• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Cabriolet ("Gondola") at Mountain Creek - LOL

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Yeah, hate it with a passion. Would rather ski down to the triple, but they never open it when I'm there. 2 years creek free...

x10003q

A 5 minute ride up and a 40 second ride down. Just plain stupid. It should have been a HSQ or HS6. I hate taking my skis off every couple of minutes.

I am proud to be Creek Free since 1/2/2001.

ERJ-145CA

I hate the Cab too but since it's 10 minutes from my house I go there a few times a season (weekday only). This year I have 2 Triple Play cards so it's $23 bucks a day, I just have to go there 6 times.

gladerider

haven't been there in years. i'd say it is the worst place in the east coast in my book.

bobbutts

Anybody ever ride this CONTRAPTION?

lol I knew I recognized that voice

youtube embedding disabled, link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKWmTuECYpY

Is it just me but aside from being a little "slow" is the guy in that vid the biggest pussy douchebag on earth?

Yeah we get the picture-you are cheap-pack a lunch and shut the fuck up please!

Seriously I hope he is gang raped by a pack of wild gorillas and gets full blown AIDs

Last edited:

legalskier

It should have been a HSQ or HS6. I hate taking my skis off every couple of minutes.

There weren't any HS6s around when the Cab was built. It blows away HSQs in terms of uphill capacity (easily fitting 6 or 7 riders and running at very fast speed), which is probably the thinking behind it. It also serves the MTB community in the off-season. But now that HS6s are sprouting up, it seems outdated.
I always avoid it whenever possible; it's irritating to constantly have to take my skis off for such a short ride. And now that the Sojourn lift is closed, effectively splitting MC in two, I have no plans for visiting this season.

Beetlenut

Intrawest! It figures! They put a similar abomination up at Stratton years ago, except it had a top. Looked like a phonebooth. Went to the top of the mountain, took about 7 minutes. Crappy part was you couldn't sit down, had to stand the whole way. They stuff about 10 people in there with skis! Idiots!!

gondola.jpg

Rambo

Intrawest! It figures! They put a similar abomination up at Stratton years ago, except it had a top. Looked like a phonebooth. Went to the top of the mountain, took about 7 minutes. Crappy part was you couldn't sit down, had to stand the whole way. They stuff about 10 people in there with skis! Idiots!!

Looks like there is a very narrow ledge around the inside you can kind of lean-on/sit-on.

Last edited:

jaywbigred

The Stratton gondi is horrid. I hate it with a passion.

Never been on the Mt. Creek gondi. Been Creek free since 1998.

The Canyons in Utah also has a cabriolet lift that goes from the parking lot to the main base.

gladerider

The Stratton gondi is horrid. I hate it with a passion.

Never been on the Mt. Creek gondi. Been Creek free since 1998.

The Canyons in Utah also has a cabriolet lift that goes from the parking lot to the main base.

they have the same thing at tremblant to service from the parking lot level lower mt to the base.

Beetlenut

Looks like there is a very narrow ledge around the inside you can kind of lean-on/sit-on.

There is, but it's too small to take any weight off your legs, and with 8 to 10 other people with skis and poles, there's not much ledge left. It's more dangerous in that thing with all the skis and poles flailing about, then it is actually skiing! I remember all the buzz before Stratton got that gondi, how everyone was stoked that they were getting a gondi to the top and it would eliminate two chairs. Then they put that POS in, and everybody hated it. Everyone still took the two separate chairs, until they took the mid-mountain one out, then that was the only option to the top from the base in one shot. Another stupid management decision from on high! They're lucky they have that village and condos with their captive clientele.

jaywbigred

. Then they put that POS in, and everybody hated it. Everyone still took the two separate chairs, until they took the mid-mountain one out, then that was the only option to the top from the base in one shot. Another stupid management decision from on high! They're lucky they have that village and condos with their captive clientele.

Your post is confusing. What do you mean by "one shot". Wouldn't riding two chairs != one shot?

In any event, unless I missed something, this is flat out wrong information, no? The Ursa chair is still there, and as a gondi hater, in years past, I used AmEx to Ursa almost exclusively to access the top.

Beetlenut

Your post is confusing. What do you mean by "one shot". Wouldn't riding two chairs != one shot?

In any event, unless I missed something, this is flat out wrong information, no? The Ursa chair is still there, and as a gondi hater, in years past, I used AmEx to Ursa almost exclusively to access the top.

No, two chairs = two shots! Take one chair, get off, ski to second chair, get on second chair, take it to the top. "In one shot", as in you get on at the base, and get off at the true summit. The Ursa chair went in years later. Actually it replaced an old fixed tripple. If you want to ski anything on skiers left of the mountain once you get off the Ursa chair, you have to hike UP the hill to get to the true simmit and get on the other side of where the gondi unloads! It only takes a few cycles of AmEx->Ursa before the group gets tired of hiking UP every time they get off the lift. The AmEx chair is usually mobbed by beginners during the peak hours of the day too. And they almost never run the Snow Bowl lift. A lot of Strattons best terrain is on the skiers left of the mountain, I believe that's why they put the gondi there in the first place, to make it easier to do laps on that side of the mountain.

x10003q

There weren't any HS6s around when the Cab was built. It blows away HSQs in terms of uphill capacity (easily fitting 6 or 7 riders and running at very fast speed), which is probably the thinking behind it. It also serves the MTB community in the off-season. But now that HS6s are sprouting up, it seems outdated.
I always avoid it whenever possible; it's irritating to constantly have to take my skis off for such a short ride. And now that the Sojourn lift is closed, effectively splitting MC in two, I have no plans for visiting this season.
Stratton (at the time owned by Intrawest) installed the American Express HS6 in 1995.
In 1998, the year the Cab was installed at MC, Copper Mtn, Park City, and Crystal Mtn (Wash) all installed HS6 lifts. The capacity of the Cab is 2400/hour. This is exactly the same capacity as the Bear Peak and South Peak HSQs. I do think the potential mountain bike use pushed the decision to the Cab.
Link

Stratton's silly gondola was installed by the then owner Victoria Co, a Japanese sporting goods company, in 1988. Victoria sold Stratton to Intrawast a few years later.