• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My Father the skier!

dmc

Tomorrow we have my Dads funeral... he was a fun guy and a good skier.

He is the number one reason why I chose the life of riding and skiing. Skiing became an important part of my family and still is.

He forked out the cash for me to take my initial turns in the mid-70s at a little ski area in Ohio. Until I ruined my gloves and he had to replace them.

He bought me cross country skis and i spent HOURS in the woods exploring. And learning how to get around.

He encouraged me to go ski with him at Big Boulder after we moved to NJ. We even used to run over there for early turns on Christmas Day.

He saved a took our entire family to ski in Austria 2 years in a row. He bought me my first new skis when i broke my hand me down skis on the Stubai Glacier. We walked around Innsbruck looking for them... Drinking beer and eating strudle.. Finally got a cool pair of Kastle skis.

When my Mom couldn't make a trip - he took me to Aspen for a week. We skied the power of the Big Burn in Snowmass and had the best time! We couldn't afford to eat out and had to pack lunches.

We continued to ski as I got better and better - and we started heading up to the Catskills to ski at Belleayre and Windham.. Dad was terrified of Hunter's terrain - he was more of a gental cruiser.

After I became a Hunter regular - he's come up with me and we'd ski chicken ridge before I'd head over to the westside for the steeper stuff...

He already had altzheimers when I finally made the move to Hunter and never visited - which will always make me sad. But he smiled when i told him about my adventures at Hunter and skiing around the world. And loved my pictures from skiing Kashmir.

Thanks for everything old man! My wish for for everyone to experience the joy that I felt when we were together - skiing mountains and drinking beers.. Trying to speak German and failing.. :)
Thanks Pops! See you on the other side...

photo1.JPG

IMG_1916.jpg

IMG_1919.jpg

Last edited:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
DMC, I'd like to offer my condolences. I know what you are talking about as I have gone through being very close to my dad and my mom had alzheimers. Sounds like he was a hell of guy and you had a close relationship, I'm sure you'll forever remember and treasure that, be grateful and happy.

Vortex

I am sure he is proud and will smile with your thoughts and words. Very Sorry. Thoughts are with you. Made me think quite a bit. Thanks Dads

catskills

DMC my condolences.

Skiing and sailing. Way cool dad. I am guessing a 36 foot monohull.

dmc

DMC my condolences.

Skiing and sailing. Way cool dad. I am guessing a 36 foot monohull.

Not sure... I can't remember where that was.. We did a ton of sailing then.. it was either the VI's or the Chesapeake.. We'd be on a 42' in the VI's probably a 36' in Maryland.

skiadikt

condolences. sounds like you have great memories of a dad who gave a lot. rip.

dmc

I bet he's pissed that I have to leave all this snow and head down to Jerz...

He liked the fresh stuff... :)

4aprice

My condolances as well. My dad was then one who planted the skiing bug in me and I am very thankful for the skiing time we had together before his passing.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
DMC. You have my deepest sympathies. My old man died from Alzheimer's 17 yrs ago. Like yours, mine was a skier. Taught me ti ski but more importantly gave me a love for skiing that I am trying to pass on (seems as though I have succeeded) to my girls now. He will live on in your memories and his spirit will be with you.

SIKSKIER

I'll be taking a few runs for him this weekend.

Just a fantastic thought to start a thread here as a tribute to your dad DMC.Yup.I have teary eyes after reading your post.I'm sure he would be very happy that you shared those memories with your ski forum friends.May he rest on an eternal powder cloud.

Beetlenut

Every boy should be so lucky to have a Dad like that! Remember, every time you ski, he is there, skiing beside you!

To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.
Thomas Campbell