• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Backcountry Ski Conditions Resources

wtcobb

Seems pretty neat. I was hoping it was something people could just show up that day/weekedn and meet others and have a fun day of back-country activities, but it appears to be focused on courses and education... which is great too, just not something I'd have the time to do.

The $10 apres ticket seems more like that. Maybe worth checking out once they post vendors. For Ice Fest Tuckerman Brewing is usually a sponsor and provides free beer.

Jcb890

The $10 apres ticket seems more like that. Maybe worth checking out once they post vendors. For Ice Fest Tuckerman Brewing is usually a sponsor and provides free beer.

I saw that and thought it seemed like an interesting option. When I read the name and saw the link originally, I was thinking it would be great to go and get to learn a little about correctly hiking and riding Tuckerman Ravine. I've personally never done it, so some instructions on how not to hurt myself would be cool.

wtcobb

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1482784001.218688.jpg

Carriage Road in fine form today. Had to get it before this evening's schralp-fest.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Guyot

Looking good!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

wtcobb

wtcobb

Nice...Heard things were a little dicey at Tucks 3 skier triggered slides

Yeah, three triggered and one natural. Sunday had a big triggered slide in Duchess. This was on Little Headwall - we didn't venture further into the bowl beyond the rescue cache. Even on LH a skier further right of us triggered a small slide. Sketchy day to be out but great snow if you could make good assessments on where to travel safely.

wtcobb

When is a good time to go this season?

That will change by the day. Anyone who tells you a specific day/week/arbitrary time period to definitely go is doing you a disservice.

Check the MWAC reports: http://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/

Right now there is still a lot of fluctuation - considerable to low and back to considerable in a three day time period, and different ratings on different aspects. I wouldn't make a plan to "hit Tucks on X day," but to say "if conditions are good this day, we can go."

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I'm happy for the conditions but won't make it this spring, maybe Memorial day slackfest, but I doubt it. Hopefully slow dry warmup ,hate to see a headwall blowout .

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah, three triggered and one natural. Sunday had a big triggered slide in Duchess. This was on Little Headwall - we didn't venture further into the bowl beyond the rescue cache. Even on LH a skier further right of us triggered a small slide. Sketchy day to be out but great snow if you could make good assessments on where to travel safely.
Video of the Duchess slide.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/04/04/video-massive-avalanche-plunges-mount-washington/

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com