• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/11 - 12 Storm Discussion Thread

WinnChill

Winn, is Bretton Woods looking better than Sunday River for snowfall? The winds are making me think BW but I want to factor everything in.

I'm closest to Gunstock but I never ski there and don't know how wind resistant they are.

BW and SR will probably do about the same for snowfall, generally under half a foot since heaviest snow falls south. Gunstock will make out better with accumulations. Winds probably won't be as strong as they were with the post-Christmas storm but still strong up top. The folks at Gunstock say their main lifts are somewhat sheltered and do ok with head on winds from a nor'easter, with exception of their Tiger lift.

Edd

BW and SR will probably do about the same for snowfall, generally under half a foot since heaviest snow falls south. Gunstock will make out better with accumulations. Winds probably won't be as strong as they were with the post-Christmas storm but still strong up top. The folks at Gunstock say their main lifts are somewhat sheltered and do ok with head on winds from a nor'easter, with exception of their Tiger lift.

Very helpful, thanks.

deadheadskier

Staff member

The Tiger lift was running in the high winds following the 'blizzard' a couple of weeks ago. I could see how there might be issues with it at the top. Very exposed on that ridge

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

dw2

The Tiger lift was running in the high winds following the 'blizzard' a couple of weeks ago. I could see how there might be issues with it at the top. Very exposed on that ridge

Actually, all the lifts there are pretty protected. The tiger lift has two buildings to the North of it (plus the lift shack) that effectively block the wind. The Pan can get a bit breezy, but there's a good line of hemlocks to the north and west that slow the wind down at the top, and it pretty much comes up through a ravine.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Actually, all the lifts there are pretty protected. The tiger lift has two buildings to the North of it (plus the lift shack) that effectively block the wind. The Pan can get a bit breezy, but there's a good line of hemlocks to the north and west that slow the wind down at the top, and it pretty much comes up through a ravine.

The winds are expected to be N-NE. The Sunapee trails all face N-NE as do the lifts. How well do the lifts handle straight on winds? Good opportunity for upslope at most all of the areas!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
NECN pushed the snow line significantly north west on their forecasts. Yesterday we were in the 6" range and now we are in the 12" range. Uh oh. My plans may need to be altered. We'll see what happens tomorrow morning. Hmmmm.....

I like what is happening for the forecasts in the mountains for sure! Everyone looks like they'll be getting plenty of play. Ski areas have to be pumped... just in time for the holiday weekend and Metro getting slammed (which is probably more important than the mountains getting slammed as far as the ski areas are concerned).

BigJay

i'll sacrafice the 15-20 forecasted for here on LI, for it all to dump in northern VT....

Yes... definately... c'mon... seriously, no one wants snow in Jersey or CT???? Bring that snow up to where the mountains need it and keep it away from cities... we don't want to trouble your morning commute... just put it up north and we'll take care of it!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
NECN pushed the snow line significantly north west on their forecasts. Yesterday we were in the 6" range and now we are in the 12" range. Uh oh. My plans may need to be altered. We'll see what happens tomorrow morning. Hmmmm.....

I like what is happening for the forecasts in the mountains for sure! Everyone looks like they'll be getting plenty of play. Ski areas have to be pumped... just in time for the holiday weekend and Metro getting slammed (which is probably more important than the mountains getting slammed as far as the ski areas are concerned).

If I could, I would pre-position in SVT tonight.

ERJ-145CA

It now looks like 6 - 12" here. I was planning to go to Shawnee, PA on Thursday to check out the new detachable quad but I may just go to Mountain Creek, it looks like more snow for Jersey than the Poconos.

roark

Thinking I'll save the potential day off for Thursday. Hopefully work sends us home ~2pm and I head to Crotched - still haven't used my night pass yet...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Albany really up'd its forecast map for the Berks and SoVT. Magic looks to be in the 1'+ range. Albany is now more Bullish than MA on SoVT. Killington/Pico holds the sweet spot on the VT map. And the NH map looks to be really down playing the potential considering other forecasts have up'd projections for NH. Wild!

Euler

Schools have been canceled in SoVT for tomorrow. I won't be able to make it to Mt. Snow during the storm, but I'll have the perfect opportunity to get better at making turns on my newly acquired Alpina Lite-Terrain Nordic BC set-up. Bring it on!

ZYDECORICH

It now looks like 6 - 12" here. I was planning to go to Shawnee, PA on Thursday to check out the new detachable quad but I may just go to Mountain Creek, it looks like more snow for Jersey than the Poconos.

correct! may be windy wed., and you know they'll shut the gondola down.screw that snail of a triple chair, i'll be there friday, i wish thursday but the work world calls...enjoy should be good. snowing now..more than 12 possible they say.