• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/11 - 12 Storm Discussion Thread

UVSHTSTRM

Another coastal south of where it counts, gah. December was very promising (and I can't complain because Cannon, along with Bretton, had one of its best Decembers I can remember), but this is starting to seem like last year....

It only goes til Tuesday, Wednesday should be NNE's day........I hope. I saw one loop a day or two ago that showed the northern fringe being rain.......glad that is at least out of the question.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
It only goes til Tuesday, Wednesday should be NNE's day........I hope. I saw one loop a day or two ago that showed the northern fringe being rain.......glad that is at least out of the question.

And I'm going to be in MN on business Mon-Wed. Hope I'm not living out of the airport like people in the last storm.

hammer

Another coastal south of where it counts, gah. December was very promising (and I can't complain because Cannon, along with Bretton, had one of its best Decembers I can remember), but this is starting to seem like last year....
Last forecast I saw from NWS was that this could be a big event...south of the Mass Pike. :-?

polski

Website
twitter.com
From what I gather the successive model runs keep nudging the coastal low westward, which would be good for the interior. I can't get too excited given all the recent busts but NWS-Taunton saying medium to high confidence of a hit on SNE and NWS-Burlington currently saying could be 6+ S/central Greens. Wondering if it might be a bit of a redux of the post-Christmas storm, complete with strong NW winds on the backside.

WinnChill

Yeah, at this point, southern New England may get clipped but I just don't like the speed and track of it right now. The upper level pattern needs to be more amplified to get a good storm cranked up and wrap some snow back into us--as of now, it looks too flat--and too much room for it to just scoot out to sea.

Glenn

NWS (as of this AM, haven't looked recently) said our area in CT could get 8"+. We'll see. I'd like to see VT get blasted. While most areas are doing fine becuase of snow making, some natural would help things...and the woods. Plus, a lot of tourist dollars come from snowmobiling...and there's not enough snow for that.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
It's getting interesting
day3_psnow_gt_04.gif

BTW, the areas may be doing OK financially because of snowmaking, but the snow conditions in general are sub-par. My $0.02. That and $5 will get you in the door at Starbucks ;)

Last edited:

Glenn

This is looks better! Already a Winter Storm Watch posted for CT. Let's see if it creeps up to VT soon.

SKIQUATTRO

i'll sacrifice any snow on LI if it hits up north (burke) supposed to head up this weekend...