• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown Blizzard Jan-12-11

Greg

Staff member
Got to the mountain about 5:30. Had a great night with Grassi and gmcunni. Like they said, moguls everywhere. Good lines on Upper Nor'easter, Temptor and scattered about Gunny. I was feeling a lot better about missing the goods that the boys got this morning. That is until I watched that video. :( I actually took a few pics of the bumps in random spots but sort of feel silly posting camera phone night shots of moguls now...

A legendary storm, once every 10 years or so around here. Glad I at least grabbed some dribs and drabs of the experience.

Greg

Staff member
I gave that a hard look...Probably a 8ft drop into a flat landing with laurel sticking out...Madroch dont worry about the vid...I threw together an unedited one ..cooking now,,should be up soon

steveo

I've heard people talk about that drop. Their comment usually is something like, "well, you need like 2 feet of powder to hit that." Every time I've looked at it, I thought to myself, no way....we'll never have enough snow. My guess is that I'd say the same thing even today.

A51 looks great though. Let this base consolidate, and add another 6-12" and we're talking full on.

Glenn

Awesome guys. I really need to bring some spare gear down to CT so I can ski when it dumps hard midweek in CT.

thorski

In the flatlands of Ct. for a little bit longer.
I gave that a hard look...Probably a 8ft drop into a flat landing with laurel sticking out...Madroch dont worry about the vid...I threw together an unedited one ..cooking now,,should be up soon

steveo

It is about an 8' drop to a flat landing that's why i didn't hit it. If i'm not landing on a down slope it's not for me. The 15 year olds were having fun though.
I would compare the Satans Ridge woods at Sundown to Patsy's at Killington. If you are skiing and see Birch trees you know it's a good time.
If they cleared it out a little bit and blew snow in there that would be awesome. I could see Sundown clearing out some trees in between the two lifts and making a glade run there as well.

bvibert

Staff member
I actually took a few pics of the bumps in random spots but sort of feel silly posting camera phone night shots of moguls now...

Post them up! I'm curious to see how the mountain shaped up later in the day.

planb420

OMG this is the most powder I have ridden in over 10 years!!!!! WAIST DEEP in spots and I got to test the float of my rocker board for the first time...AWESOME, it was like watching a sub surface on the ocean because it would start out deep in the pow and then rise up to the top as I gained speed(fun to watch lol), here are some pics I was able to get while I was there from 9am till about 2pm, in one you can see I hit a deep spot off trail and got buried in waist high pow!

Last edited:

powhunter

pretty sure I saw ya coming down stinger, but didnt have time 8) to say hello..Awesome day for sure!!

steveo

Greg

Staff member
Post them up! I'm curious to see how the mountain shaped up later in the day.

Upper Nor'easter. Can't really tell, but there was a nice line sorta between the instructors:
2011-01-12_20_14_48.jpg

Gunny. This was typical side to side, top to bottom. Again, the bumps were bigger and more defined than they appear in this pic:
2011-01-12_20_50_08.jpg

Crappy pic, but Temptor had some of the best skier bumps:
2011-01-12_19_27_48.jpg

Greg

Staff member
Oh....and school is closed (!) so heading up with the girls in a bit.

bvibert

Staff member
Upper Nor'easter. Can't really tell, but there was a nice line sorta between the instructors:
2011-01-12_20_14_48.jpg

Gunny. This was typical side to side, top to bottom. Again, the bumps were bigger and more defined than they appear in this pic:
2011-01-12_20_50_08.jpg

Crappy pic, but Temptor had some of the best skier bumps:
2011-01-12_19_27_48.jpg

Looks pretty awesome! There were no defined bumps that I saw when I left (except the stuff that was already seeded).