• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bike Log

Charlie Schuessler

58-km round trip to Crotched Mountain on Saturday afternoon just before the rain started. With the trails green with grass and the lifts sitting quietly, the place looks ready for cold weather.

mlctvt

100 miles as part of the "flatest century in the east" , Averaged 16.9 mph. Not enough training to beat my all time best of 20.0 mph average about 10-years ago. Terrible head-winds for the last 40 miles but an overall excellent event and day riding.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
100 miles as part of the "flatest century in the east" , Averaged 16.9 mph. Not enough training to beat my all time best of 20.0 mph average about 10-years ago. Terrible head-winds for the last 40 miles but an overall excellent event and day riding.

Well congratulations! Where was this ride?

mlctvt

Andyzee- The "flatest century in the east (TFCE)" ride started in North Dartmouth Massachusetts at the University of Mass / Dartmouth campus. The rides goes north 20-25miles then back south and east into Rhode Island. It's a really well organized century put on the second Sunday of September each year by the Narragansett Bay Wheelmen bike club (www.nbwclub.org). It truly is flat with just several short hills and a few miles of slightly increasing elevation. The wind was the worse this year because of the remnants of hurricane Florence. My wife and I have been doing this ride every year for about 17 years now. They limit it to 1600 riders and the ride sells out in May so you have to register early. There are 25, 51 and 67 mile options too but you have to decide at the start which distance you'll be doing because the options take diferent roads right from the start. They do a great job , three good stops with food (fruit ,PBJ sandwiches , water or gatoraid ) and there are cops that hold hold traffic for you at the major road crossings. Almost all of the riding is on rural residential streets. The ride goes to the ocean in several spots with good views, that's where the wind from Hurricane Florence was the worst. We live in Connecitcui and it took us 1 hout 40 minutes to get there but it's well worth the drive. I don't know where you live but if you'd like to do this ride come join us next year.

SKIQUATTRO

have take a few days off the bike as the surf from Flo is filling in...body take a beating surfing 2x a day.....great waves!!

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
mlctvt, you should post this next year before the entries are due, it sounds really interesting. Just like you, there was a time I would have breezed through this at 20+ mph, ain't happening now :) Flat course makes this sound interesting for this old man :)

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Tried a new trail today mostly unpaved in the area of Morristown, NJ. Unfortunetly I didn't have a map and we ran out of trail after about 5 miles so got a total of 10 miles in.. Overall, I think it's supposed to be like 20. Well gonna try a different one tomorrow, here it's real nice. These pics are from today.

P9160003.jpg
P9160009.jpg

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
40 miles today, really nice off road trail in Northern NJ. Paulinskill Valley Trail which we caught outside of Newton, NJ and rode almost to the Delaware River http://killingtonaccessrd.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=46 . It was a bit on the muddy side after all the rain, but loads of funny, may check it out again next week. If anyone here is from the area and would like to check it out let me know, maybe we could get a ride together.

normal_P9170060.JPG
normal_P9170036.JPG

skibumtress

Andy, these are the trails I've been telling you about since last summer.
Glad you finally got there and enjoyed them. It's my favorite place to bike. There are lots of others too in that area. Don't know if you were able to check them out but near the airport (off the paved and gravel areas) are lots of mountain trails.... some steep as all heck (but they're sure fun riding down). I enjoy those trails because they range from easy to advanced.
I see you have pics of the airport. That's where I park the car and then before I head home I chill by the lake that's right there. Beautiful area!!!

Last edited:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Holy crap, it's a Bummy post! Hehe,yeah I know you've been telling me about Allchamy(sp), didn't realize you meant this and I have meant to get out there. Finally did :)

skibumtress

Holy crap, it's a Bummy post! Hehe,yeah I know you've been telling me about Allchamy(sp), didn't realize you meant this and I have meant to get out there. Finally did :)

It's a great area, isn't it?! And again, glad you finally got there. Knew you would like it. Two summers ago, I was there almost every weekend and I still haven't rode the whole area. You can also take the other set of the old rails and that brings you into the Lafayette area.
Did you folks park in Andover by the airport and lake? I've found that that's the best starting place. There are other parking areas also but this is the only one I've used. Also, there's a house beyond the lake (on the paved area) that has restrooms and maps.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
It's a great area, isn't it?! And again, glad you finally got there. Knew you would like it. Two summers ago, I was there almost every weekend and I still haven't rode the whole area. You can also take the other set of the old rails and that brings you into the Lafayette area.
Did you folks park in Andover by the airport and lake? I've found that that's the best starting place. There are other parking areas also but this is the only one I've used. Also, there's a house beyond the lake (on the paved area) that has restrooms and maps.

Actually we parked north west of Newton off CR 622. If you're knee is good enough to bike and you want to join us, we may do it again this coming weekend. Lifeisgood from kzone may join in as well as my friend Jeff and been working on talking Zook from here into goin on a bike ride(she seems like a nice enough gal to corrupt) ;) .

skibumtress

Actually we parked north west of Newton off CR 622. If you're knee is good enough to bike and you want to join us, we may do it again this coming weekend. Lifeisgood from kzone may join in as well as my friend Jeff and been working on talking Zook from here into goin on a bike ride(she seems like a nice enough gal to corrupt) ;) .

I can bike now. Actually did a little last week but only on paved areas. Don't know how I'll be on dirt and gravel trails. Doc did give me the o.k. tho.
Do know that parking area. A friend of mine works in Newton.... and he's the friend who told me about this area in the first place.
Will let you know..... I've had this flu bug thing I've been trying to shake for over a week so hopefully I'll be feeling better then (just can't get rid of this darn thing and it's really drained my energy level).

Last edited:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Nice ride today. 17.5 miles@ 20 mph. Due to the fact that my rim cracked on me, I didn't think I'll ride the road bike again until next year. Well this past weekend I stopped in a bike shop and got a good deal on a pair of Bontrager Race wheels, with Bontrager Race Lite tires, $100 off list. The deal was to good to pass up so I got the wheels. Between them, the new shifters, new cassete, and new saddle, it's almost like a new bike. I was on fire today. That speed is an estimate, low side, cause my computer stopped working.

skizilla

Rail Trails

I just road the Nashua Rail Trail and the Harlem River Rail Trail.

The Harlem Rail Trail ....not in NYC was awesome I did the section near bash bish falls on the mass border in Copake Falls. The Taconics rose 800 feet to the left and rolling country side and farms were on the right. The trail was in good shape as well. It was relatively short at 4 miles one way but local roads are all reasonably mellow and free of traffic and there is a road at the bash bish side that goes into taconic state park for about a mile before it becaomes ridiculously steep.

I also rode the Nashua Rail Trail. It was of good length about 11 miles and was in really good shape. It is in massachusetts across the border from Nashua. It is moderately scenic as several sections go along farm fields, the river and other wetlands. It is also within an hour of boston...to be honest i was suprised it was not much busier.