• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bike Log

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
bruno said:
the spa?!! c'mon man! rain ain't gonna hurt ya. lance rides in the rain. slap some fenders on and yer good to go!!!

fergit the spa? (is that the same as a "gym"?):flame: :wink: :-o :cool: :snow: :spread: :flag:

Yeah, same as the gym. Just don't like riding in rain, get filthy, can't go as fast, and it's more dangerous. Did go to the gym and was pleasently suprised. I went for the excercise bikes, which were all being used. Saw they had some new equipment, NordicTrack Incline Trainer http://www.nordictrack.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=153&prrfnbr=465995&cgrfnbr=457333&rootcat=46525 , great piece of equipment. You can adjust the incline to 50 degrees. First time I tried this I was going to fast and almost fell off as I was holding on trying to decrease the incline :oops: So, bottom line would have prefered to be out on the bike, but got in a good workout.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Today was a pat myself on the back kind of ride. I woke up at 6:30, saw it was cloudy out, checked weather.com, they predicted rain and thunderstorms. Sat around til about 8 trying to decide what to do, really wanted to get a long ride in but didn't want to do it in the rain. Between 6:30 and 8 no rain, damn, that's an hour and a half I wasted. Said screw it, got dressed, jumped on the bike and started riding, it immediately started drizzling, what to do. This is where I actually thaught of Bruno busting my chops, I decided to take a 10 mile ride and see how things look then. Got to the 10 mile mark, rain had stopped, so I kept on going. Along the way thought of Marc and his 60 milers, says to myself if that lil bastid can do it so can I! In the end wound up with 40 miles at a 17.2 mph avg. This is the best I have done in at least 10 years, and more important then just doing it, was the fact that I felt good all the way, Didn't get 60 miles in, didn't even try, but know that it's within reach. Marc, Bruno, thanks you guys inspired me. :)

skibum1321

Two words I never thought I'd hear in a sentence together - Marc and inspired...

It downpoured around here all weekend. Hoping to get in a ride tonight.

bruno

andyzee said:
This is where I actually thaught of Bruno busting my chops, I decided to take a 10 mile ride and see how things look then. Got to the 10 mile mark, rain had stopped, so I kept on going. Along the way thought of Marc and his 60 milers, says to myself if that lil bastid can do it so can I! In the end wound up with 40 miles at a 17.2 mph avg. This is the best I have done in at least 10 years, and more important then just doing it, was the fact that I felt good all the way, Didn't get 60 miles in, didn't even try, but know that it's within reach. Marc, Bruno, thanks you guys inspired me. :)

andy! you da man!!!! 40 at 17.2? duder, you inspire me!!! the rain wasn't all that bad!! and ridin' in the rain, ya really deserve your beers or your wine or your pizza or your pasta or whatever ya re-fuel and reward yourself with!!

me? i was a slacker yesterday. just 18 miles all around town here in boston/somerville/cambridge doin' errands. so i didn't reward myself as much. no alcohol and vegetables all day. (but i like vegetables!!)

but way to go andyzee!!!:beer:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Actually, after about the first 10 miles, my avg. speed was as high as 18.3.
After that I hit some decent hills. In the old days, I would have laughed at these stats, now at the age of 49, damn, I'm proud. Still got something in me and I hope to keep pushing myself throughout the summer. Maybe even get a century in.

eatskisleep

Down to local dirtjumps then I got pictures while there. one mile each way... so 2 miles
Down to sand pits then to another street to setr off fireworks then back 1.75 miles

Last edited:

jplynch019

Bruno, Your enthusiasm is infectious! My daily commute is 40 miles round trip, and it has been great! I do have the luxury of having showers at work so that's good. I barely fill up the gas tank in the car at all.

And then for fun I ride on the weekends?

jplynch019

Andy,

Everyday 40 Miles (round trip commute to work)
avg speed 20 MPH to work,
avg speed 24 MPH on the way home

skibum1321

I went for a quick 17.5 mile ride around my house yesterday. It isn't the best area for riding as there aren't tons of long open roads to fly down. I had to stop quite a bit, which put my avg speed down to 17 mph.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I'll be out today for probably 20 miles but I have a dinner to go to at my parents' at six, so no long rides today. Maybe a long ride tomorrow, weather depending. Def. one Thursday, and hopefully Friday, a mountain ride Saturday, and maybe another long ride Sunday.

Andy, I'm glad I could help. :spin:

I'll think of you too, when I'm trying to increase my average speeds... "If that broken down old man can ride 17 mph, so can I..."

Although, despite your age, you have an unfair advantage being Polish. Tough old birds just get stronger with age. My 90 year old 100% Polish grandfather still walks 5-6 miles at the track a day, and my 101 year old Polish great aunt still mows her lawn with a pushmower and makes dinner for her 79 year old son.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Marc said:
Andy, I'm glad I could help. :spin:

I'll think of you too, when I'm trying to increase my average speeds... "If that broken down old man can ride 17 mph, so can I..."

Smart Ass! But that's what I was hoping for with this thread :)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
26 mile solo ride at 18 mph.

I'm confident I could've been faster if not for the wind. All though as my old man says, excuses are like a-holes....

The miles have def. kicked me back into shape. Now, unfortunately, is about when I should start to see the gains slow down, however.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
As a caveat to the 18 mph... that's an estimate knowing how far I rode and how long it took me. I only have accurate averages when I ride with Nate, my cycling buddy and cyclocomputer monkey.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Marc said:
As a caveat to the 18 mph... that's an estimate knowing how far I rode and how long it took me. I only have accurate averages when I ride with Nate, my cycling buddy and cyclocomputer monkey.

Buy yourself a computer you cheap bastid!! Good ride, looks like your improving.

Got in 14 @ 16.4 mph this morning.

jplynch019

Andy,

Road Bike. Specialized Allez Elite Triple ( 2004 ). Shimano 105.

jplynch019

jplynch019

Marc. I'm without a cyclocomputer too. But my commute is exactly 20 miles, so the math gets really easy. 1 hr = well, you get it. Shortest time home was 50 minutes. Wind at my back, temp around 60 traffic very light, hit mostly greens. A friend of mine also has all the computers and heart rate monitors, etc. If I'm not seeing stars or looking down the tunnel, I figure I'm good to go!

jplynch019

Hey, I'm 48! You can get back into top form as long as you haven't had any serious injuries or crashes. Proper diet and re-fueling is everything.