• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bike Log

bruno

44 miles yesterday includin' my 22 miles of commutin'. the rest was just ridin around lookin' at all the fine ladies we have here in the boston area this time o' year! can i get a hell yeah!!!!:daffy: :beer: :dunce: :smile: :p :flag: :snow: :-D

bruno

just to keep it goin'--only 25 miles yesterday. commute and goin' to the grocery store. had a crash on the way to work today and busted my cycloputer. the crash was my fault.:blink: :uzi: :lol: :evil: :roll:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
bruno said:
just to keep it goin'--only 25 miles yesterday. commute and goin' to the grocery store. had a crash on the way to work today and busted my cycloputer. the crash was my fault.:blink: :uzi: :lol: :evil: :roll:

OK, details?:roll:

bruno

andyzee said:
OK, details?:roll:

ok, i ran a redlight (i thought it was clear). jeep was comin' through, so i jammed on the front brake emergency style (i only have a front brake as i ride a fixed gear, but at least i run a front brake. some fixie riders don't) and went ass over tea kettle! got a good strawberry on my left side buttock and a scraped up left elbow (to match the one on my other elbow from a previous mishap).:puke:

dude in the jeep was all apologetic! i said "duder! it was my fault! hell i ran the freakin' light." i mean i take responsibility for my actions. ya gotta man up.:uzi:

but boys, i learned a valuable life lesson today--and that is not to run redlights unless ya make damn sho' ain't nobody comin'!!:roll: :daffy: :snow: :flag:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
bruno said:
ok, i ran a redlight (i thought it was clear). jeep was comin' through, so i jammed on the front brake emergency style (i only have a front brake as i ride a fixed gear, but at least i run a front brake. some fixie riders don't) and went ass over tea kettle! got a good strawberry on my left side buttock and a scraped up left elbow (to match the one on my other elbow from a previous mishap).:puke:

dude in the jeep was all apologetic! i said "duder! it was my fault! hell i ran the freakin' light." i mean i take responsibility for my actions. ya gotta man up.:uzi:

but boys, i learned a valuable life lesson today--and that is not to run redlights unless ya make damn sho' ain't nobody comin'!!:roll: :daffy: :snow: :flag:

Well glad you're OK.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
43 miles yesterday at 19.1 mph with Nate.

Not a perfectly flat ride but not too much elevation. A couple 3-400 ft climbs and rollers the rest of the ride.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
bruno said:
thanks man! went and got a replacement cycloputer a little while ago so i can keep up the ol' bike log. i know i'm a mileage geek!:beer: :spin: :daffy: :p
Been there, done that. :) Haven't been riding enough to worry about mileage, but working on getting back into it, hence this log. :)

bruno

Marc said:

Not a perfectly flat ride but not too much elevation. A couple 3-400 ft climbs and rollers the rest of the ride.

dude! big ups! nice ride!:beer: :daffy:

per usual i'm at work, so i'll get in the commute miles and then i plan on doin' some good ridin' after work. (then maybe a few brews if i ride enough!!:flag: :grin: )

kinda sore from my li'l crash yesterday.:grin: :roll: :-D :flag:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Marc said:

Good one! Work has kept me from riding the last few days, hope to get a good one in this weekend. Damn, you give me a lot to shoot for, don't think I'll top that one anytime soon. But, I can try :)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
jplynch019 said:
Marc. I'm without a cyclocomputer too. But my commute is exactly 20 miles, so the math gets really easy. 1 hr = well, you get it. Shortest time home was 50 minutes. Wind at my back, temp around 60 traffic very light, hit mostly greens. A friend of mine also has all the computers and heart rate monitors, etc. If I'm not seeing stars or looking down the tunnel, I figure I'm good to go!

Haha, my philosophy as well.

Bruno and Andy- thanks, it feels good to be improving. My climbing still needs a lot of work though.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Marc said:
Haha, my philosophy as well.

Bruno and Andy- thanks, it feels good to be improving. My climbing still needs a lot of work though.

