered. From where to go to what kind of gear you'll need and what type of hazards you'll be up against, we'll show you the ins and outs of Backcountry Skiing.

Certified Guide Al Mandel will be talking through everything you'll need to know about Backcountry Skiing. We'll have a rep from Ortovox present to talk about avalanche safety and what you need to be prepared to travel in avalanche terrain.

We will have refreshments and lite food fare. The cost of this clinic? Nothing, we want to help you get out skiing in the backcountry!
Allspeed Cyclery & Snow
72 Auburn St, Portland, Maine 04103
Just posting this, I'm a customer of the shop.
They are offering
[h=5]20% Off (skis, skins, bindings, avy gear, etc).[/h]