• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bike Log

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Six yesterday, six today on the Lincoln Woods Trail in Lincoln, NH. I really want to do a lot of riding. The girlfriend and I just bought bikes (after talking about it for a couple of years), and we've taken to it!

bruno

with all the good weather in may i rode 1199.7 miles for the month. that's a lot for me. i am hungry like a wolf all the time.:spin::roll::dunce::beer::daffy::flag::snow:

bvibert

Staff member
I rode for about an hour in the woods yesterday. It sure felt great to get out! The first time riding on a full suspension bike. :D

bvibert

Staff member
An upgrade?

Of sorts, my dad got a new bike this year, so he's letting me 'use' his old bike now that it's not much use to him. :) I think I need a little more air in the rear shock, but otherwise it felt good.

MR. evil

Of sorts, my dad got a new bike this year, so he's letting me 'use' his old bike now that it's not much use to him. :) I think I need a little more air in the rear shock, but otherwise it felt good.

What make / model of rear shock do you have? Many rear air shocks don't perform so well with guys of your size. They tend to blow right through all of the travel. You also want to make sure the sag is set correctly. I prefer the feel and performance of a coil shock over air myself. But I have been toying with the idea of getting a high end air shock to save some weight. Manitou makes a couple of air shocks that eveyone claims work just as good as coil.

bvibert

Staff member
What make / model of rear shock do you have? Many rear air shocks don't perform so well with guys of your size. They tend to blow right through all of the travel. You also want to make sure the sag is set correctly. I prefer the feel and performance of a coil shock over air myself. But I have been toying with the idea of getting a high end air shock to save some weight. Manitou makes a couple of air shocks that eveyone claims work just as good as coil.

It's just a plain old Fox Float (no adjustments other than air pressure). I'm pretty sure that I didn't blow through all of the travel, but I may of come close. I also wasn't doing too much crazy stuff. I didn't really set the sag, I just set the pressure to 80% of my weight as a starting point and figured I'd tweak it from there. I was thinking during the ride that I probably should have done a more thorough job. I don't have the cash for a shock upgrade right now, but that's something that I had already been thinking I'd have to do down the road.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I've been doing a lot of riding of late. It's amazing to me how much of a better workout I get from Road riding. The lbs just shed. I'm almost back to my summer weight.

Got out for about an hour last night in the woods. Did my "regular road ride" both Friday and Sunday. I'll be out on the road in the morning before work as well. :)

Plus....the road riding make me like a rabbit on the trails! I was out ahead of the "pack" last night and wasn't really winded or needing a break.

cbcbd

Plus....the road riding make me like a rabbit on the trails! I was out ahead of the "pack" last night and wasn't really winded or needing a break.
A buddy of mine used to race XC and said that the only thing that would get him conditioned enough to be competitive on the trail was riding on the road. You wanna really train for the trail... take your mtb on the road ;) no way could I stomach that slowness :D

mlctvt

with all the good weather in may i rode 1199.7 miles for the month. that's a lot for me. i am hungry like a wolf all the time.:spin::roll::dunce::beer::daffy::flag::snow:

Congrats! awesome miles if you're not on a trip? I wish I had the time. The only time I've done over 1K in a month was when I took extended bike trips averaging 60-90 miles/day. I used to average 5 to 6k year and I put over 50K on my previous bike but lately my job's just been getting in the way, maybe when I retire???

MonkeyBrook

Quatrro, how is the training going. Got out for an Olympic plus on Tuesday 1.2 in pool, 30 on bike, 10K...feeling good. 5 weeks to go. Ocean is warming up, which is a good thing.

bvibert

Staff member
Got out for about 1.5 hours at the WH rez again yesterday. Sure did feel good to get out again! :D

I figured out why my newly acquired FS felt a little too squishy at the end of last ride, the shock won't hold the pressure I set.. :(

SKIQUATTRO

trainings going well....the bricks are really working (my weakest link is running..strongest is swimming)

got a 60miler in yesterday morning, legs felt great, really starting to dial in the nutrition..I tried NUUN this past ride and it was fantastic...

cbcbd

Just went for an hour ride at mianus on the mtb... man, it was brutally hot. I felt pretty faint at times after tough ascents and at the end of the ride I dunked my head in the river, it was very needed. And then proceeded to step in some dog crap.
Now I'm chillin with a strawberry smoothie.

marcski

Got out for about 1.5 hours at the WH rez again yesterday. Sure did feel good to get out again! :D

I figured out why my newly acquired FS felt a little too squishy at the end of last ride, the shock won't hold the pressure I set.. :(

http://www.pushindustries.com/

They do better work on Fox shocks than Fox does....

I got the $150 version with Push's own parts and its still going strong over 1 year later and tons of riding.

marcski

Just went for an hour ride at mianus on the mtb... man, it was brutally hot. I felt pretty faint at times after tough ascents and at the end of the ride I dunked my head in the river, it was very needed. And then proceeded to step in some dog crap.
Now I'm chillin with a strawberry smoothie.

I hope you left the dog crap out of the smoothie....

I didn't ride today, but I did ride sat early morning...my regular road ride, about 30 miles, 2000' of climbing. I started to do the same ride yesterday, but after about 10 miles...my rear derailleur stopped working...I think the cable snapped or something....Bringing it in tomorrow. So, had to go home with just 2 gears.. 3 and 13. lol.

Ended up doing about 15 miles and I had more in me, so I hopped on the mtn bike and did about another hour in the woods.

bvibert

Staff member
http://www.pushindustries.com/

They do better work on Fox shocks than Fox does....

I got the $150 version with Push's own parts and its still going strong over 1 year later and tons of riding.

Thanks, I found their site in my searched already (not to mention I'd heard of them before). I'm not sure how much they can do for me since I just have the base float (no R or anything, there's not adjust ability to it other than air pressure), but I did see that their air chamber rebuild was only $25.