When climbing, do you try to stay in the saddle or do you just automatically stand?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
andyzee said:
When climbing, do you try to stay in the saddle or do you just automatically stand?

Depends on a lot of things. How steep, how long, where in the ride, and whether or not I'm trying to keep up with someone else.

When I'm alone, I sit and spin for as long as possible, switching hand positions and front to back on the saddle. On long or especially steep climbs I'm up out of the saddle.

I have using the standing more and more, I can sometimes find a better rhythm that way.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Marc said:
Depends on a lot of things. How steep, how long, where in the ride, and whether or not I'm trying to keep up with someone else.

When I'm alone, I sit and spin for as long as possible, switching hand positions and front to back on the saddle. On long or especially steep climbs I'm up out of the saddle.

I have using the standing more and more, I can sometimes find a better rhythm that way.

I think that's a common mistake. I'm no great climber, but I found the more I stay seated the better. Yes there are times you have to climb out of the saddle, but I try to avoid as much as possible. I think that when you are climbing and get out of the saddle, you exert more energy due to the fact that you are now using your whole body as opposed to just your legs, yes initially your body weight may help, but in the long run, you exert more energy. I found that if I stay seated as long as possible I do far better. I think the most important think to keep in mind is your breathing. Try to keep those lungs open through the proper position. Sit up straight, hands on top of handle bars, keep the lungs expanded as much as possible and try not to move anything but your legs. At first this may seem more difficult, but if you stick with it, you'll find it gets easier all the time.Just my opinion, found it works for me, hope it helps.

bruno

50 miles including commute yesterday. gonna ride my ass off as i have sunday, monday, and tuesday off!! though i may go hikin' monday in da whites!!:flag: :flag: :flag: :grin: :beer: :beer: :spread: :daffy:

jplynch019

A lot of it depends on the terrain. During the Trek Across Maine there were many long climbs. On those I remained in the saddle and focused on cadence an breathing (gear selection was determined by keeping a steady cadence). During my commute to work there are a couple of short steep climbs that I know I'm better off standing and blasting up those quickly. It has two benefits: 1) if I've been sitting for awhile on the ride it gives my legs a well deserved stretch, and 2) the roads I ride are so narrow it gets me through "trouble spots" quickly. For example I almost got shoved off the road on one of these short climbs by a soccer mom driving a Ford Excursion who had 5 kids in the back and she was talking on the cell phone.

So now when I'm at that short, steep hill I'm immediately up off the seat so I can get through the danger zone fast.

I have 2 training hills near the house that are really steep. On those I have to "read" the terrain. Parts I sit, and parts I have to stand.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
The Good the Bad and the Ugly:

Good - Did 48.5 miles today with some decent climbs

Bad - Couldn't keep the same pace as last week's ride of 17.2. The wind, hills, and old age :) , kicked my butt, avg down to 16.2 MPH

Ugly - Not sure what it was, the weather, air quality, old age, or a combination. I was hurtin for the last 10 miles. My legs started cramping up, a little trouble catching a good deep breath, and some mild tightness in my chest. I had to pull over and rest until the breathing got better, cramps never fully went away. I did drink plenty of water during the ride, I also drank two cups of coffee before the ride, think that was a mistake.

Last edited:

bruno

andyzee said:
The Good the Bad and the Ugly:

Good - Did 48.5 miles today with some decent climbs

Bad - Couldn't keep the same pace as last week's ride of 17.2. The wind, hills, and old age :) , kicked my butt, avg down to 16.2 MPH

Ugly - Not sure what it was, the weather, air quality, old age, or a combination. I was hurtin for the last 10 miles. My legs started cramping up, a little trouble catching a good deep breath, and some mild tightness in my chest. I had to pull over and rest until the breathing got better, cramps never fully went away. I did drink plenty of water during the ride, I also drank two cups of coffee before the ride, think that was a mistake.

dude that's still a good ride. just take a little more recovery time and this ride'll stand ya in good stead! you stressed your systems good which, of course after a good recovery, will make you stronger. great effort!!!! keep it up!!!:flag: :beer: :beer: :daffy: :p :grin: