• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bike Log

jplynch019

Mileage

was calculatin' my mileage for the year and it came to just under 7000 miles. i wanna go 10000 this year.:beer::dunce::daffy:

Bruno,

10,000 miles divided by 47 weeks left in the year gives you 212 miles every week until the end of 2008. That doesn't account for anything you've ridden in January. I'm sure you got out on those warm days a couple of weeks ago.

I'm thinking of riding to Chicago and back this summer through Pennsylvania. Brutal hills there until Ohio, then wind in your face for another 3 or 4 days. Still just in the planning stages. That is only roughly 880 each way. Lot of riding to get 10k miles!

JP

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Bruno,

I'm thinking of riding to Chicago and back this summer through Pennsylvania. Brutal hills there until Ohio, then wind in your face for another 3 or 4 days. Still just in the planning stages.

Do it. I once rode from NJ to Cape Cod via NY, VT, NH, MA, one of the best vacations I ever had. I wasn't sure if I was going to do it until the last minute and was happy as hell I did. Made sure I packed everything I needed on my bike and purchased all the lightest camping gear out there. I would ride until it started getting dark, if there was a campground around great, if there wasn't, I would just find some woods and setup camp.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Been a long time since I checked out and posted in this thread...

Nice total, bruno. I ended the year with about 2500 on the road and I've been out on the mtn bike at least 100 times...don't really know the mileage out on the mtn bike. But this was my best year on 2 wheels!

(p.s. how is my new avatar looking? taken at Alta 1-22-08!)

jplynch019

Do it. I once rode from NJ to Cape Cod via NY, VT, NH, MA, one of the best vacations I ever had. I wasn't sure if I was going to do it until the last minute and was happy as hell I did. Made sure I packed everything I needed on my bike and purchased all the lightest camping gear out there. I would ride until it started getting dark, if there was a campground around great, if there wasn't, I would just find some woods and setup camp.
Andyzee, thanks for the encouragement. I'm planning on doing the light weight tour by credit card. I've already arranged a free night or two at friend's houses along the way. I do plan on packing a Hennessey Hammock ( http://www.hennessyhammock.com ) just in case I have to set up in the woods somewhere. My daily mile totals are aggressive at approximately 150 per day, but I'll have to see what happens when I get out on the road.

SKIQUATTRO

25 miles (road) nice ease 17.2 avg, fairly flat...havent been on the road in a few months so it felt good to be out..was doing more of a HR ride than time or speed...wanted to keep it in the 70% of Max, but the beers from the night before pushed me in the the mid 80%

marcski

25 miles (road) nice ease 17.2 avg, fairly flat...havent been on the road in a few months so it felt good to be out..was doing more of a HR ride than time or speed...wanted to keep it in the 70% of Max, but the beers from the night before pushed me in the the mid 80%

Nice, Quattro....I haven't been out on the road bike since October!!! I can't wait to get back out there on the road....I've gained about 10-15 lbs since Oct...and for the most part I've still been mtn biking about 4 days a week... Road biking is just an amazing exercise....considering I was only riding about 100 miles a week during the spring and summer and once stopping it equated to about 15 lbs. I'm hoping to get out on the mtn bike tomorrow morning.....

SKIQUATTRO

just doing some base training now, March 7 (bday!!) starts the 18wk training schedule for the Providence Half Ironman...just really got into training my Heart Rate with Zones etc...very cool....

marcski

Was out in the woods two mornings before work last week before this snow came in. Cold, but the trails were great, all crunchy and grippy.

We still have a couple of inches in most parts of the woods, but we're going in in the morning. Hopefully it will be frozen, which is grippy, as opposed to icy. We'll see. Going to be 19 degrees with a 15 mph northwest wind at 7 a.m.

davidhowland14

Website
www.frigidlight.com
I was all set for my first road ride of teh spring and then it started to rain. So my first road ride also happened to by my frist trainer ride of the year. I just couldn't get a rhythm going. I felt like my weight was way messed, there weren't any aerobars, and I couldn't get the resistance on the damn thing to work right. Frustrating, but hard work.

MonkeyBrook

I am also doing RI Half Iron, not really worried about bike leg as I have been on the trainer all winter. I know it is not the same but between that, skiing, running on the road...my legs and endurance are there. Now, just need to figure out how to get some swim time. The ocean swim in this event does not excite me at all.

jplynch019

Happy Birthday !

just doing some base training now, March 7 (bday!!) starts the 18wk training schedule for the Providence Half Ironman...just really got into training my Heart Rate with Zones etc...very cool....

Quattro, Happy Birthday! :beer:

davidhowland14

Website
www.frigidlight.com
got out on the bike again on thursday and overestimated the temperature. I only put on (and only have) shorts, and my legs were freezing. So i turned back and managed to put in about 1.5 miles. Only a few more weeks and I'll be fine pounding it outdoors again.

jplynch019

40 today (work commute). 25 degrees F this morning. Water bottle iced up a bit.

marcski

been hitting the trainer, itching to get back out on the road...

Same here...As far as itching to get back on the road bike. No trainer for me...although, someone just gave me a cyclops magnito (i think that's the model). Anyway, I have been out on the mtn bike in the local woods. 4 days last week. Couldn't pull my tired a*s out of bed this morning. I'm good for tomorrow though!

SKIQUATTRO

dont know what it is, but i dont mind skiing in cold weather, even sub zero, but hats riding when its cold....painfull

marcski

dont know what it is, but i dont mind skiing in cold weather, even sub zero, but hats riding when its cold....painfull

Yeah, for me its the wind when riding on the road that kills me. I'll go out on my mtn bike in all kinds of weather. This year was out there a few weeks ago when it was about 19 one morning. Road riding though...ouch!

jplynch019

Cold rides

Yeah the cold days can be a bit brutal. I was fortunate the wind was at my back on the commute in so I had some good speed going. I've been working at figuring out the right stuff to wear for a few years now. 2 Under-armour shirts, shorts with the long tights over them, 2 pairs of socks, and a pair of winter gloves that allow me enough dexterity to click the shifters. I also carry a back pack with my change of clothes in there, so that keeps me warm too. Parts that get coldest are the neck and feet. Spring's just around the corner, right?

cbcbd

I went out for some cold mountain rides this winter... booties were the clincher. I am so happy with them, my feet are always the first to go cold and the hardest to keep warm.

MonkeyBrook

Got out on the road today for the first time since November, short ride of 40 minutes. Followed it with a solid run...trainer has been retired for the year.