• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Catamount driving

lerops

I will be driving up to Catamount tomorrow for the day from NYC. Decided for the 50% more vertical over Mohawk with similar dump from the storm.

Question is whether there are better routes to avoid morning and evening commuter traffic. Google gives me three options: 684/22, Saw Mill/684/22 and Taconic. The first two are similar time, Taconic is ~15 minutes longer. Any reason to pick Saw Mill over 684?

catskillman

Not sure on the directions but that is a wise choice. Since they have not been open since the snow storm it will be untracked

enjoy

Grassi21

I will be driving up to Catamount tomorrow for the day from NYC. Decided for the 50% more vertical over Mohawk with similar dump from the storm.

Question is whether there are better routes to avoid morning and evening commuter traffic. Google gives me three options: 684/22, Saw Mill/684/22 and Taconic. The first two are similar time, Taconic is ~15 minutes longer. Any reason to pick Saw Mill over 684?

both will have similar traffic density. 684 is 2 and 3 lanes in some spots. Saw Mill is a tight 2 lanes and windy at points. Saw Mill also has 2 or 3 random traffic lights that slow down the flow of the highway.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I ski Catamount frequently. I believe the Taconic will be the fastest drive time from NYC, regardless of what your googlemaps is saying. It's a very easy drive. Just beware of the state troopers! Take the West side Hghy to Saw Mill to Taconic in Hawthorne or the Bronx River to Sprain to Taconic.

skidbump

most traffic is heading into westchester so 684 or sawmill is ok

taking 22 to 23 may be a little shorter but taconic may be quicker

lerops

I ski Catamount frequently. I believe the Taconic will be the fastest drive time from NYC, regardless of what your googlemaps is saying. It's a very easy drive. Just beware of the state troopers! Take the West side Hghy to Saw Mill to Taconic in Hawthorne or the Bronx River to Sprain to Taconic.
Thanks for the tip! The drive through Taconic was a breeze. It actually took me under 2 hours while Google said 2hrs 25 min.