• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/11 - 12 Storm Discussion Thread

2knees

Looks like Vermont hit pay dirt last night. Yahoo!

http://www.snocountry.com/index.php/ski-reports/vermont.html

The consensus for much improved conditions later this week keep coming in:
http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/

Me thinks/hopes a powder day is coming soon...

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

lol, if i'm reading that correctly, ascutney got the jackpot for the first time ever. and they're oob.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Interesting discrepancies between Albany vs MA and NoVT projections on snow totals. Albany seems a lot more bearish on snow for the Berks and SoVT compared to MA and NoVT NWS projection maps. I like Burlington's map, that is very generous compared to the forecasts I have reviewed. Maybe add a few inches for the mountains?

maineskier69

Friday would be a great day to hit Magic (as they are closed M-Th). Southern VT is looking good from here. Our Boyne passes are blacked out this weekend so we may try Shawnee Peak or even Camden Snow Bowl. Still hoping this storm tracks more west.

wa-loaf

Friday would be a great day to hit Magic (as they are closed M-Th). Southern VT is looking good from here. Our Boyne passes are blacked out this weekend so we may try Shawnee Peak or even Camden Snow Bowl. Still hoping this storm tracks more west.

They will open for a big storm.

Madroch

Greens always seem to do better than predicted in these setups...they call for 6-8 and end up with 16- 20 (or 30). I will make my final destination decision for wed sometime late afternoon. It will either be Sundown Wed. and greens thursday (Magic or SB or MRG), or North country Wed. (if I can't get two days off (not from work, from family!).

Glenn

NWS says 10-15"...local news guy says 8-18".

Looks like SoVT could get 6-12".

WinnChill

So what is being said now. Is killington going to get anything this weekend? Looks like it is just on the edge of significant accumulation.... 5-7 inches sounding about right at this point.. Mr Chill??? Happy new year to all by the way...

Been pulling my hair out over this--I avoid looking at other forecasts until I make mine but I did hear one that was on the high side--I'm leaning low again. VT, NH, and ME forecasts are updated for review this morning--certainly S NH/S ME resorts still favored...less for S VT thru N NH/N ME...even less N VT. Gunstock (possibly Waterville/Sunapee) could make out the best...as well as Camden/Shawnee (ME). We'll keep tracking closely.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Been pulling my hair out over this--I avoid looking at other forecasts until I make mine but I did hear one that was on the high side--I'm leaning low again. VT, NH, and ME forecasts are updated for review this morning--certainly S NH/S ME resorts still favored...less for S VT thru N NH/N ME...even less N VT. Gunstock (possibly Waterville/Sunapee) could make out the best...as well as Camden/Shawnee (ME). We'll keep tracking closely.

Powder day at McIntyre!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Interesting discrepancies between Albany vs MA and NoVT projections on snow totals. Albany seems a lot more bearish on snow for the Berks and SoVT compared to MA and NoVT NWS projection maps. I like Burlington's map, that is very generous compared to the forecasts I have reviewed. Maybe add a few inches for the mountains?

Albany has also been much slower to call their shots. I think they wait until the cat is almost in the bag. I find NoVT area to cover vastly more mountainous terrain, which, IMO makes them more experienced at this. They may be spot on with regards to lowlands forecasts, I simply don't follow that.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

For, me thinks up to 6 in SVT & SNH, 3-4 from RutVegas and Plymouth northward, not counting upslope. But what do I know, I just want to ski. For MA and southward, you see what I see.

jrmagic

Already on the short list. Will be interesting to see if Magic opens Weds. I could see Magic skiing amazingly better on Thurs after cumulative snow fall. MRG opens the Double tomorrow. Will be interesting if the Single is kept off line on Weds due to winds.

Given the timing of the snow I would doubt Magic would open tomorrow. Thursday might be a good option for you if the storm is kind and drops more than expected.

WJenness

OK, my brain is officially in ski-mode... Not going to get much done the rest of the day... argh..

-w

WinnChill

No worries. So how accurate is the NWS forecast for the Pocono's on this one? It seems like the #'s have been trending downwards over the past 36 hours.

I wouldn't go more than what they have now...probably a few inches, give or take a couple. Haven't looked too hard at that area but the storm flares up after it's past them.