• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/11 - 12 Storm Discussion Thread

Greg

Staff member
The snow has started. The radar looks impressive. School is already canceled. Bring it!

Edd

Dumping in Portsmouth now. Hoping to get out of work early but I may not be able to leave until 7. With the roads the way they are and fear of winds it's either Gunstock, Cranmore, or BW.

Greg

Staff member
Thunder snow this morning. And a lot of accum here so far. At least a foot+. Hard to tell with the drifting.

UVSHTSTRM

Upper Valley Report - 0 Wind, 18.3 Degrees and about 3.5 inches of snow, started snowing out after 3am. Coming down pretty good still. Maybe it will shut of here soon (doubt it), but its funny how we have 3.5 inches of snow and accuweather still has 5 inches of snow, which was 4 inches last night when I went to bed. As you can imagine it is really fine snow, but not the super fluff we got last time.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Upper Valley Report - 0 Wind, 18.3 Degrees and about 3.5 inches of snow, started snowing out after 3am. Coming down pretty good still. Maybe it will shut of here soon (doubt it), but its funny how we have 3.5 inches of snow and accuweather still has 5 inches of snow, which was 4 inches last night when I went to bed. As you can imagine it is really fine snow, but not the super fluff we got last time.

Can't really tell what location you are talking about, MRV?

Great base for the woods and pow cover for the trails.

This whole "blizzard" thing may be for naught, since nothing can blow around, at least down here in MA.

roark

5-6" in SW NH. Not as wet as one might hope, but better than the last one methinks.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Less than half an inch this morning in Ashland. No surprise, this thing is going to start later up north and not do as much. They increased snow totals for this region yesterday but I don't think its going to pan out if this doesn't get going ASAP. Just walked the dog and visibility is still very good, minimal wind for a major storm at this point.

Upper Valley is the West Leb area.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Great base for the woods and pow cover for the trails.

This whole "blizzard" thing may be for naught, since nothing can blow around, at least down here in MA.

by definition a blizzard is a snowstorm with heavy snow, winds in excess of 35 mph and visibility less than a 1/4 mile that lasts for at least 3 hours.

we've got 3 out of 4 here on the seacoast. Winds definitely aren't 35.

I'd say 10 inches outside here and dumping

WinnChill

by definition a blizzard is a snowstorm with heavy snow, winds in excess of 35 mph and visibility less than a 1/4 mile that lasts for at least 3 hours.

we've got 3 out of 4 here on the seacoast. Winds definitely aren't 35.

I'd say 10 inches outside here and dumping

To clarify even further, you don't even need falling snow--blowing snow (ground snow blown around by 35+mph winds) that reduces visibility to 1/4 mile or less is technically a blizzard. It has nothing to do with actual snow amounts. If you have "blizzard-like" conditions that don't really last 3 hours straight, Blizzard Warnings may still be issued depending on how the NWS wants to work it.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
To clarify even further, you don't even need falling snow--blowing snow (ground snow blown around by 35+mph winds) that reduces visibility to 1/4 mile or less is technically a blizzard. It has nothing to do with actual snow amounts. If you have "blizzard-like" conditions that don't really last 3 hours straight, Blizzard Warnings may still be issued depending on how the NWS wants to work it.

Understood. I used to live in Western NY where whiteouts were all to common. Much of the snow on the ground here is too heavy to blow around.

WinnChill

Understood. I used to live in Western NY where whiteouts were all to common. Much of the snow on the ground here is too heavy to blow around.

I mean, normally you have falling snow but it's hard to tell the difference with it whipping around like that. Looks like you're right on the edge of their Blizzard Warning.

We probably have just over half a foot now--moderate/heavy snowfall. While it's puking snow outside today, I have puking kids inside...gonna be a fun day. :eek:

WinnChill

Those lake effect whiteout conditions are no joke! I ran into some in Michigan and was by far the most dangerous conditions I've driven in--I had no idea where I was driving on the Interstate