Cold(er) weather riding

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cold(er) weather riding

I would like to keep riding the mountain bike well into the Fall this year, hopefully right up until ski season. Brian, Tim and I talked briefly about it and Brian made a good point about how your fingers and toes can get pretty cold. I have full finger gloves, but there's no insulation and I can see how your feet can get pretty cold, especially if they get wet, given my riding shoes are very "breathable".

What do you do to combat this? I figure I'll start with a long sleeve synthetic shirt when the temps dip below 50 and maybe a fleece if it gets close to 40. I wouldn't anticipate riding in temps much below that. Do you just stick with shorts, or do some long pants come into play? Any specific good clothing suggestions?

There are, of course, purpose made solutions to MTB riding in the cold weather. However they can be kinda costly and I have trouble justifying them for a limited amount of could weather riding. I may pick of a pair of warmer cycling gloves though. They have booties to cover your shoes, but they seem kind of pricey for what they are. I've seen threads on other sites where people take old wool socks, cut a hole for the cleat, and put them over their shoes. Might look silly, but I suppose it would work, at least until the sock falls apart.
    Brian

I might just get a set of flat pedals to ride with some warmer shoes. That and some warmers clothes will probably he it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    I might just get a set of flat pedals to ride with some warmer shoes. That and some warmers clothes will probably he it for me.
    Don't underestimate how cold your hands can get being out in front on the handle bar. I took one ride in some slightly colder weather last fall and my hands and feet were freezing to the point that I cut the ride short. I had on some spring weight skiing gloves and my fingers got so cold I had trouble using them to control the bike. I tried to ride hard to get my core temp up and my blood flowing, but it didn't matter since the harder I rode the faster I went, which meant more cold wind hitting my hands...
    Brian

And winter riding gloves too. I think Chainlove had some recently for road riding.

Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    And winter riding gloves too. I think Chainlove had some recently for road riding.
    Yeah, they've had them up a few times.
    Brian

Platforms for the winter, huh? That's a thought. Do they simply make colder weather shoes which you can use with cleats; some insulation and perhaps with Gore-Tex? Probably a wash vs. buying platforms and easier to adjust the shoe to the pedal based on the temps, vs. swapping pedals.

And maybe a set of shin guards. I have some old insulated/waterproof hikers kicking around that I haven't worn in a while and just hated to toss them, this probably would a good use for them.

I wear my LJ for skiing under my shorts and put my spring ski gloves on. It may look a little gomersih but it does not matter. People hate getting tromped by a gomer which makes it all the better.

My feet never get cold but what about a pair of foot warmers. I would think they would do the trick

Thread Information