• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/18 - 19 Storm Discussion Thread

Greg

Staff member
28 and light freezing rain. I didn't touch the snow on the driveway yet. Last thing I want to do is clear that and have any remaining sleet and freezing rain bond to the driveway.

WJenness

Just came back in from an interesting trip to lunch...

Snow was coming down in CHUNKS (not really flakes, just huge chunks of snow... fun to watch explode against your windshield).

All the roads here are completely snow covered and cars are slipping everywhere... This is going to be an INTERESTING commute home...

The snow has let up some, but there are a lot of people who are in the parking lot clearing their cars off... I think the mass exodus has begun.

-w

gmcunni

breakable crust in my backyard -
P1040499.JPG

deadheadskier

Staff member
Still all snow here on the NH seacoast. hopefully the rain line stays more south than expected

2knees

28 and light freezing rain. I didn't touch the snow on the driveway yet. Last thing I want to do is clear that and have any remaining sleet and freezing rain bond to the driveway.

no way in hell you're gonna clear all that frozen mess without it sitting on top of a few inches of snow. guy down the street was snowblowing. cant wait to see the look on his face when he gets home from work. bust out your iceskates.

hammer

no way in hell you're gonna clear all that frozen mess without it sitting on top of a few inches of snow. guy down the street was snowblowing. cant wait to see the look on his face when he gets home from work. bust out your iceskates.
Office parking lot is being plowed now, just after the snow is ended. Somehow I don't think this will be good.

drjeff

Office parking lot is being plowed now, just after the snow is ended. Somehow I don't think this will be good.

Nope. The spaces in my office lot that didn't get plowed this AM (while it was still snowing) look like they're going to be a heck of alot easier for our plow guy tonight than the spaces that did get plowed this AM, which now are pretty much an inch of compacted snow/sleet with a glaze of freezing rain on top which is currently getting some light drizzle added ontop of it at 33 degrees :eek: Lots of salt and sand will be needed, and hopefully the anticipated high of 41 degees here tommorrow will help too

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Nope. The spaces in my office lot that didn't get plowed this AM (while it was still snowing) look like they're going to be a heck of alot easier for our plow guy tonight than the spaces that did get plowed this AM, which now are pretty much an inch of compacted snow/sleet with a glaze of freezing rain on top which is currently getting some light drizzle added ontop of it at 33 degrees :eek: Lots of salt and sand will be needed, and hopefully the anticipated high of 41 degees here tommorrow will help too

Sounds like you'll need waders instead of snow boots. :idea:
Hard to believe I was blasting through pow two days ago.

drjeff

Sounds like you'll need waders instead of snow boots. :idea:
Hard to believe I was blasting through pow two days ago.

Not too bad wader wise. The most maintained surfaces that haven't been plowed to the pavement, but were treated kind of resemble a slurpee. The DRY snowpack though is pretty much soaking up most of the liquid like a sponge. If it gets to only 40 or so and cloudy as is forcasted for tommorrow, shouldn't be too many water issues in my neck of the woods

Greg

Staff member

Now that we're above freezing, I went ahead and cleared it before it got too heavy. Hoping I wasn't premature. Doesn't look like a lot of moisture left in this storm for us.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
About 6" here in Ashland so far and still snowing. No sign of change over yet. Looks like the mix line is around 101. If it stays all snow, dawn patrol tomorrow! If it changes and/or mixes, I'll save the legs for the weekend.

You guys down in SNE may be bumming, but this looks like a nearly perfect storm for northern ski areas as long as we don't get a frozen layer causing dust on crust. Even with a frozen layer topping it off, if Friday's storm holds true, this coming weekend could be absolute money.

planb420

Had a blast @ Sundown today while they were open from 9-12pm....the freezing rain :-( really came on in the last hour....but the earlier snow and sleet made for fun riding conditions :razz: for the first 2 hours....freshies on Gunbarrel, Temptor, Norester, and Exibition...I also was able to enjoy both parks without anyone else to have to share it with, just my tracks in the park ALL DAY:spin:8)

I was an Icecube when I left but it was worth it for the fast, fun, and empty slopes they had! SOOOO STOKED TO BE A LOCAL! ;-)

Thanks for keepin em spinnin as long as ya could Sundown!:beer:

wa-loaf

I've got about 6-7" inches of wet with crust on my driveway. Not looking forward to clearing it.

roark

^^ the same in SW NH. Hope the plow guy comes... barely made it in the driveway it was so dense! Still waiting to clear the walks since it's still freezing rain. Good base material for sure!