• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/21 Storm Discussion Thread

drjeff

Going to be dryer snow than todays event, and then a BUNCH of layers will be needed to enjoy the fluff on Saturday! The North Pole appears to be headed for New England behind this one

Glenn

I love the weather pattern we're in...I really do. Keep em comming!

UVSHTSTRM

Update me on this. I have heard "storm", but haven't heard prelim snow amounts. I hear "storm" used way to often (by those on TV, pushing ad revenue) when amounts are 3-6 inches. Not sure if it's my Maine roots or what, but 8-12 is a storm, 3-6 is a quick shovel and go about my day. This will be all snow as well correct? I know temps will drop as the week goes on, but wasn't sure if there were any rain/snow line type crap with this one.

WJenness

BIG NUMBER, BIG NUMBER, NO WHAMMY, NO WHAMMY....

b-peters.jpg

(anti-caps)

-w

MommaBear

I love the weather pattern we're in...I really do. Keep em comming!

Obviously a man without kids...lol! We are on day 3 of "snow days" to be made up. Not to mention vacation time used to stay home with them. Wouldn't be so bad if we could time it right to be in VT skiing...but the cancellations come too late to maneuver quickly enough.

gmcunni

Obviously a man without kids...lol! We are on day 3 of "snow days" to be made up. Not to mention vacation time used to stay home with them. Wouldn't be so bad if we could time it right to be in VT skiing...but the cancellations come too late to maneuver quickly enough.

our 4th day here.. already talk of cutting short Feb school vacation, which is fine with my kids since we'll be away and they won't be affected.

drjeff

our 4th day here.. already talk of cutting short Feb school vacation, which is fine with my kids since we'll be away and they won't be affected.

The town that my office is in hasn't had the kids in school in a week :eek: Last wed/thurs - snow days, Friday - staff development day, Monday - holiday, snow day today - Hope the kids will like going to school on the 4th of July! :lol:

Glenn

I figure at this rate, the kids will be in school until July!

It is hard to time the storms. Seems like the only way to ski in it is to be up before the fact.

psyflyer

Today burke got 6-10 inches, solid 10 inches past 3000 feet. It snowed all day and still going. There were maybe 25 people on the whole mountain and we rode glades all day. It was an awesome day chasing powder knee deep in places in offmarked glades like furburger, memorable day indeed. Glades are in phenomenal shape, come enjoy them this weekend as they are better now than at any point last season. We were supposed to get 3 inches by tonight and a further 3 by tomorrow, instead at circa 1500 feet (home) we have 6 already, and hoping for more into tomorrow. Classic day at Burke, mountain should be 100% open (it was for us:). What a day. :snow:

Glenn

NWS out of Upton is saying advisory...maybe warning levels for CT.

NWS out of Albany: HIGHLY PRELIMINARY
ACCUMULATIONS POINTS TOWARD HIGH END ADVISORY LEVEL SNOW ALONG AND
SOUTH OF I90 IN NY...INCLUDING SOUTHERN VT AND THE BERKS WITH
VALUES OF 4-7 INCHES. FURTHER NORTH...2-5 INCHES WHICH WILL BE
BORDERLINE HEADLINES.

Gil on News8 said the timing for this one in CT is starting around 1AM...then ending at 2PM.

drjeff

We need 3 things to come together to change this from a light/moderate storm to a significant storm.

#1 the basis of this storm is a moisture starved Alberta Clipper type low that will be moving in from the Great Lakes area and is projected to hit the Atlantic at the Jersey Shore and track South of Long Island/Nantucket.

The questions to to determined, is how quickly/slowly will this storms Eastward progess be. How slowly/rapidly will it intensify when it gets over the waters of the Atlantic, and lastly how much of the cold, DRY Arctic air will be in place at the beginning of the storm.

If this storm is moving East too quickly, the it will be further away as it intensifies, thus keeping snow totals down, especially in Western New England. Same thing if it's intensification happens a little slower than expected. Lastly, if more Arctic air is inplace at the inception of the storm, then it will take abit longer to staurate the atmosphere from cloud to ground and get the snow reaching the ground.

Gotta watch those 3 things, but as of now the best bets for higher snow totals would be over Eastern New England

MommaBear

It is hard to time the storms. Seems like the only way to ski in it is to be up before the fact.

That is why I sign on here - gets me the weather better than the weatherman! lol! And with a lot more notice. I see the speculation threads start and I start rearranging client load. I just don't like to pull the kids from school - so I need a pretty certain "snow day" indication before I head out the night before with them. We've only been successful a couple of times. But they were so worth it!

Glenn

I hear ya! When the planets align and you can be there, it's really sweet.

This storm looks so-so. We may end up with more in CT than VT. But snow is snow! And I'm sure it will bring people up North.