• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/18 - 19 Storm Discussion Thread

polski

Website
twitter.com
Surprised by how much snow we got here just west of Newburyport MA (~6") and how fluffy it was before sleet started mixing in around 2:15 p.m. And rain thus far has been much lighter than forecast. Would be happy to come out of this with snowpack at net breakeven - knee-deep - and bombproof. If the Thurs-Fri storm gives us the thumping that some models now project, the local drumlins will be as close to epic as drumlins can get.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
About 6" here in Ashland so far and still snowing. No sign of change over yet. Looks like the mix line is around 101. If it stays all snow, dawn patrol tomorrow! If it changes and/or mixes, I'll save the legs for the weekend.

You guys down in SNE may be bumming, but this looks like a nearly perfect storm for northern ski areas as long as we don't get a frozen layer causing dust on crust. Even with a frozen layer topping it off, if Friday's storm holds true, this coming weekend could be absolute money.

How's it holding up River?

Cannonball

Snowing all day in Lincoln, NH. Picked up 6+. No wind.

Sideways snow, ice, odd shaped shards, etc at Cannon. Absolutely howling. Wind blowing up the Zoomer lift and down the Peabody lift. Upper mtn on wind hold. Conditions varied from knee deep drifts to clear blue ice (on any given turn). No idea what it will look like there tomorrow.

roark

Serious crust in SW NH. Shoveled the walk. Freaking heavy. Great base material. Guess I'm working tomorrow.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Surprised by how much snow we got here just west of Newburyport MA (~6") and how fluffy it was before sleet started mixing in around 2:15 p.m. And rain thus far has been much lighter than forecast. Would be happy to come out of this with snowpack at net breakeven - knee-deep - and bombproof. If the Thurs-Fri storm gives us the thumping that some models now project, the local drumlins will be as close to epic as drumlins can get.

Same here 20 miles north. Just went to clean the cars off. There was a bit of a crust, but so far the net gain in snowpack is I'd guess around 5 inches.

eclaire

SkiNH snow alert text message gives the following totals:
8" Crotched, Pats & Ragged
7"Cranmore, King Pine
6" Blac, Gunstock, Sunapee, Waterville Valley
5" Cannon, Loon, Wildcat
4" Bretton Woods, Attitash

and still snowing..

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
We got about a foot (at least) here in Plymouth, VT. Skied at Okemo and it dumped all day. No one was there because the roads were bad, and conditions were outstanding!

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Well I always love a busted forecast. Lyndonville was predicted to get 3-5 inches and I would say my deck had at least 8" on it and by the time I was done shovelling it there was a half inch of new accumulation on the end I had started on :smile:. Started snowing right at 8:00 this morning. Straight sugar snow and no wind. It is still cold here to (20 degrees). My snow stake is measuring more than a foot for the first time since 2008-09 :daffy:
This should get the natural terrain at Burke really rolling. Seriously contemplating a dawn patrol tomorrow if I wake up to another 5" on the deck :snow: It would be nice to hike tomorrow without bitterly cold temps that usually follow right behind one of these storms.

Greg

Staff member
You guys down in SNE may be bumming, but this looks like a nearly perfect storm for northern ski areas as long as we don't get a frozen layer causing dust on crust. Even with a frozen layer topping it off, if Friday's storm holds true, this coming weekend could be absolute money.

Dontcha mean "crust on dust" :loil:

We ended up with a net gain today. Deep freeze coming and they're talking 6-12" Friday. Might be spending more time in the epic CT woods than skiing the bump course on Saturday.... :)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Dontcha mean "crust on dust" :lol:
Yea, that is the ticket.

Changed over to a wet mix sometime in the past few hours here. Not coming down too hard. Net gain for sure, especially when the cold air comes in following this event and locks up the consolidated snow pack. I am so pumped for this coming weekend! Friday's storm combined with the cold will ensure a low traffic powder day with most options on the table in NNE. Rocking.

jaja111

A dash of salt may help..

800px-Salt_mine_0096.jpg

Hey! That's my salt mine! (At least its 40 minutes south of me.)

WJenness

Sidewalks / parking lots in Lowell are TREACHEROUS tonight... Played soccer, then was supposed to meet some friends at the irish pub around the corner for trivia... Walked over there and almost fell quite a few times... I would have been MUCH better off with a pair of ice skates...

-w

Jisch

My driveway is a sheet of ice, not good (northern CT)

Glenn

We only had 2" of snow...and some serious crust. But I still took out the blower. That crap was heavy!

It was interesting hearing the branches stap and fall off a few of our neighbor's hemlock trees. :-o

ChileMass

What a mess. Heavy rain for several hours after almost 8" of snow. My driveway has an inch of ice on it. Time to get some more ice melt.