Bike Log - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 116 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 1157

Thread: Bike Log

  1. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    43 miles yesterday at 19.1 mph with Nate.

    Not a perfectly flat ride but not too much elevation. A couple 3-400 ft climbs and rollers the rest of the ride.
    Good one! Work has kept me from riding the last few days, hope to get a good one in this weekend. Damn, you give me a lot to shoot for, don't think I'll top that one anytime soon. But, I can try


  2. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by jplynch019
    Marc. I'm without a cyclocomputer too. But my commute is exactly 20 miles, so the math gets really easy. 1 hr = well, you get it. Shortest time home was 50 minutes. Wind at my back, temp around 60 traffic very light, hit mostly greens. A friend of mine also has all the computers and heart rate monitors, etc. If I'm not seeing stars or looking down the tunnel, I figure I'm good to go!
    Haha, my philosophy as well.

    Bruno and Andy- thanks, it feels good to be improving. My climbing still needs a lot of work though.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

  3. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    Haha, my philosophy as well.

    Bruno and Andy- thanks, it feels good to be improving. My climbing still needs a lot of work though.
    When climbing, do you try to stay in the saddle or do you just automatically stand?

  4. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by andyzee
    When climbing, do you try to stay in the saddle or do you just automatically stand?
    Depends on a lot of things. How steep, how long, where in the ride, and whether or not I'm trying to keep up with someone else.

    When I'm alone, I sit and spin for as long as possible, switching hand positions and front to back on the saddle. On long or especially steep climbs I'm up out of the saddle.

    I have using the standing more and more, I can sometimes find a better rhythm that way.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

  5. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    Depends on a lot of things. How steep, how long, where in the ride, and whether or not I'm trying to keep up with someone else.

    When I'm alone, I sit and spin for as long as possible, switching hand positions and front to back on the saddle. On long or especially steep climbs I'm up out of the saddle.

    I have using the standing more and more, I can sometimes find a better rhythm that way.

    I think that's a common mistake. I'm no great climber, but I found the more I stay seated the better. Yes there are times you have to climb out of the saddle, but I try to avoid as much as possible. I think that when you are climbing and get out of the saddle, you exert more energy due to the fact that you are now using your whole body as opposed to just your legs, yes initially your body weight may help, but in the long run, you exert more energy. I found that if I stay seated as long as possible I do far better. I think the most important think to keep in mind is your breathing. Try to keep those lungs open through the proper position. Sit up straight, hands on top of handle bars, keep the lungs expanded as much as possible and try not to move anything but your legs. At first this may seem more difficult, but if you stick with it, you'll find it gets easier all the time.Just my opinion, found it works for me, hope it helps.

  6. #76

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    beantown and NY to da C
    Posts
    228

    Smile

    50 miles including commute yesterday. gonna ride my ass off as i have sunday, monday, and tuesday off!! though i may go hikin' monday in da whites!!

  7. #77
    A lot of it depends on the terrain. During the Trek Across Maine there were many long climbs. On those I remained in the saddle and focused on cadence an breathing (gear selection was determined by keeping a steady cadence). During my commute to work there are a couple of short steep climbs that I know I'm better off standing and blasting up those quickly. It has two benefits: 1) if I've been sitting for awhile on the ride it gives my legs a well deserved stretch, and 2) the roads I ride are so narrow it gets me through "trouble spots" quickly. For example I almost got shoved off the road on one of these short climbs by a soccer mom driving a Ford Excursion who had 5 kids in the back and she was talking on the cell phone.

    So now when I'm at that short, steep hill I'm immediately up off the seat so I can get through the danger zone fast.

    I have 2 training hills near the house that are really steep. On those I have to "read" the terrain. Parts I sit, and parts I have to stand.

  8. #78

  9. #79
    The Good the Bad and the Ugly:

    Good - Did 48.5 miles today with some decent climbs

    Bad - Couldn't keep the same pace as last week's ride of 17.2. The wind, hills, and old age , kicked my butt, avg down to 16.2 MPH

    Ugly - Not sure what it was, the weather, air quality, old age, or a combination. I was hurtin for the last 10 miles. My legs started cramping up, a little trouble catching a good deep breath, and some mild tightness in my chest. I had to pull over and rest until the breathing got better, cramps never fully went away. I did drink plenty of water during the ride, I also drank two cups of coffee before the ride, think that was a mistake.
    Last edited by andyzee; Jul 1, 2006 at 12:42 PM.

  10. #80

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    beantown and NY to da C
    Posts
    228

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by andyzee
    The Good the Bad and the Ugly:

    Good - Did 48.5 miles today with some decent climbs

    Bad - Couldn't keep the same pace as last week's ride of 17.2. The wind, hills, and old age , kicked my butt, avg down to 16.2 MPH

    Ugly - Not sure what it was, the weather, air quality, old age, or a combination. I was hurtin for the last 10 miles. My legs started cramping up, a little trouble catching a good deep breath, and some mild tightness in my chest. I had to pull over and rest until the breathing got better, cramps never fully went away. I did drink plenty of water during the ride, I also drank two cups of coffee before the ride, think that was a mistake.
    dude that's still a good ride. just take a little more recovery time and this ride'll stand ya in good stead! you stressed your systems good which, of course after a good recovery, will make you stronger. great effort!!!! keep it up!!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:15 AM.